exercise w/o use of foot

Options
due to a foot injury I can't run/walk... or basically do anything on my foot. anyone know of good exercise I can do so I can keep in the habit?

Replies

• Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Can you bike or is that still too much pressure? Maybe recumbent?

Are you able to strength train?

Swimming? Rowing machine?
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    google chair exercises

also resistance band work outs would work as well
  • GrammaBonnie
    GrammaBonnie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • parmeisan
    parmeisan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Weights comes to mind first - probably wouldn't hurt to spend a day a week doing those anyway. This looks like a decent video to get you started: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d08Cy0Xfj8o Maybe also look up medicine ball workouts on YouTube.

And how about crunches/push-ups/squats, that sort of thing? See if you can do any of these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmoU3wxO3B8 You can work off a lot of calories just doing a variety of these.

Good luck!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Some gyms have an arm bike (?); you sit on it and cycle using your hands.

Also, you can do some weight training with light weight and all while seated or laying down.

Chest press
    chest flies
    shoulder press
    Pull downs
    seated rows
    Lateral Flies
    Arm curls
    Tricep extensions
    Tricep Kickbacks

You should also be able to use the leg machines for abductor and adductor, leg curls and leg extensions (the last two will put pressure on your ankle, so it depends on where you're issue is with your foot.
  • machuril
    machuril Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Are you non-weight bearing in your leg? Do one minute circuits of punches, oblique crunches (weights to sides and tilt L then R), delt presses, trunk twists, etc seated. Get your heart rate up that way.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I had this issue earlier in the summer because of a bad sprain.

Lifting
    Wii Boxing and/or Shadowboxing
    Try doing mild aerobics on your knees (trust me, I did!)
  • SueMizZou
    SueMizZou Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    There are machines at my gym that look like bicycle pedals that you work with your hands. I tried it and it seemed like a good cardio workout. I don't know what they're called but they might help
  • JRaeZins
    JRaeZins Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Swim, if you can!
  • jesjosep
    Options
    Abs!
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Just eat right and let your injury heal. Once you feel up to working out just take it slow to start with.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    awesome suggestions. I too am in this situation now due to a severe sprain. will keep an eye on this thread for anymore ideas.
  • ameliasnelling
    Options
    I believe I have a hairline foot fracture. Went to the ER yesterday and the nurse practitioner handed me an xray of the opposite end of my foot that the injury is on and said "its not broken, we're going to tape it up, take ibuprofin." (seriously, that was the entire conversation. I can put a little pressure on it, but its still swollen and I have pain up to my knee.

Thank you guys for all of the ideas! I'll definitely implement them!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I believe I have a hairline foot fracture. Went to the ER yesterday and the nurse practitioner handed me an xray of the opposite end of my foot that the injury is on and said "its not broken, we're going to tape it up, take ibuprofin." (seriously, that was the entire conversation. I can put a little pressure on it, but its still swollen and I have pain up to my knee.

Thank you guys for all of the ideas! I'll definitely implement them!

Anything other than a clean break can easily be missed in an ER. See a sports med doc!
  • ameliasnelling
    Options
    I called my Dr (who has sports med. experience) for a 2nd opinion. We'll see what he says.