I need help with my running

Options
Okay. My main exercises are running, push ups, and sit ups. Mean while I do PT during the day for ROTC later in the week.
I know how to run a mile and I've been working on trying to improve my time(I want to be the fastest human in my squad. Teehee)
Sundays are typically my rest days.
The problem stems from the fact that when I get off my breaks, I feel I have to build back up to reach going at a mile again.

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    How long are your breaks? If they are over a week then your fitness declines. The solution is not to take breaks from working out.
  • They're typically one day in the week.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You just need to keep working on it then. Adding a little more distance to your daily runs or adding another running day would help a lot. Don't worry about running fast while training. Run at whatever speed you need to finish the distance. Once every couple of weeks do a mile for time and you should see the time improving.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you run track. At 19 you're not going to lose any fitness after a 1 day break.
  • You just need to keep working on it then. Adding a little more distance to your daily runs or adding another running day would help a lot. Don't worry about running fast while training. Run at whatever speed you need to finish the distance. Once every couple of weeks do a mile for time and you should see the time improving.

Scott, you maybe right
    @ Brian It maybe what Scott is saying. I'm not pushing myself further to get use to what I'm doing.
  • E7Hartman
    Options
    Having personal exp w/ this I will say that Army would be an awesome place to continue your fitness goals. Not only would it be your goal, it's theirs as well. They will run you all day for the fun of it. The others have pointed out very good observations with your running. Its not really the speed to focus on even though being the fastest is always gratifying but rather stamina and endurance. Pushing just a bit father everytime your out will bring you huge rewards. I used to go out in the country and run/sprint telephone poles. Run one, sprint one and every time I would do one pole further than the day before. If you really want to check your speed, I might suggest on your last day as your speed day. Maybe run a mile for speed and then jog the last bit and see how you do. I guarantee if you push past the mile even a little bit everytime you will see results you will like.
    Remember your APFT( Army Physical Fitness Test) goals. Its a point system and you want at least 60 in your run plus bf needs to be 30% or less. Good luck and keep up your running.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said and just keep doing it and you will get stronger.

good luck! Thank you for your service to our country!
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Do any of you have suggestions for me on my 5k runs? I'm having trouble bettering my time, but my main problems is I haven't been able to run the entire distance without stopping consistently. Sometimes it is because of leg/ankle/muscle pain, and sometimes it is because of conditioning--breathing too hard (this is when I try to push my speed a little).
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Do any of you have suggestions for me on my 5k runs? I'm having trouble bettering my time, but my main problems is I haven't been able to run the entire distance without stopping consistently. Sometimes it is because of leg/ankle/muscle pain, and sometimes it is because of conditioning--breathing too hard (this is when I try to push my speed a little).

Have you seen your doctor about the pain? In my case, I had poor strength in my "stabilizer muscles" (the muscles that surround the knee and support the ankle).

How long have you been running? It took me 6 months of running twice a week to get up to 5k without stopping.

Do you do weight training? Do you do intervals? Do you cross train (swim, bike, yoga)?
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options

Have you seen your doctor about the pain? In my case, I had poor strength in my "stabilizer muscles" (the muscles that surround the knee and support the ankle).

How long have you been running? It took me 6 months of running twice a week to get up to 5k without stopping.

Do you do weight training? Do you do intervals? Do you cross train (swim, bike, yoga)?

I'm thinking about seeing a podiatrist because I have high arches, and I am starting to get **** splints again (haven't had since I was a teen) and now I'm having heel pain. This is a recent occurence. I think I have tremendously increased my strength in the muscles surrounding my knees because I used to have awful pain doing squats, and now I don't after modifying my squats and doing other exercises.

I've started back running now for six months. I usually run three times a week.

I was weight training by doing a Body Pump class three times a week. Now that my gym schedule has changed, I'm thinking of doing circuit training and/or free weights. I do all the classes offered at my gym. I typically workout two hours a day doing classes Monday-Friday--step aerobics, body pump. calisthenics, etc.

I haven't done intervals, but I was considering them. My speed work is horrible.
  • What everyone else said and just keep doing it and you will get stronger.

good luck! Thank you for your service to our country!

Thanks but its only ROTC not serving yet (my birthday falls weird.) I still have college to get through and a lot of weight to lose.