A loooong plateau?

Options
I have been gaining and losing the same 4 lbs for the past 2 months now. In that time, I switched my calories from 1200 total to 1750 net (my TDEE -20%), and I started a more vigorous exercise routine (just started TurboFire this month, I was doing Hip Hop Abs before that).

I didn't do enough research when I first began my weight loss journey, so I ate a flat 1200 calories per day for close to 4 months. That would mean that on some days I would only net about 800. Yes, I know now that this is very bad... I just wish I knew then >.> It seemed to work great for the first 25 lbs, but then I hit this plateau, and I've been here for 2 months! I'm wondering if eating a flat 1200 calories for so long has messed up my metabolism, and I just need to wait for it to readjust, or if I am still doing something incorrectly.

Has anyone else hit a really long, frustrating plateau in their journey?

Replies

• ephemerata
    ephemerata Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    yeah, i'm right there with you. actually, i found your post by searching for "plateau," and i was shocked to see that you just posted it.

i'm beginning to think i need to eat more calories. i net anywhere from 600-1200. i struggle with compensatory under-eating due to a past history with bulimia, and i suppose i'm still prone to those behaviors. the thought of eating more terrifies me and seems so counterintuitive.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    i'm beginning to think i need to eat more calories. i net anywhere from 600-1200. i struggle with compensatory under-eating due to a past history with bulimia, and i suppose i'm still prone to those behaviors. the thought of eating more terrifies me and seems so counterintuitive.

First, congratulations on overcoming an eating disorder. That's a monumental accomplishment and good for you!

Second, though you are obviously doing a lot better, that's a slightly discomforting statement to make. You might want to consider some follow-up therapy if the thought of eating healthy amounts of food terrifies you. Netting an average of 900 calories is not ideal.

To OP: When I tried the "exercise lots and eat only leaves" diets and netted very low for long periods, my plateaus could easily last months. Make sure your proteins, fat, and carbs are in reasonable balance and stick with it for a while longer.

I'm about 5 pounds from a "normal" BMI and have been stuck there for a while, and I've been (I thought) doing everything right. Reducing my calories means I can't support the bike ride to work, which is my primary exercise, so I just keep on keepin' on and I consider this period practice for maintenance. As long as I'm not gaining weight, I'm relatively happy for now.
  • kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've been plateaued for months now. I think I was lifting more, building muscle, but wasn't eating to compensate for the faster metabolism from gaining weight.

I'm starting Turbo fire too next week. I plan to eat around 1600-1700 calories a day since I'd like to lose 10 more lbs. If it doesn't happen, I'm going to just be content with what I've lost so far.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You very well could have done some damage to your metabolism... This happened to me. I ate a flat 1200 for probably 7 months (didn't know better either), stopped loosing in February 2012, started training for a triathlon, started increasing cals slowly... but still didn't lose. I was plateaued from February to July gaining/loosing the same 5 pounds, but through it trending down ever so slightly.

I read a book by Leigh Peele called "The Metabolic Repair Manual" and did a TON of online research about the metabolism. Joined the eat more 2 weigh less group on here and started to REALLY eat around June. Since June, I have gone from 2000 flat per day to 1900-2800 depending on my daily burn.

I have lost about 4 pounds since July. :drinker:
  • roxerella
    roxerella Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Yep, 8 month plateau for me! I ate under 1000 calories for 6 months and was working out at least an hour a day in the gym and not eating back any exercise calories. I had no idea this was a destructive thing to do. My doctor actually said if I was serious about weight loss I'd eat 1000 or less, so I did!

I lost 47 lbs in the first six months then the weight loss stopped. I've tried calorie cycling (zig zagging) but it diddn't work so then I tried to slowly up my cals, going up to 1250 was ok, no gain, but when I went up to 1500 I steadily gained for 4 weeks. Total gain of 11lbs!

I feel completely lost and confused. I know I've created this problem by eating to little for too long but don't know how to sort it out. I've recently started Eat to Live, which is a plant based diet. Totally different to anything I've tried before as I usually do low carb, high protein. I'm only 6 days in so don't know if eating nothing but fruit, veg and pulses is doing any good for the weight loss or not.

Sorry I'm no help, but I hope you find your answer and the scales start moving in the right direction soon!
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I started the same way you did.

But, hang in there. The day will come where you will hit the next slide in weight.

I stuck from April until July, because I didn't quite understand the science behind weight loss. (And finding this link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12)

Now, I have been seeing a pound loss each week, while eating more than 1800 calories a day.

Also, don't rely on the scale for your only motivation. I like to take measurements, watch for endurance improvements, etc. At the end of the day, I don't care what the scale says if I see changes elsewhere.

ps. Also - weight loss is NOT linear. Sometimes you lose a pound a week, other times, you will stay steady for several weeks, then it will seem 2-4 pounds drop overnight. If you find yourself getting stuck on the scale - try weighing yourself every month instead.
  • ephemerata
    ephemerata Posts: 82 Member
    Options

First, congratulations on overcoming an eating disorder. That's a monumental accomplishment and good for you!

Second, though you are obviously doing a lot better, that's a slightly discomforting statement to make. You might want to consider some follow-up therapy if the thought of eating healthy amounts of food terrifies you. Netting an average of 900 calories is not ideal.

thank you! :)

i'm finally back on health insurance, and i'll be pursuing therapy soon -- although not exclusively for the residual bulimic tendencies.