Hey Runners! This newbie needs advice

Options
I started running 2 weeks ago and I love it, but I have been dealing with shin splints :sad: I bought better running shoes and compression socks, but I am still struggling. It annoys me because I feel like I could run faster if not for the pain in my shins. Also, and I don't know if this makes a difference, but my shins hurt on the medial side of my tibia, not in the front. Any advice on what I may be doing wrong or what I can to help them would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Were you fitted for these shoes at a specialty running store, or did you just pick a "good" pair off the wall?

The right shoes makes a big difference. Also, don't worry about going faster right now. Just worry about going.

Count your steps per minute and see what you come up with. If it's less than 160, you may be over striding and landing on your heel, which is a common cause of shin splints. Try to take more steps per minute. Shoot for about 170 to 180.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I started running 2 weeks ago and I love it, but I have been dealing with shin splints :sad: I bought better running shoes and compression socks, but I am still struggling. It annoys me because I feel like I could run faster if not for the pain in my shins. Also, and I don't know if this makes a difference, but my shins hurt on the medial side of my tibia, not in the front. Any advice on what I may be doing wrong or what I can to help them would be greatly appreciated.

Spread a towel out on the floor. Use your toes to scrunch it up towards you. Kind of like you're grabbing something with your toes. That will help strengthen the muscles that cause shin splints.

BTW, the way to prevent them is to never run your second week after starting.
  • durhamity
    durhamity Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Were you fitted for these shoes at a specialty running store, or did you just pick a "good" pair off the wall?

The right shoes makes a big difference. Also, don't worry about going faster right now. Just worry about going.

Count your steps per minute and see what you come up with. If it's less than 160, you may be over striding and landing on your heel, which is a common cause of shin splints. Try to take more steps per minute. Shoot for about 170 to 180.

No, I was not fitted for my new shoes. I picked a pair that had been recomended to me by someone who runs a lot. Also, should I not be landing on my heel (sorry if that's a dumb question, but I thought I was suppose to do that)
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Definitely get fitted! The shoe that my husband uses would never work for me because our strides are completely different. And as far as heel striking goes--it's difficult to change your stride, but you should try to land on your mid foot. I was a forefoot striker and I had to change my stride to a mid foot strike to save my knees. My husband and daughter are both heel strikers, and they cannot change their stride. Well, they probably could, but they choose not to. :-p
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I also want to add that over 40% of runners get shin splints at some point. You might not be doing anything wrong. Just work on strengthening those shin muscles.
  • durhamity
    durhamity Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. I was able to return my other shoes and I will get fitted some time this week. Maybe after my shins ease up a bit! I knew I should have gone to the running store, but I feel a little intimidated since I don't consider myself a real "runner"... YET! :tongue:
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    No, I was not fitted for my new shoes. I picked a pair that had been recomended to me by someone who runs a lot. Also, should I not be landing on my heel (sorry if that's a dumb question, but I thought I was suppose to do that)

If you keep your feet underneath you (vs. out in front i.e. overstriding) you may or may not still land on your heel, 80% of runners do, but it will be much less stressful on your shins and other injury prone areas. It is also likely that by insuring your feet are landing under you, you will not heel strike as hard or at all, just naturally. Take Carson's advice and count strides, to get your turnover rate up you will generally shorten your stride which will help keep you from overstriding and save all kinds of pain.
  • shreddergurl
    shreddergurl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Your calf muscle gets in shape faster than the muscle that goes across your shin...and literally flaps on your shin bone causing inflammation. Definitely get good shoes at a running store where they can look at your stride and fit you...there are exercises you can do to help...ie:sit down with your legs together out in front of you...and have someone push down on your toes while you flex your toes upward...you can ice them too...and even tape them:) Hope this helps...try running on soft surfaces until they toughen up:)
  • shreddergurl
    shreddergurl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    try Brooks! They rawk!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    try Brooks! They rawk!

Brooks are a good brand, but there are many other good running shoe brands too. Don't be swayed by name and pretty colors. If a running store carries it, it's a good shoe. After they give you choices of the type of shoe that you need, choose the one that feels the best. You might end up in a brand you never considered. I ended up in Mizuno years ago and fell in love with them. I had never, ever, even considered buying a Mizuno shoe. I thought they made baseball gloves. Who knew!?