college student looking for some support :)

Options
My name is ally. This isn't my first time starting MFP but I need it to be my last. I have lost 20 pounds following Weight Watchers about a year ago but I needed to save money so I started trying my own weight loss programs, without success. I have never tried a low carb diet but I figure I have nothing to lose. Is there anyone else working on a low carb diet? :) I would love some advice. If not, support for general weight loss always helps and I can return the favor!

Replies

• SlimSlow15
    SlimSlow15 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi Ally,

I'm also a college student, trying to lose weight for my health. I joined the site today (9/10). I don't know what kind of resources your school has, but mine has a free medical clinic and a registered dietitian. The university's dietitian is who referred me to this site.

I'm not sure how good a low-carb diet is for you. Most low-carb diets seem to leave out a lot of beneficial foods and are high in fat. Being a college student, you're going to need carbs to keep your brain functioning. Your brain depends on glucose in your blood for energy. Blood glucose comes from carbohydrates.

If your school has an available dietitian that you can meet with, you might want to go that route and let him/her know about your goals. They will be able to help you set reasonable goals that will last rather than goals you can't keep up because they are too restrictive.
  • StephanieEmpson
    Options
    Hi Ally,

I agree with mholt3 regarding the meeting with a nutritionist (if available to you).

However that being said, you may already have advice from a medical professional. But if you have problems that require you to need a low carb diet, then you really should stick with that. There are lots of alternatives out there for lowering carbs and that will help reduce calories at the same time. If you are heavy (and I have to assume that you are), you may end up a diabetic and be forced to eat low carb meals to keep your sugar in the proper range.