Net Calories vs. Food Calories PLZ help

Options
HEY,
I was wondering if you could help me out :) I'm really confused about this and I need some advice without spending $$$ on seeing a nutritionist. SO...to get things started... I use Myfitness pal and a body bugg to track calories and my calories burnt..

I'm training for a full marathon in January. I have a running schedule from Hal Higdon's marathon book...On days I'm not running I do Chalean xtreme's turbo fire and go to a RIPPED strength training class twice a week.

I track all my food pretty well as well as my exercise. I'm not looking to "lose" weight more so tone up..get the ultimate runner's body...not bulk but have muscle definition.

I'm really confused tho. Every where I look it says otherwise.. I'm curious to how many calories I should be eating, a day total. Livestrong.com says an active female in my age category should shoot for 2,200-2400 a day... seems like quite a lot. I'm not sure if it is referencing to my NET WEIGHT (calorie intake including the amount i deduct for workout) OR if it's my overall total is supposed to be 2,400 for the day just counting food.. no workout at all. I average about 1,700 a day.. JUST in food. Netting around 1021 a day (that includes the food minus the calories burnt with working out)...I'm constantly hungry. My diet includes very healthy food... protein shakes as well as veggies and fruits.. Ive noticed if I don't workout in a day or 2 (either because of soreness or recent sickness) I start losing muscle in my arm quickly... I don't know if it's because im not consuming ENOUGH calories to lose? or..what...just thought another fitness guru's perspective would be nice.. THANKS!

Replies

• lkc2854
    lkc2854 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the 2200 - 2400 from Livestrong includes your food calories AND your workout calories to maintain your weight.

Similarly, I also work out for an hour 5 days a week and have found it takes 2400 - 2500 calories a day to maintain my goal weight of 138 -- even on the days that I don't do a structured workout. It sounds like a lot, but muscle mass burns calories more efficiently than fat., which accounts for the higher caloric intake. I've found that if I eat less than 2400 calories a day, I start losing again.
  • musicforever04
    musicforever04 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Alrighty...will try starting today to make my net 2,250. See how I feel, if I feel fuller ..more energetic. Thank you!
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You're going to increase from netting 1000 a day to netting more than twice that? I wouldn't do that in one day. You'll feel better if you take it gradually.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You're going to increase from netting 1000 a day to netting more than twice that? I wouldn't do that in one day. You'll feel better if you take it gradually.

This^
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    You do definitely want to hit the net calorie target - especially with marathon training. I took a quick peek at you diary and would also recommend that you increase your protein intake - Try setting you macros for at least 40% protein. You will find that you feel fuller longer and have better energy levels as well as better muscle recovery.
  • musicforever04
    Options
    thanks
  • musicforever04
    Options

Yeah... I realized once you posted that i may need to take it gradually. These past 2-3 days I took it back to "maintain weight" on my goal instead of losing .5 a week. My goal is 1,940 according to MFP and then on a normal day I burn 200-300 calories. I just didn't know if i needed to eat ALL Those calories.. it just seemed like a lot, I think i was averaging somewhere around netting 1,200 ish because I heard that's the recommended amount for a normal person..but I haven't been able to find normal for an "athlete" ...SO..just going to go with what MFP says, do what I have been doing, track my calories/fitness and allow myself to relax a little on the "keeping it to 1,200."

thanks for the input
  • musicforever04
    Options
    You do definitely want to hit the net calorie target - especially with marathon training. I took a quick peek at you diary and would also recommend that you increase your protein intake - Try setting you macros for at least 40% protein. You will find that you feel fuller longer and have better energy levels as well as better muscle recovery.

thanks, do you know how I go about setting that?
  • musicforever04
    Options

thanks, do you know how I go about setting that?

Found it :)