so happy

Options
i was wondering is it true that u burn more calories if u heart rate is increased or is it all down to your metabolism???? i want to get up to a heart rate of 150 is that good or should it be lower???

i do alot of cardio and spin classes everyday and just wondered what is the danger zone of increased heart rate???? i want to keep within the safe limits tomrrow

thanks everyone :flowerforyou:

Replies

• PaigeG
    PaigeG Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Each person is different so there is no way to tell where you should be with your heart rate. However, most charts calculate it like this:

220 - your age = maximum heart rate
    Max heart rate x .65 = low end of target zone
    Max heart rate x .85 = high end of target zone

This will give you an idea of the range of where you should be. I just purchased a heart rate monitor (you can find them as low as $40 everywhere) and that will really help you know where to get your heart to. Good luck!
  • lwest008
    lwest008 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The quick answer is your maximum heart rate is 220-age, and from your profile I see you're 22yrs, so that would 198 beats per minute/max.

This does not mean that if you go over 198 beats per minute your heart will stop or you are in a danger. From there is dependes on what zone you want to be working in, and a general guideline for maximal fitness benefits is 60-85% of your max HR = 119- 158 bpm. When interval training you may want to increase it up above that for short bursts, and then bring it back down during active recovery. As for danger, it is unlikely that you would be able to maintain a HR of above 190 for very long because your other systems (ie. lungs, muscles) will signal you to slow down.

Now the calory burn question - this is dependent on a combination of factors including your metabolism, your gender, height and weight, your muscle mass etc. To increase your metabolism, thus increasing your calorie burn at both rest and during activity, you should incorporate weight training at least 3 times a week in addition to your cardio routine. When you are doing cardio, try to work at an intensity of about 150-168 bpm with intervals of active rest to challenge your body causing it to burn more calories.

Just a disclaimer, this information is based on nothing but your age and assuming you are a healthy individual. If you have any health issues, please speak to your physician before adjusting your routine.
  • ccdo
    ccdo Posts: 217
    Options
    Each person is different so there is no way to tell where you should be with your heart rate. However, most charts calculate it like this:

220 - your age = maximum heart rate
    Max heart rate x .65 = low end of target zone
    Max heart rate x .85 = high end of target zone

This will give you an idea of the range of where you should be. I just purchased a heart rate monitor (you can find them as low as $40 everywhere) and that will really help you know where to get your heart to. Good luck!

thanks so so much i do have a HRM polar F4 its extremely accurate ill do those calculations now and see what i come up with thanks again :flowerforyou:
  • ccdo
    ccdo Posts: 217
    Options
    The quick answer is your maximum heart rate is 220-age, and from your profile I see you're 22yrs, so that would 198 beats per minute/max.

This does not mean that if you go over 198 beats per minute your heart will stop or you are in a danger. From there is dependes on what zone you want to be working in, and a general guideline for maximal fitness benefits is 60-85% of your max HR = 119- 158 bpm. When interval training you may want to increase it up above that for short bursts, and then bring it back down during active recovery. As for danger, it is unlikely that you would be able to maintain a HR of above 190 for very long because your other systems (ie. lungs, muscles) will signal you to slow down.

Now the calory burn question - this is dependent on a combination of factors including your metabolism, your gender, height and weight, your muscle mass etc. To increase your metabolism, thus increasing your calorie burn at both rest and during activity, you should incorporate weight training at least 3 times a week in addition to your cardio routine. When you are doing cardio, try to work at an intensity of about 150-168 bpm with intervals of active rest to challenge your body causing it to burn more calories.

Just a disclaimer, this information is based on nothing but your age and assuming you are a healthy individual. If you have any health issues, please speak to your physician before adjusting your routine.

thanks this was very very informative and now feel confident enough to work at a high rate thanks so ill make sure i dont exceed 190 which i doubt ill ever get to that but ye thanks very much im now prepared for tomorrow and ill also incorporate some weight training like u said along with the estimated heart rate u have stated

:flowerforyou: