First day, struggling

Options
Hi everyone,

Today is my first day on the site. My doctor referred me to a registered dietitian who suggested that I use this site to keep track of the foods I eat. I have moderately high cholesterol and blood sugar. I've been obese all of my life.

I'm finding it difficult now to avoid going into the kitchen and grabbing food. I've already eaten my allotment of food for the day. I should have spaced it out a little better I suppose. I know that I need to break these bad habits. I've only eaten about half of the amount of food today that I normally eat, small victory there.

Do you have any tricks or tips to help avoid mindless snacking? Or things to get your mind off of eating?

Replies

• waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    well congrats on making the first step... you need to space your meals out further if you've already eaten your calories... if your hungry still go and drink water i find drinking water in between meals and snacks helps and what are you eating that has you already at your limit?? try eating more fruits and vegs.. they are low in calories
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I would plan out what you are going to eat beforehand- do it the night before or first thing in the morning. That helps me a lot, once I know what's on the menu for the day I can space out my eating much better and it's easier to tell myself 'no' when I have the urge to eat something I haven't already planned into my day when I know what/when my other snack or meal will be. You still have to practice self-control, though, there's no easy way around that one. It's also helpful to drink a glass of water ever time you're hungry instead of going straight for a snack. I’ve seen some people make notes of how they feel every time they eat something, so like “apple- 90 calories- starving” or “Reece’s- 210 calories- stressed.” That helps you to realize what triggers you to eat poorly and makes it easier to avoid when you’re feeling that way. If you just say to yourself, “I want to eat candy because I’m stressed. Why am I stressed and how can I fix it without eating? I know, I’ll go for a walk and see if this feeling passes.” it moves your mindset away from craving that food and potentially fixes the issue in a more healthy way. Good luck! Once you start seeing results you’ll be more excited about sticking to it, I promise.
  • SlimSlow15
    SlimSlow15 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    well congrats on making the first step... you need to space your meals out further if you've already eaten your calories... if your hungry still go and drink water i find drinking water in between meals and snacks helps and what are you eating that has you already at your limit?? try eating more fruits and vegs.. they are low in calories

I had a couple bananas, green beans, pineapple, cheerios, a sandwich, and chili. I know that it's a lot of food, but I'm used to eating much larger portions. I'm committed to sticking to this for my health. I just don't feel full
  • SlimSlow15
    Options
    I would plan out what you are going to eat beforehand- do it the night before or first thing in the morning. That helps me a lot, once I know what's on the menu for the day I can space out my eating much better and it's easier to tell myself 'no' when I have the urge to eat something I haven't already planned into my day when I know what/when my other snack or meal will be. You still have to practice self-control, though, there's no easy way around that one. It's also helpful to drink a glass of water ever time you're hungry instead of going straight for a snack. I’ve seen some people make notes of how they feel every time they eat something, so like “apple- 90 calories- starving” or “Reece’s- 210 calories- stressed.” That helps you to realize what triggers you to eat poorly and makes it easier to avoid when you’re feeling that way. If you just say to yourself, “I want to eat candy because I’m stressed. Why am I stressed and how can I fix it without eating? I know, I’ll go for a walk and see if this feeling passes.” it moves your mindset away from craving that food and potentially fixes the issue in a more healthy way. Good luck! Once you start seeing results you’ll be more excited about sticking to it, I promise.

Writing down whether I feel full or not after eating certain foods seems like a good idea, thanks. I'll also step up my water intake
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have plenty of healthy snacks on hand. It is only the first day - logging is an excellent first step, pretty soon you'll see just what foods are worth and which aren't, where you can make changes, etc. and you'll start adjusting accordingly. You've already had a smaller amount of food today so don't worry so much if you're "over" calories today since you're Under your normal calorie count. Give yourself some time to get used to everything and enjoy those small victories.
  • Wolfe1759
    Wolfe1759 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I find that planning about what I will eat during the day helps a lot - - once the food is in my diary, I am reluctant to go over plan.

I've also managed to get all the trigger foods out of my house (over time), so that when I am at home, I am less likely to find food that sets off a binge.

Good luck!
  • SlimSlow15
    Options
    Make sure you have plenty of healthy snacks on hand. It is only the first day - logging is an excellent first step, pretty soon you'll see just what foods are worth and which aren't, where you can make changes, etc. and you'll start adjusting accordingly. You've already had a smaller amount of food today so don't worry so much if you're "over" calories today since you're Under your normal calorie count. Give yourself some time to get used to everything and enjoy those small victories.

Yeah, I really need to buy some low calorie snacks. I still have some junk food, because I just started this. I don't really want to throw it away and be wasteful
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    This 2 weeks is the hardest bit - as your stomach needs to shrink.

If you're hungry eat an apple, before bed so you don't have an empty stomach to sleep. Try to lose the mentality that you need to feel "full" as that's what's caused the weight gain in the first place.
    You won't die.

It will get easier if you persevere. Distract yourself!
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options

I've also managed to get all the trigger foods out of my house (over time), so that when I am at home, I am less likely to find food that sets off a binge.

That's really great advice, regardless of how much self-control I am able to muster, if there's something I really like sitting in the fridge/freezer/pantry it will most certainly be eaten within 24 hours. If my boyfriend brings home a sweet he knows I like and does not eat it the day he brings it home he will hide it and say he ate it so as not to torture me. I will literally think about Dark Chocolate Reeces in my freezer all day if they're there.
  • SlimSlow15
    Options
    I find that planning about what I will eat during the day helps a lot - - once the food is in my diary, I am reluctant to go over plan.

Good luck!

Yeah, I just started so I still have a lot of foods in the house that aren't so healthy. Being a broke college student and all, I'm not really keen on the idea of throwing it out. I'm trying to incorporate small bits of it into my plan until it's gone. I don't plan on buying more of it
  • Bingbi
    Options
    First of all, welcome! And second of all, it does get easier... I promise!

1) drink plenty of water! When you get a craving, drink a full glass of water. Sometimes our bodies can confuse the thirsty-hungry signals, so drink and wait.

2) record EVERYTHING you eat/drink! Knowing that you'll have to take the time to write it down here and be accountable might stop you from mindless munching.

3) Do some cardio workouts. At least for me, cario (especially running) actually suppresses my appetite (lasts for about 1 hour after workout).

4) Don't bring junk food into your house. It is easier to win the battle at the grocery store than in your kitchen. You can't eat it if it's not there!

5) brush your teeth between meals, or chew some low-sugar gum. You won't want to eat when you have that fresh minty taste in your mouth. I personally chew half a stick of reduced sugar gum while I cook dinner because it prevents me from sampling the cooking or mindlessly popping ingredients into my mouth (which can add up to a lot of extra calories).

6) I also drink unsweetened herbal tea. It is a flavorful low cal snack, an since it's hot you have to sip it slowly and it lasts quite a while.
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    ps THROW AWAY ALL THE JUNK FOOD

It's still a waste even if youeat it!
  • laurenellenmarie
    laurenellenmarie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    First off, it's your first day! Congratulations and welcome!
    Second. It's your first day.

You will eventually learn what you can eat.
    Also, exercise! You can earn more calories back that you can eat!

Feel free to add me as a friend! We're in this together!
  • SlimSlow15
    Options
    This 2 weeks is the hardest bit - as your stomach needs to shrink.

If you're hungry eat an apple, before bed so you don't have an empty stomach to sleep. Try to lose the mentality that you need to feel "full" as that's what's caused the weight gain in the first place.
    You won't die.

It will get easier if you persevere. Distract yourself!

Yeah, it's hard to adjust. Instead of having my body tell me that I'm full and to stop eating, I have to stop eating on my own. Thanks
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options

I had a couple bananas, green beans, pineapple, cheerios, a sandwich, and chili. I know that it's a lot of food, but I'm used to eating much larger portions. I'm committed to sticking to this for my health. I just don't feel full

what are your calories set at????? cheerios arent great to eat they are high in calories.. try light cruskits with half a slice of light cheese on each cruskit and 50g of turkey shaved meat ( 2 of those is only 157calories) skip the butter on it you wont need it... I'm more then happy to help you with your food and give you ideas add me if you like
  • SlimSlow15
    Options
    First of all, welcome! And second of all, it does get easier... I promise!

1) drink plenty of water! When you get a craving, drink a full glass of water. Sometimes our bodies can confuse the thirsty-hungry signals, so drink and wait.

2) record EVERYTHING you eat/drink! Knowing that you'll have to take the time to write it down here and be accountable might stop you from mindless munching.

3) Do some cardio workouts. At least for me, cario (especially running) actually suppresses my appetite (lasts for about 1 hour after workout).

4) Don't bring junk food into your house. It is easier to win the battle at the grocery store than in your kitchen. You can't eat it if it's not there!

5) brush your teeth between meals, or chew some low-sugar gum. You won't want to eat when you have that fresh minty taste in your mouth. I personally chew half a stick of reduced sugar gum while I cook dinner because it prevents me from sampling the cooking or mindlessly popping ingredients into my mouth (which can add up to a lot of extra calories).

6) I also drink unsweetened herbal tea. It is a flavorful low cal snack, an since it's hot you have to sip it slowly and it lasts quite a while.

The gum trick seems like a good idea. Maybe eating ice will help as well
  • anthemforagirl
    Options
    I did the same.
    I removed any trigger foods.
    It helped me stick to a plan.

Also, portioning out your food prior helps you to figure out when you need to eat.
  • SlimSlow15
    Options

what are your calories set at????? cheerios arent great to eat they are high in calories.. try light cruskits with half a slice of light cheese on each cruskit and 50g of turkey shaved meat ( 2 of those is only 157calories) skip the butter on it you wont need it... I'm more then happy to help you with your food and give you ideas add me if you like

Currently set at 1800 calories (my dietitian set it) which I think is great since it's more sustainable than trying to get by on 1500 or less as I've attempted in the past. It's just that I've been obese my entire life and I normally consume 3500-4000 calories per day...so this is a big change
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    The first 3 days are the hardest. I lost a lot on what I call the Half Diet. I ate a half portion of what I normally wanted. Even if it was fast food, I only allowed myself half. I now make better fast food at home and eliminate the bad stuff. I also learned how little I can eat to kill my appetite. How much to get rid of ravenous vs. the controllable level of a little hungry. I save a lot of grocery money this way. I've also noticed that if I stuff on low calorie veggies it seems to stretch my stomach and make me even hungrier. Small portions several times a day works better. Then if you are tempted to splurge your stomach feels the difference in quantityl. I often eat all my calories by 4 p.m. so I make 2 cups of decaf with a little 1% milk and a tsp. of sugar and tell myself I have the calories already in my system that I need. Still munchy, I will have one 100 cal. treat and eat it v e r y s l o w l y !!!
  • SlimSlow15
    Options
    I did the same.
    I removed any trigger foods.
    It helped me stick to a plan.

Also, portioning out your food prior helps you to figure out when you need to eat.

I'll try to spread the food out more tomorrow. Today I ate lunch just a couple hours after I ate breakfast because I still felt hungry :/