Do you tape measure yourself?

Options
Just out of curiosity. This is my first day sticking to a diet/exercise/supplement regimen and I'd like to know the importance of taping yourself... I was just going to watch the scale. Opinions? Thanks for looking! :) add me! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I would definitely take measurements! Your weight may stay the same or go up as you gain muscle, but the inches will go down.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I measure myself once every couple of weeks. It makes me feel good to see my measurements go down as well as the number on the scale!
  • eyestylemom
    eyestylemom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I do. I have lost 3 lbs in 4 weeks, BUT I have lost 7.5 inches also in those 4 weeks. Keeps my head in the game knowing I am shrinking more. :)
  • Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I think you should take your measurements. I didn't and really wish I would've. The scale has went down, but it would be fun to see how much everything has too.
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Definitely take measurements. I'll lose inches before I'll lose pounds and it's nice to have that feedback when you think you aren't making any progress.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Options
    I do,but I suppose I just want to make sure my body itself is shrinking and catching up with the scale and that the scale is not just showing water weight...
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You can't "see" weight so much as you can see inches coming off.
  • hungergames324
    hungergames324 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I just measured myself for the first time last week. I wish I would have done it sooner!
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Most people agree that measuring is much effective than weighing. Weight isn't always accurate and can (a lot of times) be discouraging. My weight plateaued for 2 months, but in that time I lost an inch of my waist so I knew I was doing well even though the scale didn't agree. I measure myself about once a week and long it any time there is a change. You can log it easily in MFP and keep track of your progess. I've lost 17lbs (give or take) and have lost 4 inches off my waist and hips. My waist went from a 32 to 28. Good luck!
  • LuckyTerrier
    LuckyTerrier Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I do! I take measurements every 2 weeks and I use them to estimate my body fat. I think measurements help you get a more complete picture of your progress. Sometimes when you're losing fat and building muscle, you will see more drastic results in the measurements than the scale. I guess it really depends on your personal goals. My ultimate goal is in terms of body fat %, rather than weight.
  • ravenlaramie
    ravenlaramie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity. This is my first day sticking to a diet/exercise/supplement regimen and I'd like to know the importance of taping yourself... I was just going to watch the scale. Opinions? Thanks for looking! :) add me! :flowerforyou:

Honestly, from what I've learned in my 46 day stint here, the tape measure is going to be a LOT more helpful than the scale. As you build muscle you may gain a little weight which is always discouraging. The tape measure tends to prove that you're still doing well though. On average, I have weighed myself a small handful of times (3 times to be exact) but I measure at least once a week.

To further rest my case... I went from 335 to 312 to 315. However, In that time I've gone from 51.5 inches on my waist down to 48.5 and I can tell in the way my clothing fits.

The scale is usually always been a real enemy to me though so I rely on the measurements.
  • melly7171
    melly7171 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yes Def!!!! I havnt lost much scale weight i think due to starting at the gym at the same time but my measurements are going down!
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Do it, do it, do it! I only just took my first measurements in mid-August, after I had lost nearly 20 pounds, and I really wish I had taken them at the outset. The weight on the scale can fluctuate or plateau, but with measurements you can see a different type of progress separate and distinct from the scale.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling of dreading the scale, I just started measuring myself though I have noticed a change in the way my clothing fits. I do wish I had started earlier but I guess I started when the timing was right for me. I work out at least 5 times a week and after almost 3 months I am just seeing a steady decline on the scale - but it is still not my favorite activity.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I don't, but sometimes I wish I did. But then again, there would just be more numbers to obsess over...
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    The scale is a dirty wench. Tape measure and calipers are much better measures of composition changes.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Measurements are vital. For example, I just finished training for a half marathon. I weigh more now than I did before I started the training, but my waist and hips are each a full inch smaller, and my thighs are each an average of a half an inch smaller. So even though I gained weight on the scale, my clothes fit better and my body looks better. If you're going by only the scale, it can get frustrating since you're not getting the whole picture.

As for measuring techniques, there are lots of great websites out there that will show you the places to take measurements and give you good tips about how to do them (keep the tape level, don't pull it tight, etc.) so that you can accurately track things over time.
  • carolebville
    carolebville Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Definitely measure! I did, well before I started this stint on MFP and it was amazing how many inches that I lost from all parts of my body. I think it would be called a "NON-SCALE VICTORY". :blushing:
  • Fat2Fit4Life
    Fat2Fit4Life Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Only the part that I hope is getting bigger while the rest of me is getting smaller :tongue:
  • SP00KSH0WBABY
    Options
    whoaaaa... I see what the majority says!! I went and got a digital measurer and took them... thanks to all for the opinions! :)