Low carb vs gluten/wheat free 'diet'?

Options
I stated my journey on January 26th. I am currently down 43 pounds. Like everyone else, I have been trying to figure out a 'diet' that fits me best. Right now, I am eating gluten and wheat free things only because I don't like the taste of things with them in it, but they seem to have a lot of carbs in it. I keep getting told to lose fat I need to eat low carb, but in the long run I don't see this working out. I am trying to get many opinions as I can on what you guys are doing to lose weight. I, personally, don't believe in low carb diets, mainly because I don't find it to be realistic. I don't eat bread, rice etc as it is, but I am a lover of fruit, and my friends I know personally are trying to get me to stop eating fruit. I am at the point in my lifestyle change where I wonder if what I'm doing is okay. Please help?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You lost 43lbs. I'd not worry too much about fruit, or what your friends think about fruit, or carbs for that matter.

Also: Carbs do not make you fat. Excess calories make you fat.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    You lost 43lbs. I'd not worry to much about fruit, or what your friends think about fruit, or carbs for that matter.

this
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on a low carb diet because other 'diets' dont work, only because it IS working for me. Everyone is different, and you're lucky. You found something that works, just stay with it. If you hit a plateau, try switching things up a little bit at a time.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    sorry..I don't by the "I don't like the taste of things with them in it" thing. Sounds like a nice way to be overly restrictive. I'm pretty sure you could not TASTE that their is gluten in various condiments, also the gluten/wheat used in baked goods and the like. Just own it--you want to restrict those things.
  • I'm currently on a low carb diet because other 'diets' dont work, only because it IS working for me. Everyone is different, and you're lucky. You found something that works, just stay with it. If you hit a plateau, try switching things up a little bit at a time.

That's what I'm actually trying to do. I'm trying to change things up a bit.
  • tearsinger
    tearsinger Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Many gluten free things are higher in carbs and fat than their typical counterparts. Whole grain gluten free is less common and therefore a lot of it is rice flour and potato starch.

Foods that are naturally gluten free tend to be a healthier than substitution foods.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options

Did you say this out loud before you typed it?
  • sorry..I don't by the "I don't like the taste of things with them in it" thing. Sounds like a nice way to be overly restrictive. I'm pretty sure you could not TASTE that their is gluten in various condiments, also the gluten/wheat used in baked goods and the like. Just own it--you want to restrict those things.

No, I actually just don't like to flavor/taste. For example. I love making wraps and such. The wraps are always so soft, and i feel like I'm eating flour right out of the bag. I think it's a mixture of taste and texture I don't like. Same thing goes for other things made with it.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Did you say this out loud before you typed it?

No, why?
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Low carb doesn't mean you can't have ANY fruit. get informed and stop listening to your friends, they obviously have no idea what they are talking about. And last time I checked gluten didn't have a flavor lol....