Made it to a 25 BMI with pics

Options
PDLUCKY
PDLUCKY Posts: 60 Member
Here is my story.

I started MFP about a year and a half ago while I was doing a liver cleanse with my girlfriend. (SW: 295) I figured I would see how it worked. During the cleanse I lost 20 pounds (275 lbs.) and knew that MFP was a powerful tool. I continued after the cleasne on MFP but back in January 2011 re-injured my left knee playing basketball with my son. I rehabed it at home and it got better to a point but I never made it back to 100% and was unable to play ball or really do many activities. Between Easter and September I lost another 10 lbs. (265 lbs) So at about that time I went to the Dr. and they sent me over for an MRI to see what was going on. The MRI showed I had some serious damage to the Medial Meniscus (weight bearing side of the knee) and that there was evidence of some arthritis in there. The Dr. referred me to a orthopedic surgeon. The surgeon looked at the MRI and said he needed to go in and hopefully he would be able to do a micro-fracture technique or he would take a piece of good cartilage so I could have some grown in a lab and then put back in. There was a lot of grey area as to what he was going to do depending on what he found when he got inside. I woke up after surgery to find out my knee has grade 4 osteoarthritis on both the femur and the tibia as well as grade 3 under the kneecap. The surgeon completely removed my meniscus and told me that I have no options but to have the knee replaced, and that I will have to live like this for another 20 years or so before I am old enough for the replacement. During this time I can not do any activities that have impact. No running no basketball no kicking the soccer ball. He said the knee will only last about 20 years and when they go back to try to fix one that is worn out then it is much harder. The surgeon said the only way for me to make the knee last until I am old enough is if I lose weight. I was at a 40 BMI and he said ideally he would want me at a 25 or less but seing how I am 37 he figured if I could lose 50 pounds I would be much better off. This was all in November of 2011. So after recovering from the surgery and feeling pretty down about the whole thing and having to live with the pain until I am in my late 50's and not being able to shoot hoops with my son or kick the soccer ball around with my daughter. So I started to put some weight back on and after New Years 2012 I was weighing 273 lbs. At that point I said to myself I was going to make a lifestyle change. I made a deal with myself that I would not eat sweets until I hit 190 lbs. I said that if I am hungary between meals I would have raw fruits or veggies. I would try to eat something every two hours and I would start swimming every morning before work. I just knew that I had to do this for myself and I would not be happy until I did. I quit drinking back in November so I had already cut out a ton of calories and with the healthy eating I was doing I started dropping weight fast. On Saturday September 1st I weighed in at 184 lbs. which just happens to be exactly a 25 BMI. Slacked off some last week and when I checked my weight this Saturday I was still at 184 lbs. Here are my pics.

Heavy Weight
HeavyWeight.jpg

Side by side Heavy weight and 200 lbs.
WhiteTside.jpg

First goal 190 lbs.
Small78PoundsDown.jpg

CW: 184 lbs.
CameraZOOM-20120907124721575.jpg

Face side by side 295 vs 184
9-7faceVsSouthCarolina.jpg

Feel free to add me if you would like I don't really fill out my food diary anymore because I have made this a lifestyle change and for me it is one I can manage on my own. Portion control eating healthy and staying active!

Replies

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!