fitbit help please?

Options
can anyone chime in on fitbit? for example...i have my daily goal set to 2000 calories per day....i am a teacher and apparently my fitbit is telling me (i am 6' 168 lbs btw) that by end of schol day I have burned already about 2200 calories. can this be possible simply being on feet and walkig around? seems like a lot to me! also, then when i sync fitbit to base and fitbit.com it updates my mfp daily caliories adjustment with a daily fitbit adjustment and often is like 1000-1400 calories for the day, allowing me to eat like 3400 calories technically. sound accurate? seems like a LOT to me and i am just wondering what you guys do and how accurate you have found it to be?

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    What is your bmr? Where are you wearing the fitbit and how long have you had it? Do your fitbit and MFP goals match pretty well (before exercise adjustment)?
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I don't have a Fitbit yet, but I used the "Search" portion under "Communities" and found a whole slew of posts. Here's the link, but you may need to copy and paste. Hopefully you'll find some answers there! Good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/443853-welcome-to-the-fitbit-users-group-and-how-to-get-started?hl=fitbit

Edited for typographical errors.
  • jessjpjb
    Options
    having the same issues, curious on what everyones thoughts are....i knocked my goal on here to 1800 calories a day, but i manually log my cardio in thru here, and then fitbit does its adjustments and litterally somedays my net calories is in the 100's...I have been physically eating around 1400-1600 but end up with a net of in the hundreds by end of day. my log is open
  • cginex
    cginex Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    well my bmr is....hmmmhow do i find that out?

wearing fitbit either on my belt or in my pocket of my pants (front pocket)
    had it for about two months
    what d you mean do my mfp and my fitbit goals match?
    thanks for the help!!
    What is your bmr? Where are you wearing the fitbit and how long have you had it? Do your fitbit and MFP goals match pretty well (before exercise adjustment)?
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    having the same issues, curious on what everyones thoughts are....i knocked my goal on here to 1800 calories a day, but i manually log my cardio in thru here, and then fitbit does its adjustments and litterally somedays my net calories is in the 100's...I have been physically eating around 1400-1600 but end up with a net of in the hundreds by end of day. my log is open

Don't manually log your cardio into mfp... Just sync your fitbit and let it adjust. If you're manually entering it also, it's counting double basically and that's why your net ends up so low
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound very unlikely that your burn by the end of the school day is 2200 cals.

On average men burn 2500 calories per day, doing nothing special. Assuming your school day ends at 4 pm, you're already at 2/3 of your day. So just from that you'd expect to have burned 2/3*2500 = 1650 calories. That means of your 2200, 1650 calories are for normal day life, leaving 550 calories burned extra. The 2500 average does include some movement, but nothing excessive. I'm not at all surprised if standing in front of the class room and walking around a big part of the time (even if they're only small steps) increases your burn during your work day by 550 calories.