Lentil Soup with Spinach and potato recipe!

Options
feefie04
feefie04 Posts: 67 Member
So I wanted to share my weekend experiment with you all! I loved campbells lentil soup when I was younger, and felt like I needed to make some of my own, since it is very filling and overall delicious.

Here is my version of the recipe (I don't like so many spices, so it was heavily modified from http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/green_lentil_soup.html)

My version makes about 13 servings, with 1 cup for a serving and 112 calories per cup! I froze about 6 cups for later.

3 cups lentils ( I like thick lentil soup)
8 cups water
5 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon of ground sea salt (I misread mine and put 1 tbsp on accident!)
3 medium red potatoes, skin on
1/2 cup chopped green onion tops (double if you like onions, I couldn't taste them a lot)
12 cups (~10 oz) gently packed fresh spinach, hard stems removed (you could add even more if you want, this seemed like a good amount for the volume of soup)
Ground pepper (to taste)

In a large soup pot, add 8 cups water and 3 cups lentils. Bring to boil, cover with lid, simmer (mildly boiling) for 20 mins.

While lentils are boiling-
Finely chop green tops of onions.
Chop potatoes into 1 inch cubes.
Spinach is best if left leafy (~1/2 size of your palm) , but try to remove large stems.

After the 20 mins of boiling lentils, stir in potato, onions, 5 cups vegetable broth, and 1 tsp salt. After it begins boiling again, time it for 20 mins.

Stir in the 12 cups spinach. It should wilt quickly. Add ground pepper to taste. Simmer for about 5 mins, stirring so spinach cooks evenly, but stays bright green. Take it off the heat and enjoy! It is even better after sitting overnight in the fridge, as many soups are :)

Replies

• houseofcarpenter
    houseofcarpenter Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i just bought lentils this weekend and was wandering what to do with them and now i know!!! thanks
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy BUMP to use later
  • this sounds so good! i definitely will be trying it soon.
  • basketsnorth
    Options
    bump
  • mgoetsch1982
    mgoetsch1982 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kddruckenmiller
    kddruckenmiller Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    This sounds delicious, thank you!
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I was about to saute a bunch of baby spinach that I didn't use quickly enough but this sounds like a better idea :)
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    BUMP for sure... this looks AWESOME. I bet it would be good with kale instead of spinach too... not that I have anything against spinach, just have kale in the fridge. Definitely will be trying this one soon!
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    this sounds like a great fall soup, thanks!

I didn't realize there were so many colors, does the color of the lentils matter?
  • Brandie1029
    Brandie1029 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I think I know what i'm going to be making this weekend! Yummo!
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Sounds good... but was surprised you didn't say to soak the lentils overnight or for a few hours first. Folks who have not fixed them may not know they should do this... depending on the type of lentil used.
  • feefie04
    feefie04 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!

The recipe I referenced calls for lots of veggies, I'm sure kale would be great!

I think the only way the color of lentils would matter is based on your taste or if they required a different type of prep (like soaking, apparently)

I did not soak my lentils, I used a pre-soaked brand I think.... mine turned out with a wonderful texture (whole but soft) with no soaking! Thank goodness because I had no idea I needed to soak them :)

Edit: I think brown lentils do not need to be soaked? The original recipe called for those and they only called for a pre-rinse, no soaking. And my lentils were not split (flat on one side), they were whole (rounded on both sides) and had the germ floating in the pot afterwards (looks like small curved white things, it is the sprout, NOT bugs!)
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Sounds good!
  • amadacorazon
    amadacorazon Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing!:happy:
  • Doberdawn
    Options
    I think the only way the color of lentils would matter is based on your taste or if they required a different type of prep (like soaking, apparently)

LOL... yep, many don't, but some do... Here's a short list I have because I love lentils... all kinds.... forgive all the Indian names, but I'm learning different lentil dishes from a friend who is from Nepal... so my list comes from the way she lists them. <g>

Lentil type/color Soaking time 1 cup dried Lentil to water ratio Cooking time after the water comes to a boil
    Toordal [Yellow Split Pea] does not need soaking 4 cups water 25 minutes
    Moongdal (Whole) [Mung Bean] 25-40 minutes. 5 cups water 20 minutes.
    Moongdal (Split) [Split Husked Mung Bean] does not need soaking 4 cups water 20-30 minutes.
    Uraddal [Split Urd] does not need soaking 3.5 cups water 20 minutes.
    Chanadal [BengalGram/Split] does not need soaking 3.5 cup water 30 minutes.
    Masoordal [Orange/Split Red Lentil] does not need soaking 3.5 cups water 20 minutes.
    Kaala Chana [Black Chick Pea aka Black lentils ] 4-6 hours 4 cups water 30-40 minutes.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting. I will need to make this next weekend.!
  • Doberdawn
    Options
    Of course... a site online that talks about cooking lentils... it just says "If cooking whole dals, soak in water for a couple of hours or overnight."
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have been wanting to try a lentil soup!
  • ZombieMercy
    ZombieMercy Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    yum...bump!
  • icandoit203
    icandoit203 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    bump