Been down this road before.THIS hopefully is the last time

Options
Im a 20 year old, 345 lbs college student from Ashland,KY. Im looking for support in this journey. My mother passed away 3 months ago due to not taking care of her diabetes, diabetes runs rampant in my family and Im not falling prey to it. Im wanting to be down to 215 by the one year anniversary of my mothers death 6/12/13 .

Replies

• mommypenney
    Options
    Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your mom. That must have been really tough for you. I'm sure she would be very proud to see the effort you
    are going to to prevent it happening to you.
    I'm pretty new to this although I registered quite a while back. I never really got into it properly but something changed the other dy an I said enough is enough. The forums on here are great, lots of lovely, genuine people who are there to give good advice, share their ups and downs and more importantly their to listen.
    Good luck with your journey .. I know you'll do well. You've taken a huge step and now its just taking each little step at a time xx
  • ditzyFlip
    ditzyFlip Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hiii ~

When life and diet look glum, remember that you can turn to the MFP community for support. :) I hope you reach your goal before your mother's anniversary.
  • yvonnemoore003
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear aboutu you mom but I am glad to hear that you are taking steps to better your health. I too am at risk for Type II diabetes. I had Gestational Diabetes while I was pregnant 8 years ago. I have also started and restarted my weigh loss journey so many times. We can't change what happened in the past but we can focus on what we do today. Don't try to change everything about yourself in one day. Small changes and good choices every day will add up to big results.
  • menders92
    menders92 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for such kind words. My original goal was 215 by my 21st birthday, but seeing as its now September and my birthday is 4 months a way that seems highly unlikely LOL :laugh:
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Good luck.
    I find that logging in my meals to "my confessor" has kept me consistent and stopped me cheating.
    I am sorry to hear about your mother. If I can help in any way, let me know.

We use stones and pounds - or kilos - over here so I find your lbs difficult to relate (14 lbs = 1 stone). I know I only have to do the sums but I'm lazy. (If I wasn't I suppose I wouldn't have been 120 kilos when I started here just over a month ago.)
  • menders92
    menders92 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Good luck.
    I find that logging in my meals to "my confessor" has kept me consistent and stopped me cheating.
    I am sorry to hear about your mother. If I can help in any way, let me know.

We use stones and pounds - or kilos - over here so I find your lbs difficult to relate (14 lbs = 1 stone). I know I only have to do the sums but I'm lazy. (If I wasn't I suppose I wouldn't have been 120 kilos when I started here just over a month ago.)

my friend I am 24.6 Stone...thats a LOT of stones
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    My 'friend' Google tells me that 120 K = 264 lbs, if that helps to equate

I have a patient who lost 7 stone in 4 months - so it's 'doable' or so close as to be a heck of a difference - and the psychological effect of getting under 20 stone is IMMENSE (I wasn't always this sylph-like 110 kilos but it was much harder than it has been since logging in to Myfitnesspal.com)

I'm looking to trade in my Party 7 for a 6-pack - just give me time!
  • Todd08
    Todd08 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    MFP is a good place for community for support! Feel free to add me!
  • dijonwillis
    Options
    Thats a great way to stay motivated, she will be proud of you no matter what, just remember that. Add me if you'd like :)
  • smh19692000
    smh19692000 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, good fortune in your jourmey through weightloss. Please reach out via the MFP forums and community it will help you stay motivated and inspired to keep going. I give thanks for a higher power in my weightloss journey giving me the inner strength to keep going.

All the best Xx
  • linnamor
    Options
    I'm fairly new to this site but if I can offer any support count me in. All the women in my family have suffered from diabetes and I have been diagnosed as borderline several times. However with healthy eating and light exercise I have now been clear for 6 months so I am determined to beat it.

Don't worry if you don't reach your goal first time. Steady weight loss is a healthier way to do it anyway.
  • Sarahsarahsarahk
    Sarahsarahsarahk Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your journey! You came to the right place to look for support! You have a great goal! :)
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Diabetes runs in my family as well and I didn't want to travel down that path. I tried losing weight so many times I can't count them on 2 hands. It wasn't until I really understood that it needed to be a lifestyle change and not a 'diet' that I was successful. Also knowing how calories worked and that it was simple mathematics (burn more calories than you consume) really turned the light on. I wish they would have taught that in school and not just say, "eat more fruits and veggies" and really go into calories and how the body uses and stores energy. That would have been nice and maybe help prevent where I ended up.

You can do it.

As long as you are consistent with logging and exercise, the weight will come off. The weight will come off faster at the beginning and slow as you lose more. Make sure to recalculate your calories and adjust as needed throughout your journey as the less you weigh, the fewer calories your body needs to maintain it's current weight. Get a good amount of protein and fats, fill the rest of your calories with veggies and carbohydrates and enjoy an occasional treat as long as it fits in your calories for the day. And just to dispel a few myths really quick... Eating before bed is fine, skipping breakfast is OK, carbs don't make you fat.

Best of luck and feel free to add me.