need help from the "health nuts"

Options
Ok, i really want to eat healthy and eat the right kind of foods and be educated on whats good for you and whats not and the whole aspect of it all like the whole 20% 30% whatever ratios of diets..everything can be so confusing and so much info...please help!!! and what is a typical day for you like what do you eat..its so hard to think of dinners that are only of healthy stuff i feel like somehow i always mess it up becuase what seems to be healthy isnt always healthy...

Replies

• mrsdutra07
    Options
    Pick up a Cooking Light magazine next time you're at the store. That's where I get loads of dinner ideas that are both healthy and super tasty!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    My diary is open if you want to take a look. It took me a long time to reach this place where I eat very healthy, but I'm here now. The best thing you can do is to make small steps.

1. Log everything every day. This is very important because you can plan out where you want to go, if you don't know where you are starting.

2. Try changing one small thing every week. For instance, if you just love your lattes (or whatever high calorie treat) try to get a lower calorie version worked in, instead. Just focus on that one thing for that week, and keep logging.

Before long, you'll be the health nut helping other make better choices, too. :drinker:
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I usually try to keep around a 40/30/30 ratio when I'm not training for a race. That's Carbs/Protein/Fat.

A typical day for me looks like this:

Breakfast:
    120 g egg whites from a carton (it's just easier for me since I nuke 'em at work and whole eggs don't nuke quite as well)
    28 g Diced avocado - added to egg (about 1/4th of a medium sized one)
    2 slices of cooked Oscar Mayer Center Cut Bacon - chopped and added to egg
    2 Slices of toast (either Alvardo St Bakery Flax Essentials or Chompie's Carbs Not, depending on my mood/what I bought)
    1 serving each (2 x 12 g) PB2 regular and PB2 Chocolate

Lunch:
    4-6 oz of lean protein (chicken, ground turkey breast, extra lean ground beef) (amt depends on workout/calorie allotment)
    Assorted veggies, whatever I have on hand - bell peppers, onion, edamame, snow peas, carrots, eggplant, etc
    Cook all the above and serve with either Brown rice, Shirataki noodles, crumbled tofu, or over 85 g of Spinach (again, depends on workout/calorie allotment)

Snack eaten throughout the day - 6 snacks each day (sometimes varies, but is most often the below):
    2 baggies of veggies - e.g. 85 g of carrots, 100 g of jicama, 60 g of snow peas, 100 g cucumber, etc.
    1 90-100 g serving of fruit
    2% String Cheese
    20 g almonds
    Non-fat plain Greek Yogurt - 6oz cup

Dinner:
    Similar ingredients to lunch, just put together in different ways. Also add in potatoes or polenta for accompanying starches and artichokes and brussels sprouts as dinner veggie sides.

Dessert:
    Processed and pre-packaged yumminess usually. Like a Fudgesicle, a Soy Cutie ice cream sandwich from Trader Joe's or a Yasso Greek Frozen Yogurt bar

Then I just increase or decrease overall amounts each day based on what my calorie allotments will be due to that days workout. Sometimes, if I have a mid-length run day, I add in a calorie dense nutrition bar in the late afternoon.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Feel free to take a peek at my diary. I also have a healthy cooking page on facebook because so many MFPeeps were coming to me asking advice for this very reason. Feel free to take a look at it

https://www.facebook.com/TheSassyGourmet

PS: I was very sick this weekend so I did not log in my diary. But have been here since January. Not every day is perfect but I am at goal weight and pretty much eat what I want and happily celebrate birthdays and anniversaries with no guilt what so ever.
  • ShaneOSX
    Options
    Do you have an iPhone? Download the "Fooducate" app and use it to scan every single thing you buy. Takes all the guess work out for you.

As for a typical day, I aim to eat my weight or more in grams of protein, which for me is 168, which is a lot, so it's something I have to actually think about accomplishing. I also aim for 25% of my calories to come from good fat, with a a focus on Omega 3. The remainder of my calories after the 25% fat and all that protein are left for carbs, which I feel are basically useless.

I eat a lot of greek yogurt, natural protein powder, natural deli turkey, low sodium tuna, fruits, vegetables. I aim to get a protein with every meal and basically just avoid bread and white rice.

Some amazing foods I've come across: P28 protein bread, Wegman's Super Pasta (protein), Chia seeds, PB2 powdered peanut butter, Quinoa, etc.

Feel free to message me with any questions or look at my diary.
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    It's really simple to just give up if you overwhelm yourself by taking on everything at once! Take baby steps....maybe start by swapping water for soda or making sure you have a fruit or veggie with every meal. You can never mess up by eating the wrong thing....learn from it and make a better choice next time! Good luck :flowerforyou: