Does grilling/boiling remove many calories?

Options
Hi I grilled an onion this morning,frequently grill garlic cloves,mushrooms,even potatoes,does grilling remove many calories?. I was surprised at the calories in onions.

By the way I'm Zowie,hoping to go from 195lb lb to 168 at least,I'm 5 11'. Always fit but bad eating.

Replies

• LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't remove calories.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Calories for meat & produce are usually counted raw, so the method of cooking wouldn't really alter their values.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    It doesn't remove calories - but a whole large onion is only 63 calories - that's not too bad.
  • SamAdams125
    SamAdams125 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It doesn't remove calories, but it doesn't add calories either. Some methods of cooking do add calories (like frying, for example).
  • tubaman58
    Options
    Doesn't remove any, popular with dieters because it doesn't add any calories.
    (Grilling meat does burn/melt off some of the fat from it)
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Kagami_Taiga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi I grilled an onion this morning,frequently grill garlic cloves,mushrooms,even potatoes,does grilling remove many calories?. I was surprised at the calories in onions.

By the way I'm Zowie,hoping to go from 195lb lb to 168 at least,I'm 5 11'. Always fit but bad eating.

When you're cooking "healthily", you're not trying to remove calories. It's more about not adding calories. Grilling is healthier because it doesn't need much oil, just a brushing will do.

For meat, cut off any visible fat. Make substitutes, such as edam instead of cheddar.
  • toddjg
    Options
    Just to make sure we don't confuse the OP. Cooking does, indeed, not remove any calories. It can, however, add them. So, steaming, boiling, grilling, baking, etc. are generally lower calorie. Sauteeing, pan frying or (heaven forbid) deep frying are generally higher calorie. Also, be aware of how you prepare the food for cooking - are you coating it, adding oil or butter, etc.

Let's go ahead and stick with this onion:

Large onion: 63 calories (as stated below)
    One complete "Bloomin Onion": 1,950 calories

Heh.