Low Calorie Caffeine Drinks

Options
Every afternoon I find myself needing a caffeine boost, but I don't like to drink diet sodas. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    I wanted to try using caffeine for weight loss (essentially what diet pills are made of, anyway) and was looking for cheap, caffeniated drinks to no avail. To that end, I picked up a bottle of caffeine pills for about $7 for 100 100mg tablets. You can get them at any drug store, usually on the bottom shelf, covered in shame. They've had a stigma in our culture ever since Jessy Spano got addicted to them.

Used responsibly, they work great. Just don't go crazy, I would recommend no more than 400mg spread out over a day, maximum, probably less. Also, be aware that when you stop taking them you should wean yourself down 50g a week until you're off, otherwise you'll get terrible withdrawal.
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    and yes, everyone who needs to be argumentative, i know diet pills don't work and you'll just gain the weight back blah blah blah.

that's true if someone doesn't know how to eat. I do. I've been at my current weight for two years without gaining. I know how to maintain. I just decided this summer that I wanted to go full throttle to drop a bunch of weight before going back to a new, adjusted maintenance level. Caffeine helped me curb appetite, gave me energy, and helped out a LOT.

If you go off caffeine and just start eating garbage all the time again, of course you'll gain it back.
  • malayabee
    Options
    Tea! I typically make a cup of tea every afternoon between 2 and 3pm. I add a little sugar (or you could sub Splenda or whatever you like). You could even add a splash of milk for some added nutrients.
  • gwenr
    gwenr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I just posted this on the other thread about new low calorie finds but it applies to this post too.....try Lipton Tea & Honey packets in your water. Only 5-10 cals with as much caffenine as a cup of coffee.
  • nrd2212
    nrd2212 Posts: 128
    Options
    black coffee, <5 calories a cup.
    green tea, 0 calories a cup
  • kelleyp31
    Options
    If your looking for a drink, I like rockstars once in a while. I get the no sugar no carbs one, its only 10 calories and 60 mg of sodium and gives me a good boost when I need it.
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    green tea, it's also a metabolism booster. bonus!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    black coffee or unsweetened tea.
  • AimeeCu
    Options
    Are you sure its a caffeine boost your needing or is your blood sugar low? For the longest time I thought it was caffeine I needed around 3pm every day so I would drink a coke because I too hate diet soda. The amount of calories and sugar in one soda is shocking!!! A friend mentioned that my blood sugar was probably low so I should try a high energy snack. To my surprise swapping my coke for a snack had the exact same result (energy) and 1/3 of the calories/sugars. It also kept my energy level up longer as the sugar coma didn't set in at 5pm.

Here is a link for snack ideas. http://www.examiner.com/article/top-18-high-energy-snacks-to-eat-on-the-go
  • chelleb1974
    chelleb1974 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    4C makes some water flavor sticks with caffeine in them. They are 10 calories a stick and are sweetened with Splenda. My store carries them in a variety pack (orange, strawberry and berry flavors). I like them when I need caffeine but don't want to drink full-sugar soda. I can't drink diet soda (wicked headaches from aspartame), so this is what I choose to drink.

~Chelle
  • lmeasterling
    lmeasterling Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If I need a little boost, I drink Crystal Light Energy (wild strawberry flavored) mixed in sparkling water - it has caffeine, B vitamins & fizz! :)
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Black coffee or clear tea. You can add honey to it as well - on average, about 60 calories a tablespoon, but when compared to the calories in a can of pop, significantly less.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    My husband likes caffeine pills. I just make good coffee at home and take it in a thermos and only put Stevia in it (I love the English Toffee flavored Stevia) Yum. I only have half and half in it as a treat on occasion. Oh and the starbucks instant coffee packets are AWESOME. My husband puts them in his protein shakes (which are more like healthy milkshakes and not necessarily low in calories but he can afford the calories since he's a tall guys).
  • vanessairene
    vanessairene Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If I need a little boost, I drink Crystal Light Energy (wild strawberry flavored) mixed in sparkling water - it has caffeine, B vitamins & fizz! :)

These are good. And Mio makes a liquid water enhancer with some caffeine and b vitamins too. The crystal lights almost have too much buzz in them for me, so I like the mio because it's easier to only put a little in and adjust.
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    When I need a pick me up, I drink Monster Rehab with rojo tea. It's about ten calories per serving. Usually Monster makes me sick to my stomach, but the one with rojo tea does not.
  • gillsta_21
    gillsta_21 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I tried some Lipton Green tea with citrus today and it was delicious! Thanks for all the advice!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Harney & Sons Hot Cinnamon Spice Tea.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Coffee of course
  • wazzanz
    Options
    black coffee.

you will start to really appreciate good coffees vs bad too.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    V8 Fusion + Energy has as much caffeine as a cup of coffee. Also counts as a serving of fruit/vegetable. Yum.
    (and it's only 50 calories)