Valuable lesson learned last week

Options
For the past 2 1/2 months that I have been diligently logging, eating healthy and exercising, I haven't had any days where I allowed myself anything special. No splurges. I was worried that if I did, I would dive right back into an unhealthy life style and ruin all that I had worked toward. However, last Monday, I had friends over for dinner, and I made burritos. Burritos with full-fat cheese, beans, ground turkey, salsa, avocado, the works. Then on Friday, I went to a friends birthday party where I had a couple slices of pepperoni pizza. I didn't gain an ounce from my indulgences. One meal on occasion of eating bad won't wreck anything. I know now that I don't have to beat myself up for doing it, just make sure it's only on occasion and not daily.

Replies

• LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    And you are correct. Splurging is good everyonce in a while!

I however, can't. I seem to blow up after!
    Congrats on your discovery :happy:
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Not only does the rare splurge not hurt, it can help bust you out of a plateau! But rare is the key here, for sure. Preceded by lots of strong effort :)
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Yup no sense being miserable. Gotta live life. It takes 3500 calories to make a pound so yeah you'd really have to overdo it to completely throw all your hard work away.
  • HeartlessHarlot
    HeartlessHarlot Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    So long as it's once in a while, not a slip back into old eating habits, splurging is fine.

Everything in moderation.
  • heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Good that you found out :D It's horrible having to think "never again in my life", not motivational at all!
    I have snack days every saturdays, and are often offered a piece of cake or similar on sundays which I accept, and I still lose weight steadily and I feel great! It's also a good feeling looking forward to the weekend, knowing I can afford to indulge a bit (everything in moderation), and I appreciate it a lot more now, knowing it's only for the weekends, and not 3-4 days a week, like it used to be.
  • tommytorquestick
    Options
    I've found that it's healthier to splurge every now and then. Otherwise you'll go crazy and want to quit. Or eventually your splurge may be an entire cake, or a really huge amount of bad food.
  • shellihooten
    Options
    I find it absolutely true! When I had my 'Aha Moment' and decided, that was my day to start on the path to get fit & lose weight. I also decided that this IS a lifestyle change, and life is just that, living...my choices are to put good stuff in and when I want that 'little' indulgence then I DO, moderately & without guilt!. Knowing full well, I willingly & gladly quite eating crap every day, all day.

So, I applaud your commitment! ....a little splurge every now & then won't destroy all the work you have put into you!

I love this site & the lovely people who have much to share & offer~
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Yes, you don't want to be a food zombie.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    I'm glad you discovered it for yourself! sometimes people don't believe they can live and eat healthy at the same time!!! that's awesome for you!!!!
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I agree, a splurge every now and then will not hurt. If you don't splurge every once in a while you might end up binging. We all know what that will lead to.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I am looking forward to my splurge this weekend and I plan to do it once a month. So you enjoy your food and remember that it is alright in moderation.
  • tommytorquestick
    Options
    I agree, a splurge every now and then will not hurt. If you don't splurge every once in a while you might end up binging. We all know what that will lead to.

That is the exact point I was trying to make! I agree 100%.