First day and had too much protein!

Options
This is my first day and I have just completed the food diary. Everything is under except protein? Can having too much protein make you gain weight?
Thanks
Coll :frown:

Replies

• deep220
    deep220 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    How much protein did you have?
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am looking forward to the replies you get. I have been just about a week...and I am always over on protein!!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The protein goal on here is very low, only 15% of your daily calories. Think of it as a minimum to exceed instead of a maximum to stay under.
  • heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition, this is just a good thing. The protein number isn't a limit that you should stay under, it's a minimum goal to be reached. It's just positive if you go over with a lot, just like vitamins for example.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Certain things should be considered maximums (like carbs and fat and sodium). Others should be considered minimums (like vitamin c, fiber, and protein).

As long as you aren't going overboard and getting double your proteins and barely any fat or carbohydrates at all, you're probably just fine.
  • coll05
    coll05 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    thanks guys... i went over by 20. Ok i won't worry about this too much then :o)
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Then if it is under it should turn red and over green...instead of what it does...

Thanks. Sorry Im anal and a data analyst ... LOL.

Thank you for the replies cause I was getting ready to post this same question the OP had!!!!
  • Erykah3584
    Erykah3584 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Having too much protein will not make you gain weight. :) Your body will just get rid of any extra through your urine. Making sure you don't go over on your sodium and calories are more important.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Dont worry about it this site is way way low on that
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    The protein is set as a minimum just like fiber, calcium, etc. Across the bottom of my diary I have calories-carbs-fat-protein-fiber-calcium. At the end of the day I like to see green-green-green-red-red-red.

Edited to add: And I know you didn't ask, but don't freak out about the sugar on here. That really is set crazy low. A piece or two of fruit, and your sugar for the day is shot. I'm over every single day, and losing just fine. :smile:
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Protein helps build muscle. It's good to have a lot of it.
  • LisaR86
    LisaR86 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'll be curious on the response to this myself. I'm just starting my third week and have been over on the protein a few times, under fat & carbs.
  • mattyb1971
    Options
    I've just started recently, and I also seem to be over on my protein with regularity.

Week 1 Ratios: 56% Carb / 24% Fat / 19% Protein
    Week 2 Ratios: 53% Carb / 25% Fat / 22% Protein

Not what they want, but not bad. The way I look at it, as long as I'm feeling great and staying within my calorie limit, it's all good.
  • lunenburger70
    lunenburger70 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is perfect timing! I just realized a few minutes ago that I went over on my protein today, too and the day is only half over. I was worried. But now I can relax! Great answers :-) I used to have trouble eating ENOUGH protein...good to know that that too much is not such a bad thing. Thanks!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Is there such a thing as "too much" protein? The more protein you eat, the easier and faster your weight loss will be. Unless you have a medical condition that causes your problems when you eat too much protein, eat as much as you want. It's the carbs, sugar and sodium that you really need to cut back on when on a weight loss plan.

BTW: I eat about 130 grams of protein a day and am feeling marvelous!
  • esteeetee
    Options
    Protein isn't bad. I'm over pretty much every day. And sugar which is somewhat worse. But don't worry, athletes, body builders, serious gym freaks load up on protein shakes several tines a day. And if you ate exercising it just helps repair and build your muscles ,
  • esteeetee
    Options
    Protein isn't bad. I'm over pretty much every day. And sugar which is somewhat worse. But don't worry, athletes, body builders, serious gym freaks load up on protein shakes several tines a day. And if you ate exercising it just helps repair and build your muscles ,
  • coll05
    coll05 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks your answers have really helped me! Glad that I am not the only one...
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    People with bad kidneys should watch their protein intake, other than that, you can eat as much protein as you want. Your body will flush out what it does not need, this is why urine can smell so strong sometimes.

And like everyone else on here has stated, the protein amount is set way to low on MFP. You should try to get at least 1 gram per desired body weight.
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    You can also change the MFP defaults by going back into your Goals then do Custom settings. Change the %'s (such as 40% Carbs/40% Protein/20% Fat or 40%/30%/30%). Save changes and use the new settings as your targets.