I want some DAMN Sushi!

Options
I'm really having a craving for some Shrimp Tempura! I'm just not diggin the white rice! Do you think they have the option of serving it with brown rice? Or, should I just skip this idea? I keep dreaming about it lol.

Replies

• rlsluvr
    rlsluvr Posts: 130
    Options
    Call and ask if they can use Brown instead of white... be careful of the tempura though... it's fried!!! try something with just crab or cucumber inside, and be careful of the sauces too... they are pretty high in cals....
  • mattysmom
    mattysmom Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I get sushi with brown rice ALOT. you just have to ask. It depends, if you go to a restaurant for it call ahead and ask.
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Im not sure that shrimp tempura is considered sushi, lol, but I do know that it IS fried. If you have the calories for it...have it. There is no way to curb a craving like that with a substitute. Just don't go crazy and eat a bucket full.
  • JaneanAriel
    JaneanAriel Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'll call and ask, I know the Tempura is fried. I think the smart thing for me to do may be to skip it right now. *sigh*
  • apparatus195316
    apparatus195316 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Have you tried sashimi? It's primarily fish, sliced thin. My favorite is the salmon! Try it with low-sodium soy sauce.....mmmmmmm

*drool*
  • princesspurple
    Options
    I LOVE sushi! That is one way I will not deprive myself. I have had it w/ brown rice, but of course I prefer the white. Don't deprive yourself, just get one or 2 rolls and you will be fine. I make it myself at home, where I can watch the intake. If you get panko crumbs and cook the shrimp that way, it is much lower in calories than if using a tempura batter and just as yummy!
  • JWalker514
    Options
    Id stay away from the tempura, but I get sushi once a week, thats usually my healthy cheat! :o) I normally get the avocado, tuna or salmon. The entire meal is about 600 cals. not bad!
  • rlsluvr
    rlsluvr Posts: 130
    Options
    OR it's all about the PORTION!!! Have a roll, and only eat half, add veggies or Edamame or fruit... Don't deprive yourself, it just makes it harder... and if you feel deprived you're (ok I'm) more likely to binge later... Good Luck!!!
  • mandylwilson
    mandylwilson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sushi is my weakness. I can't get enough of the stuff. Although, I have managed to only indulge on special occasions. I love shrimp too, so I go for an Ebi (shrimp) and Avacado Roll . So yummy.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I agree. Sushi is my once a week HEALTHY treat. I like to get the Dragon roll it has small pieces of shrimp tempura in the roll and advacado and Eel on top. I get a cumcumer salad so that i dont have to get extra rolls. Tempura is very fattening so I'd stay away from that if you can.

Do you like other sushi? Like California or Spicy Tuna rolls? Its much healthier than Shrimp Tempura.

Lana

100892.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    Options
    dont know if you have a Publix in your area, but the one in my town has the BEST brown rice sushi!!! I usually get california roll (crab meat, avocado, cucumber), the whole roll which is 12 pieces is only 360 cals.
    Nutritional info already in MFP data base under Southern Tsunami brown rice california roll...
    Also have to watch the sodium content in sushi, it is insanely high!
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I thought sushi was good for you
  • princesspurple
    Options
    I thought sushi was good for you

It is very good for you, you are eating veggies, and fish! There is sugar in the preparation of the rice, and if you have something fried-it is higher in calories! But it is good for you-think about the people in Japan and the longevity of life for them!
    Everything is good in moderation.....:) DONT GIVE UP ON SUSHI:)
  • femalearcher
    Options
    Oh sushi!! How i love sushi!!
    I know its not a tempura roll, but i found a place here that makes a roll called a sexy roll, its rolled in cucumber and oh so yummy, I had no idea that they even used brown rice, thank you for sharing this info!!
  • JaneanAriel
    Options
    I'm checking the restaurant's online menu now. I like the California Rolls too, but I've just been craving Shrimp Tempura!
  • JaneanAriel
    Options
    I just called the restaurant and they do substitute brown rice for $1.00 more? Oh Yeah, I'm in, I'm in lol.