Not losing weight despite netting below BMR

Options
Hi, I'm a 5'11'' 18 year old male and I've been using MFP for about 5 weeks now. I weigh 158lbs at the moment - but this is down from only 160lbs. I have no idea why the weight is refusing to come off - my BMR is meant to be something like 1750kcal/day, and I've been netting about 1400kcal/day. I've seen hardly any change in body shape, and my bathroom scales which also measure body fat % have only measured about a 0.5 percentage point decrease. Obviously the bathroom scales are guessing a bit when it comes to body fat, but it seems like a reasonable guess.
My lowest weight since using MFP was actually 154lbs, but over the last week or so, it has been increasing, even though I haven't changed my diet or how much I exercise.
Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? Advice for how to lose weight and keep it off would be much appreciated.

Replies

• abirkel
    Options
    You're not eating enough, dude.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

If you want to change your body shape, start following a basic barbell program like Stronglifts or Starting Strength.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Eat more and follow the link posted above. I try to never net BELOW my BMR.
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    If you are 5"11 and weigh 158 why are you trying to lose weight anyway?
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    If you are 5"11 and weigh 158 why are you trying to lose weight anyway?

^^^^ this. I suggest eating lots more and lifting heavy and building those muscles up. If you are obsessing about losing weight, you may want to take a serious look at that, its just not healthy dude.
  • schwournes
    Options
    I thought to lose weight you had to net below your BMR? To make your body burn up the adipose tissue for energy?
    And my actual weight as a number doesn't bug me. But my bone structure and amount of muscle are very light (so I have more fat tissue than the number would suggest) and it's also distributed very unflatteringly - it's pretty much all central. My arms are skinny and my legs only have a bit of fat on - but it's all on my chest and abdomen.
    The idea of this is that it's easier to focus on burning fat OR building muscle rather than both at the same time - so the plan was to burn fat to an acceptable level then build muscle. Except the plan has all gone wrong because my body has decided to put on weight instead of lose it :/

By quickly reading the post that you've linked to, I think I may be confusing BMR with TDEE - by BMR I mean the number of calories I would have to net to maintain the same weight. I'm going to read the post in full after this reply :)

Also, the post mentions setting a body fat percentage goal rather than weight - this is actually how I set my weight goal, I somehow, by the magic of maths, had converted the fat % to the weight I would need to achieve before really trying to build muscle.

On my ideas of it being difficult to burn fat while building muscle - am I right, or have I got completely the wrong idea? D:

Thank you all for your replies though :)
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options
    You are totally off base darlin.

I am going to let one of the boys come in and explain it to you since we are in 2 very different boats, but the best way to burn fat is by building muscle. So eat, train, sweat and sleep.
  • NorCalRey
    NorCalRey Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think your numbers are off. Reread the link that has already been sent to you and start from scratch.

However, I personally think you need to stop trying to lose weight and try to gain muscle mass instead. To do this you need to eat a slight surplus of calories. Get on a good beginners weight training program and reevaluate everything in 12 months. Just my 2 cents.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Why are you trying to lose weight? SERIOUSLY?!?
  • amandashort30
    Options
    Try Les Mills Body Pump !! Great program for building lean muscle ....
  • bullisnn82
    Options
    You are totally off base darlin.

I am going to let one of the boys come in and explain it to you since we are in 2 very different boats, but the best way to burn fat is by building muscle. So eat, train, sweat and sleep.

this ^ you'll never lose weight by starving yourself like that - if anything you'll eventually end up gaining and then REALLY have a hard time getting rid of it. If you have skinny arms, then put some muscle on them - trust - chics dig muscle, not skinny, so much
  • schwournes
    Options
    Just to make it clear, the goal was never skinny - achieving skinniness was just going to be a waypoint on the way to becoming muscular. It made sense in context of all the misinformation that I've read. I've completely re-evaluated it and followed all of that thread and turns out I have been way undereating. Which in some ways is good news, because I love food so I'm happy about being able to eat an extra 500kcal per day!

Just to check that this isn't also misinformation - would I be right in saying that I should be doing a balanced exercise regime of both resistance training and cardiovascular workouts?

