Atkins for me

Options
Hi I have just started the Atkins and know this is going to work, I have brought the book and also thoroughly investigated this revised NEW ATKINS before I started(due to its previous bad press) Anyone want to join me??

Replies

• Naples6020
    Options
    I did Atkins before and lost 40lbs. It was a good way to lose weight fast but, it is not a way of life forever. I try to do lower carb foods but I don't cut them out all together. I really don't eat pasta, bread or white potatoes. I did notice that after I went back to normal eating the weight came back. I wish you the best of luck in your journey. However, for me the best way is to make better choices and try to stay away from processed foods. My MFP has been good for me, and I love to track my food. When you do Atkins track your food on this site. I dont tell anyone what kind of diet they should try. I say what ever works for you.Good Luck
  • JLand918
    Options
    Atkins is bad in my opinion , I had a teacher do it once he lost amazing weight but the moment he stopped every single pound lost was gained right back and fast, if you want a better longer lasting safer version of low, no carbs check out the Primal Blueprint its more a lifestyle change not a diet persay.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Atkins is not about NO carb its about re-introducing carbs. from my expierience, You go NO carb for 2 weeks and ONLY 2 weeks. THEN you bring carbs back in little by little. The problem is that most people see how much they lose in those 2 weeks and try to stay carb free for life, and its just not possible.
  • tfunkwurzer
    tfunkwurzer Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Everyone that I know that had successful weight loss on it gained it back when they stopped eating no carb. Even those who then went to staying within their reasonable caloric goal. It was like their body no longer knew how to process carbs.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have done Atkins twice. The first time I lost ~65 lbs in 18 months but gained it all back and then some. 2nd time I lost ~55 lbs in a year and again gained it all back and then some. My take on it? It's a great way to lose a lot of weight fast but it's not a great way to maintain a healthy weight and it's extremely difficult to transition off of it without gaining back some weight back. My honest opinion is that Atkins does not provide a good foundation for long term success but maybe I was just too impatient about working carbs back into my diet (I found that I couldn't eat more than 25g net carbs/day without GAINING).
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Im living a low carb lifestyle (modified Atkins) now and still in the losing phase, I will do a modified Mediterranean diet once I am at goal, which is fairly low carb. I feel better than ever.. Do what works for you. My diet and exercise program was designed for me by me physician and a nutritionist..
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended a kind of Atkins. I stay under 30 grams of carbs daily and NEVER eat bread, potatoes, etc. Your body does not need starch. You can get nutrients other ways. Good luck. I lost a bunch of weight but gained some back, not because I started eating normally, but because I ate what I wanted and my holiday eating extended for 6 months. My lack of self control, not the fault of a low/no carb diet. Good luck to you.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Atkins is not about NO carb its about re-introducing carbs. from my expierience, You go NO carb for 2 weeks and ONLY 2 weeks. THEN you bring carbs back in little by little. The problem is that most people see how much they lose in those 2 weeks and try to stay carb free for life, and its just not possible.

This is accurate (working carbs back in little by little) but some people have a very low tolerance like I did - I had to stop at 25g net carbs/day or I would gain back weight.
  • happythermia
    Options
    More power to ya! :D

I've done it and was successful, but always ended up gaining back plus some. Restrictive diets just aren't for me!

But if you can stick with it, it will definitely work :-)
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Everyone that I know that had successful weight loss on it gained it back when they stopped eating no carb. Even those who then went to staying within their reasonable caloric goal. It was like their body no longer knew how to process carbs.

Or their body didn't know how to process carbs in the first place which is why they had weight to lose in the first place.

Atkins is not a way to lose weight quickly so you can get back to eating sugar. It's a way of eating that you follow for the rest of your life. I don't understand why people are shocked that limiting carbs causes weight loss and adding carbs causes weight gain.
  • Bailey543
    Options
    Who said it's not possible? I know many people who have done it for years on end and who will live that lifestyle forever. It IS possible.
  • Reese61477
    Reese61477 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I lost about 75 lbs on it a few years back, then I got pregnant..lol.

