• cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I love sushi too!

but beware:
    tempura = deep fried
    cream cheese = high in fat
    mayo = extra cals
    white rice = high GI (but everything in moderation!)
    sauces are usually high in sodium (I can't even eat the miso soup... too salty!!)

but if you get the simple rolls without all the fatty ingredients, it's great! low-cal and filling!

(I do love my gyoza though... oops)

Where does the cream cheese and the mayo get used in shusi? I never heard of that?

The roll she described had cream cheese in it. The crab mixture in almost every roll is crab or imitation crab mixed with mayo. Anything with baked scallops is baked with mayo. So it happens quite a bit in American sushi.
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    My favorite sushi from my local place is this spicy salmon roll. Only it's not your typical spicy salmon. They make a roll with avocado and chopped salmon, and then the rice is studded with lemongrass and sweet potato crumbs. So good, and no mayo!

Then, another local place does this really great gunkanmaki. They take rice, wrap it with avocado, and top it with spicy salmon and just a sprinkling of tempura crumbs.

Not sure I have ever had lemongrass, but that and sweet potato crumbs sounds deelish!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I love sushi - spicy tuna rolls = amazing because I LOVE spicy.

That's my problem with sashimi - the fish is nice but I like SPICE! Lol.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    My favorite sushi is uni (sea urchin roe). It's rolled with nori and rice - I don't care, I just eat the uni out of the roll. It's delicious!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    You can order any sushi item with"no rice"… I do all the time. Most of the time they put those sprouts in it to fill it out. My favorite new fast food is "How you roll".. you tell them what your want on your roll or select from a preset menu. Great stuff.
  • D3vAnge1
    D3vAnge1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Well, if you Sushi Lovers have a second to school me...I thought sushi was raw fish, but I went to a Japanese restaurant and was informed by a patron, someone who truly appeared to be a sushi LOVER in all respects (LOL) that there was some cooked sushi...hummm?
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I just had some for dinner. I had the crab california roll with brown rice and some shrimp shumai. :)
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    Well, if you Sushi Lovers have a second to school me...I thought sushi was raw fish, but I went to a Japanese restaurant and was informed by a patron, someone who truly appeared to be a sushi LOVER in all respects (LOL) that there was some cooked sushi...hummm?

Most sushi is actually made of all cooked ingredients and doesn't have to have raw ingredients. Ebi sushi is steamed shrimp. Tamago sushi is cooked egg. Unagi is cooked eel and don't forget Fried Tempura, crab and lobster rolls which are cooked as well. Then you have a large selection of veggie rolls too like mango, avocado, cucumber and other various vegetables and fruit as well. One doesn't have to have raw fish to enjoy sushi.
  • melodiclyrics
    melodiclyrics Posts: 82 Member
    Options

Really quickly (and I am no expert, but I do love sushi) sushi doesn't actually refer to the fish at all - it's the treatment of the rice. It's just become synonymous with the fish/rice combination (which is nigri sushi) and the rolls (maki sushi).

Sashimi is just slices of fish without rice. Nigri or sashimi can be cooked, or raw. Typically there are both options on the menu, and some places even have "beginners sushi" which is generally all cooked. :)

I hope that gives you a little clarification. :D
  • Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Sushi is my FAVORITE food of all times, but since embarking on this new journey, I've basically transitioned to sashimi. If I have enough calories to splurge, I'll get chirashi, but as much as I love sushi rice, what makes the rice sticky is a mixture of rice vinegar and sugar, which means it's higher calorie than regular white rice. Though I'm never sure if the sugar calories get added out be the extra bit of resistant starch you get from eating sushi rice as it has cooled (apparently when rice is hot, it's not as much a resistant starch). I now only let myself eat rolls (especially rolls with cream cheese or tempura) for special occasions. I don't miss it that much, though, as sashimi is just so delicious!

FYI, not sure if you guys all have this info already, but I found a great site with the nutritional breakdown of different kinds of sushi. It's not surprising, but the different kinds of fish are different nutritional values :)

http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-health/calories-in-sushi/
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I could never get sick of (good) sushi and a lot of other Japanese food, both traditional and westernized. The way to have it super healthy is to go for more fish, less rice (and get it brown, if it's an option), and skip the mayos etc. When I wanted the "healthy" lunch or dinner at my favourite sushi place in Toronto (alas, I no longer live there), I would order a combo that had 12 slices of assorted sashimi and something like 6 or 8 pieces of nigirizushi.

I love me some of the spicy mayo in a salmon or tuna temaki (cone), as well as a caterpillar roll (tempura shrimp, cucumber, avocado inside, topped off with layered avocado slices, red fish roe, and drizzled with teriyaki sauce), and sushi pizza (a large, panko-breaded, deep-fried rice cake topped with avocado, salmon, cucumber slices, spicy mayo and fish roe, cut into 6 pieces).

As for making my own, I know how to do some basic rolls and will sometimes buy some cold-smoked salmon and tuna for this purpose. The major obstacle is that I love the raw fish so much, and it's such an integral part of my sushi experience, that I'm limited in my ability to enjoy a home version by a lack of access to sushi-grade fish. In order for the fish to be safe to use, it has to be flash-frozen for 24-48 hours at -20 celsius or lower, to kill any potential parasites. In case anyone does not know this: You absolutely should not use raw fish that hasn't gone through this process, for health and safety reasons. You could, in theory, freeze fish yourself and hold it below -20 celsius for that period of time, but I guarantee the results will be mushy and not up to snuff, as far as sushi goes. Slower freezing causes larger ice crystals to form, which damages cell walls, which is why the fish will come out mushier and losing a lot of its juices when thawed.
  • amberrrrh
    amberrrrh Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i love salmon nigiri SO much.. lol

now im craving it.
  • acrossthesea_
    Options
    Avacado sushi is my favorite! Mmmm or shrimp tempura roll!
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I looove Miso soup! Also eel, tuna, crab!!!!, roe, basically anything. But I'm careful with the rice. I too advice go for Sashimi rather than Sushi if you have it frequently. Too bad it's so darn expensive!
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Sushi is my FAVORITE food of all times, but since embarking on this new journey, I've basically transitioned to sashimi. If I have enough calories to splurge, I'll get chirashi, but as much as I love sushi rice, what makes the rice sticky is a mixture of rice vinegar and sugar, which means it's higher calorie than regular white rice. Though I'm never sure if the sugar calories get added out be the extra bit of resistant starch you get from eating sushi rice as it has cooled (apparently when rice is hot, it's not as much a resistant starch). I now only let myself eat rolls (especially rolls with cream cheese or tempura) for special occasions. I don't miss it that much, though, as sashimi is just so delicious!

FYI, not sure if you guys all have this info already, but I found a great site with the nutritional breakdown of different kinds of sushi. It's not surprising, but the different kinds of fish are different nutritional values :)

http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-health/calories-in-sushi/

THANKS! for the website! gonna take a look at it! :)