Is housework considered excersise?

Options

Replies

• SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    i don't clean, my husband does all the housework, so when i do bother to do it, i list it. i do laundry and cat pans every week, so i don't list it, but if i got wild and busted out the vacuum i would list it.
  • MonicaMeeks
    MonicaMeeks Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You are hilarious. And no hair cuts do not count as exercise.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I feel that if it's something more than you would normally do when cleaning - like moving furniture, scrubbing walls, scouring grout... then you can log it. But don't be overly generous with the time.
  • carolebville
    carolebville Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My motto is .... if you work up a good sweat, then I count it. Otherwise, I don't count it.....like walking the laundry up and down the stairs. I don't count it.....because it's something I would normally do. I never lost weight by doing it before!!!!
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I think it counts...If it's truly "serious" cleaning. Your general vacuuming and stuff, I don't count. But when I move furniture or stuff like that, I log it. As circuit training!
  • ThatDarnZach
    ThatDarnZach Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I consider it exercise because I always bring my stereo downstairs with me and play loud music while I clean the kitchen or the living room and dance/jump/sing/play. By the time I'm done, I'm sweating, out of breath, and starving! That's not what I would have done before MFP but now I just use it as extra cardio time! However, I always underestimate the amount of time that I'm doing that to account for error. If I clean for 2 hours, I'll put in one.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Good question, I'm getting my hair cut later on today, can I count this as exercise?

I love how the men post things like this.. Maybe if they DID house work they would know you can break a big sweat scrubbing the shower and moving the furniture all day.

edit: Not all men... just the majority I know.

Can.....but usually dont.......If you or the OP is really that worried about it wear a HRM....then you will know for sure. I worked my *kitten* off around the house for 3 hours at one spell this weekend.....for grins I wore mine.....at the end of 3 hours I had burned 300.......I would have burned over 200 sleeping. I would say don't count it.....but that's just me.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    If you were truly hungry, you should just eat something. Or you could just use it in your favor and stick to whatever your plan is. Counting things like housecleaning is silly as there is no real way to log it accurately.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I consider it exercise because I always bring my stereo downstairs with me and play loud music while I clean the kitchen or the living room and dance/jump/sing/play. By the time I'm done, I'm sweating, out of breath, and starving! That's not what I would have done before MFP but now I just use it as extra cardio time!

Richard Simmons is that you? I love to sweat to the oldies while I clean.....
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    DavPaul says you can burn 1000 calories in 30 minutes cleaning your house if you work hard enough.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Well, is it? I have been doing fall house cleaning (I mean serious cleaning, including furniture moving) for the past 3 days and I am exhausted. However, I have not logged it as exercise. Given how hungry have been (probably due to the physical exertion) I think it should count for some extra exercise calories I could eat back.

...and if I do count it, how many calories does it actually burn up?

Yes, if whatever you are doing, even if its housework is working you out then count it.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I personally have my settings set to sedentary since I have a desk job. I sit on my butt most of the day. If I decide "instead of sitting, I'm going to scrub my walls from top to bottom" and in turn I break out a sweat, I will log it. Because it's something I knowingly go out of my way to do. However, I completely underestimate. If I clean for 60 minutes, I may log it as 20-30 mins, and then reduce the calorie count as well. I generally only give myself an additional 1-2 cal per min for stuff like that.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    i don't clean, my husband does all the housework, so when i do bother to do it, i list it. i do laundry and cat pans every week, so i don't list it, but if i got wild and busted out the vacuum i would list it.

Careful with that vaccum. Push it around for too long and you'll get MAD biceps!
  • lmeasterling
    lmeasterling Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Good question, I'm getting my hair cut later on today, can I count this as exercise?

Absolutely! And be sure to weigh yourself afterwards...you've probably lost at least a few ounces! haha. :wink:
  • ThatDarnZach
    ThatDarnZach Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I consider it exercise because I always bring my stereo downstairs with me and play loud music while I clean the kitchen or the living room and dance/jump/sing/play. By the time I'm done, I'm sweating, out of breath, and starving! That's not what I would have done before MFP but now I just use it as extra cardio time!

Richard Simmons is that you? I love to sweat to the oldies while I clean.....

It's the only way to make it bearable!!
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options

I love how the men post things like this.. Maybe if they DID house work they would know you can break a big sweat scrubbing the shower and moving the furniture all day.

This!

I personally don't count it and class it as a bonus but hunni this is your journey, if it exerted you, made you sweat then add it. Do what you feel is right for you, good luck! x
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If you were truly hungry, you should just eat something. Or you could just use it in your favor and stick to whatever your plan is. Counting things like housecleaning is silly as there is no real way to log it accurately.

You can check with a HRM. I did that and it was telling me that housework was exercise :)
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    I do if it's something big. Like last week we had people coming over and I spent an hour scrubbing the hell out of my disgusting hard water stained bathtub. My arms, shoulders, and *kitten* (sitting in squat position for an hour) hurt for two days! HAHAHA I don't for regular everyday stuff though. It's listed on my fitness pal though, you can enter light or heavy cleaning.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options

So AGREE!!!!!!!!!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I got this big doing house work. It was part of my normal routine....so for me I don't count it.