What counts in water allowance

Options
I don't drink water alone but I'm counting no added sugar fruit squashes, diet drinks and tea & coffee. Is this right?

Replies

• branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I count only plain water and water with crystal light added as water. I track everything else as diet soda has sodium in it and fruit juices have calories.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I don't drink water alone but I'm counting no added sugar fruit squashes, diet drinks and tea & coffee. Is this right?

Yes, you can even count juice and regular soda if you want to.

You will get a lot of varying opinions. However, the fluid that we need comes not only from water, but from everything we eat and drink. There is no need to require yourself to drink an extra 64 oz. of water on top of everything else you drank during the day.
  • thedandylion
    Options
    I personally count anything that is mainly water, like squash, tea etc.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Water. ONLY WATER! Those other things tend to only dehydrate you more.
  • beckajw
    Options
    Water. ONLY WATER! Those other things tend to only dehydrate you more.

No, they don't.
  • lkc2854
    lkc2854 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I count any drink that doesn't have caffeine as water intake -- crystal light, juices, caffeine-free diet soda, decaf tea, etc. Caffeine has a diuretic effect and can actually make you LOSE water.
  • beckajw
    Options
    Caffeine is only a diuretic in LARGE quantities. If you're having a cup of coffee each day, you can feel free to count it as part of your fluid intake.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You have to be careful what you are counting as water. For example, coffee is a diuretic and actually dehydrates you. The sugar replacements in diet sodas and drinks actually trigger the same responses in your body that make you hungry and can make it more difficult to lose weight. And not all of them are calorie-free. Try sparkling water instead; they have it in flavors (my favorite is orange) or you can even add fruit to it to flavor it yourself.
  • beckajw
    Options
    You have to be careful what you are counting as water. For example, coffee is a diuretic and actually dehydrates you. The sugar replacements in diet sodas and drinks actually trigger the same responses in your body that make you hungry and can make it more difficult to lose weight. And not all of them are calorie-free. Try sparkling water instead; they have it in flavors (my favorite is orange) or you can even add fruit to it to flavor it yourself.

^^ This is wrong.
  • berryjk
    berryjk Posts: 120
    Options
    i have wondered this myself, but I still only record plain water on my intake thingy.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options

Water is for um water lol drink more water bonk
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    You have to decide this for yourself. See how you feel and what results you get. I count water as water and eight or more 8 ounce glasses is my magic number. I drink other things but don't count them. If I don't drink all that water I find myself straying in other areas. Keeping track of just plain water keeps me on track and making progress. I don't know if it is psychological but it works for me.
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I just record water only, because that is how I want to do it. I drink coffee everyday, but it does not end up in my count. I'm not going to get involved in the continuing argument of Yes or No and whys. Each to their own.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I only count water. Everything else gets logged in the food diary as it usually contains at least a little bit of sodium or calories. Even plain black coffee.
  • Solar07
    Solar07 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    As a nurse, when we count fluid intake its anything liquid or can turn into a clear liquid - like jello. Its really how you want to do it. I personally can't drink plain water so I count everything.
  • jeleclekat
    jeleclekat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    according to WebMD:

What Counts as Water?

Fruits are an excellent source for water. Watermelon is 90% water, so it ranks highest on the list. Oranges, grapefruit, and melons like cantaloupe and honeydew are also strong contenders.

Vegetables, though not as full of water as fruit, can also provide a nutrient-rich water source. Stick with celery, cucumbers, tomatoes, green peppers, and Romaine lettuce.

There are plenty of hidden sources of water in your diet, says White. If you want to tap into these foods, reach for oatmeal, yogurt, soup, and smoothies.

Besides guzzling water, milk is a top choice to refuel. Sodas, even diet ones, get a bad rap for lacking nutritional value, but they can still be hydrating. Juices and sports drinks are also hydrating -- you can lower the sugar content by diluting them with water.

Coffee and tea also count in your tally. Many used to believe that they were dehydrating, but that myth has been debunked. The diuretic effect does not offset hydration.

Alcohol is a huge dehydrator, says White. You should try to limit your intake, but if you are going to raise a glass, aim for at least a one-to-one ratio with water.

If you don't like the taste of plain water, White suggests adding lemon to it. Or test out your own concoction, like sparkling water with raspberries with a sprig of mint.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options

Do you count it in your food diary, too? If you are counting these as water consumed, be sure to log them in your food diary as they all contain sodium and calories. It's pretty easy to drink up 100 calories worth of "diet" drinks in a day.

Edited to add: Crystal Light has 5-10 calories per 8 oz serving. Eight cups of Crystal Light could add an additional 80 calories to your day.
  • jjennasmithh
    Options
    I count only plain water and water with crystal light added as water. I track everything else as diet soda has sodium in it and fruit juices have calories.

Same
  • dannytrees1
    dannytrees1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My vote goes to anything that contains water.

If you have a cup of green tea for example theres more water in it than tea.:drinker:
  • wilsonm24
    Options
    Like many here I record only water as water and everything else I create an entry since there are other nutrients in them.

When I was stationed in the middle east we would have a lot of guys get dehydrated because they would constantly be drinking Gatorade or powerade and not drink water. These types of drinks contain a high amount of sodium. Considering the amount we were sweating in the heat with that amount of sodium it was impossible to stay fully hydrated. the advice that was given to us for every bottle of Gatorade drink two canteens of water.

Makes sense to me.

Since I am trying to track more than just my calories I make sure to record every thing I put in my body. I record pure water as a separate entity and make sure to get a minimum of 64oz a day. Of course the only liquids I drink anymore are my morning cup of coffee, a couple glasses of skim milk a day and a ton of water.