Good luck to you! It is not a no carb diet. You just slowly introduce them back into your diet and see what your body responds best to as far as carb level goes. I did great with lots of protein, veggies, some fruits, and nuts, but your milage may vary. :)
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    yOU SHOULD BUY THE PRIMAL BLUEPRINT. Much more realistic and doable than atkins.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options

Ok, time to clear up stuff :)

The Induction period places your body in a state of ketosis (not to be confused with ketoacidosis, which is life threatening) where your body burns fat instead of glycogen (since you're not having any glycogen stores due to a low carb intake). It's not NO carb, it's more very low carb (under 20g a day). It's NOT a miracle diet in the sense that you can eat whatever you want (bacon all day omg!) and lose weight. At the end of the day, you still have to follow the calories in vs. calories out rule. Eating 10,000 calories of cheese and bacon in one day because they don't have carbs will not help you lose weight.

I've been in ketosis (basically, Induction) since May 29, and while I have lost almost 40 pounds since then, I've done it by watching my intake and moving more while staying UNDER mfp's calorie guideline. I haven't died, I haven't had a heart attack, and I haven't developed any cholesterol problems. I have been following a 65/30/5 (fat/protein/carb) macro setup, and have consumed most of my carbohydrates from yummy, healthy veggies. Once again, the weight loss is from a calorie deficit, but since I'm eating healthy fats and protein rich foods, I don't feel hungry as often, so it's the easiest way for me to stick to a caloric target.

And about gaining weight back when you stop? OF COURSE YOU WILL! If you stop counting calories, the same will happen! I went into this diet not to just lose weight, but to end my addiction of sugar, pasta, and breads. After the first two weeks, which were riddled with cravings, I realized I didn't need that stuff anymore. Will I give it up forever? Most likely. I've taken bites of cake, nibbles of pasta, and it just doesn't seem appetizing to me anymore.

What happens when I reach my goal weight? I will SLOOOOWLY raise my carb allowance to fit more fruits, some starchy veggies (like sweet potatoes), and maybe whole grains. Evenings of Olive Garden or Pizza Hut are gone to me, and to be honest, I won't miss them.

DO NOT go into this diet just to lose the weight. Please PLEASE make sure you're going to sustain these changes for the rest of your life. If diabetes runs in your family, or if one bite of refined carbs will send you on a binge, maybe this lifestyle change is for you. These are my reasons for this change, so it might not be for everyone. It may seem like a quick fix, but once you revert to your old habits, you will put on the pounds.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, use it.
  • Mctree20
    Options
    I did Atkins. Works very well, you tend to gain the "water" weight back when you start to up your carbs after induction.

Also, it's difficult to exercise on it. But yeah, you will only gain the weight back if you go back to the way of eating that made you gain weight in the first place.

if you follow the phases it works very well.
  • mummymorgon
    Options
    Hey Ive just finished my 14th day of Atkins, and I have to admit for me it's a lifestyle. I want to be healthier and cut out all the fast food and easy convenience food. Same with any diet, you have to look at what made you overweight in the first place, and deal with those issues first. Atkins has a really bad stigma attached to it, and you can't expect miracales. Its hard work and deidcation that gets you to your goal...as per any weight loss plan.
  • Deb2chef
    Deb2chef Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi Thanks for the message, The Atkins diet has changed and it is now for me going to be a way of life rather than a diet, I dont like pasta, bread, and wont miss potatoes really. I am more interested in eating Non processed foods and going back to the Cave man eating if you like- meat, veg and dairy when possible. Real foods are my goal. :smile:
  • Deb2chef
    Deb2chef Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Note to vytamind,

Thank god. Someone who knows the facts, most people are so uninformed about atkins its unreal yet they still comment on it or do it wrong.
    If people are regaining weight after stopping the Atkins then that's the problem, They should realise if they did it right that you need to find you own carb tolerance level in order to maintain your goal weig:flowerforyou: ht.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    It's gotten a lot of flack from lots of dieters as being unhealthy, but I've never eaten more whole foods in my life! Could I have done that on just plain calorie restriction? Maybe, but for now it's easier for me to keep my good habits with low carb.

There's TONS of science behind it, and I enjoy learning how my body works when fueled with different things. I feel like a walking experiment!