Increasing Caloric Intake

Options
Hello,

My husband was diagnosed with hypertension last week. Since then we have eliminated all excess sodium from our diet. Unfortunately, I've realized we're only taking in about 900-1000 calories per day as a result. Do you have any recommendations for increasing caloric intake while staying mindful of sodium? My husband is trying to keep his sodium around 1500mg.

I was thinking avocados (but I love them with salt, guess I'll have to give that up!), peanut butter, maybe a protein shake here and there? Our proteins consist of grilled chicken and fish primarily. Maybe add some beans to our salads? Unsalted nuts? Any other recommendations??

Thank you!

Replies

• lriley52
    Options
    Add baked yams, fresh or frozen veggies, and fruit. NO sodium there and you need the fiber and calories. Plain yogurt with fruit and protein powder will add doog protein and calories.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    OooOO.. I forgot about adding protein powder in the yogurt! Great idea! Thank you!!
  • erinmick2
    erinmick2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yay protein powder! I add it to everything.. cereal, pudding, cottage cheese, mashed bananas, oatmeal, etc.. yummy! Also, beans and lentils added to soups and salads will definitely give you some extra calories.. and lots of other good stuff :)