And just for people saying that I shouldn't be trying to lose weight - the numbers do not paint an accurate picture of my chest and stomach. They're rather larger than you would predict.
  • NorCalRey
    NorCalRey Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Dude, at 158 lbs., I would limit the cardio. If you do it, add back those calories.

Concentrate on building muscle now and once you have added some muscle mass worry about the fat later. At your weight and height there can't be that much anyways.

Good luck and stay with it.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options
    Just to make it clear, the goal was never skinny - achieving skinniness was just going to be a waypoint on the way to becoming muscular. It made sense in context of all the misinformation that I've read. I've completely re-evaluated it and followed all of that thread and turns out I have been way undereating. Which in some ways is good news, because I love food so I'm happy about being able to eat an extra 500kcal per day!

Just to check that this isn't also misinformation - would I be right in saying that I should be doing a balanced exercise regime of both resistance training and cardiovascular workouts?

And just for people saying that I shouldn't be trying to lose weight - the numbers do not paint an accurate picture of my chest and stomach. They're rather larger than you would predict.

Look into the P90x system. But what ever you do, you do need to eat more. And what you are talking about is skinny fat, I get it, I promise I do, but you really need to try to be building muscle and you do that by eating more. Your body is going to look to you muscles for fuel if you do not start feeding it more. You will not get fat, I promise.
  • AverageAngel
    AverageAngel Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough, dude.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

If you want to change your body shape, start following a basic barbell program like Stronglifts or Starting Strength.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
    agree
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    As others have suggested and as you have already realised, you need to eat a lot more. Your weight is fine, you won't change your shape by losing weight, but rather by getting into weights and learning about body composition and changing things that way. Remember to get in lots of protein as well to preserve the lean mass you do have. You will find you look amazing once you get on some muscle and then you can work on any fat you might still struggle with, or it might even take care of itself once you start weight training.
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    Options
    I thought to lose weight you had to net below your BMR? To make your body burn up the adipose tissue for energy?
    And my actual weight as a number doesn't bug me. But my bone structure and amount of muscle are very light (so I have more fat tissue than the number would suggest) and it's also distributed very unflatteringly - it's pretty much all central. My arms are skinny and my legs only have a bit of fat on - but it's all on my chest and abdomen.
    The idea of this is that it's easier to focus on burning fat OR building muscle rather than both at the same time - so the plan was to burn fat to an acceptable level then build muscle. Except the plan has all gone wrong because my body has decided to put on weight instead of lose it :/

By quickly reading the post that you've linked to, I think I may be confusing BMR with TDEE - by BMR I mean the number of calories I would have to net to maintain the same weight. I'm going to read the post in full after this reply :)

Also, the post mentions setting a body fat percentage goal rather than weight - this is actually how I set my weight goal, I somehow, by the magic of maths, had converted the fat % to the weight I would need to achieve before really trying to build muscle.

On my ideas of it being difficult to burn fat while building muscle - am I right, or have I got completely the wrong idea? D:

Thank you all for your replies though :)

Look buddy there's a couple things you need to understand. First off, muscle burns calories. You probably aren't burning enough calories for your body to lose your fat. I suggest you start to go into a gaining phase at this time since you have platuaed in your quest for being lean.

Your main goal is to be lean but muscular right? Well work on being muscular first. Then cut down periodically until you've reached your goal. What your diet should look like would be 4-5 weeks of gaining 1-2lbs per week for the first several weeks, and then to cut down on calories and up your cardio for a week. Then go back into trying to gain 1lb per week for another 4-5 weeks and then cut down for a week. This way you will be getting muscular, but not putting on a lot of fat. Do this for 6 months and I GUARANTEE you will like the results you get.

During this time a weight lifting regiment should be started IMMEDIATELY. If you want a good one this is what I've been doing:

http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html
  • abirkel
    Options
    Only do cardio if you really, really love it, but make sure you're eating back what you burn. Your main goal here, since you are at a healthy weight but not a healthy body fat percentage, is body recomp. So eat at or really close to your TDEE or even at a surplus and start lifting heavy things. Forget the weight machines at the gym and stick with a barbell. Squat, deadlifts, etc. Get enough sleep.

You're only 18, so take advantage of your genetic potential and gain as much muscle as you can. Which means eating. A lot.

I wish I was 18 again, stumbling upon this information for the first time....
  • adianeschu
    adianeschu Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    bump