Very discouraged

Options
I started changing my lifestyle after my son was born in May. I weighed 265 then. I've been battling the weight loss ever since and it doesn't seem to be coming off. (I've always been overweight.) I've fought every step for the 33-35 pounds I've lost so far, but I feel like it's all stopped. I walk at least 4 days a week, 20-30 minuets, and have started to incorperate some jogging too. I started doing a little pilates again as well. For the past three weeks, my scale hasn't budged. Three weeks ago I changed my caloric intake from 1530 to 1290, thinking it would help me lose weight. Not the case. I increased it to 1450, the amount MFP says I should eat to lose 1.5 pounds a week. I don't go over very often, and don't splurge on junk very often either. I must be doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what.

Replies

• rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    I don't like to give advice since I'm still trying to figure things out myself, so I'm just here to say you're doing great so far. 30+ lbs lost is awesome!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Don't feel discouraged!
    It sounds to me as though you have made some really positive changes in your life. Keep doing those things (i.e. eating at a moderate deficit, don't drop too low, and doing some regular exercise) and the scales will catch up.
    Most importantly - be kind to yourself. Your body has done an incredible thing to create a whole new human being and there will still be all kinds of hormones running riot in your body, especially if you are still breastfeeding.
  • victoriadw84
    victoriadw84 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    If you would like to add me I can check out your food and exercise diary and we can chat through msging if you would like. Congratulations on your weight loss! I am currenty 247 and have a long way to go lol. 30lbs is an amazing loss.
  • GrammyJohns
    GrammyJohns Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty impressed that you've lost 35 pounds! That's a big awesome in my book!

Remember that your weight will plateau for a while. Stay on course.

Have your doctor check your thyroid to see if it's functioning properly. Seems like a lot of people are have thyroid trouble these days. Also, can you check your blood sugar levels to be sure they are in range?
  • victoriadw84
    victoriadw84 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Don't feel discouraged!
    It sounds to me as though you have made some really positive changes in your life. Keep doing those things (i.e. eating at a moderate deficit, don't drop too low, and doing some regular exercise) and the scales will catch up.
    Most importantly - be kind to yourself. Your body has done an incredible thing to create a whole new human being and there will still be all kinds of hormones running riot in your body, especially if you are still breastfeeding.

So true! Love it! Moms dont give themselves enough credit with the changes and stress the body goes under when creating and delivering a new life! I am terrified to have children and I idolize my mom, sister and any lady who can go through that process, takes amazing strength and courage!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    34 pounds since May is really excellent.

First, it could just be a pause. If you've upped your exercise you may be putting on some muscle.

Second, if you're still nursing, this is about the time when your little one's feeding may be changing.

Third, look to see what you're eating. Not junk, but maybe shift towards 40% carbs and things with a lower glycemic index? If you've always been heavy that may well help you a little.

Fourth, I've seen a number of studies that say plateaus at around 4-5 months are typically caused by slacking off a bit - measuring a bit accurately, failing to log, etc. Only you would know if that's true of you.

And finally, you really are doing well. I don't know that you're doing anything wrong. Keep on going - it will happen.
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    34 pounds is awesome. Please don't give up. If the scale is not budging - measure yourself. You will most likely find that you are losing inches. So try that. Also switch up your exercise. My body has gotten used to the walks so I am trying to incorporate strength training and other cardiovascular exercise.

You are doing great.
  • Paullei
    Options
    First, congrats on the weight you've lost, but remember it's not just about the scale. Have you been taking your measurements on a regular basis? If not, start doing so now! Sometimes the scales don't reflect the truth of what is happening to our bodies.

Next, are you being truthful with your food diary or are you slipping in a few more calories because you failed to weigh, measure and track.

Also, you just had a baby and your body has some adjustments to make. Give it time, even if the scale doesn't move, continue to make better health choices and eventually (if your being honest with your calorie intake) the scale will reflect your dedication.

If however, you are honestly tracking your calorie intake and are withing the limits but aren't seeing the tape measure or scale reflect a decrease, I would suggest a visit to the doctor to rule out medical conditions.

I had lost quite a bit of weight in 2010 then hit a slump and got discouraged. Instead of staying the course, I caved in and went right back to bad habits. If I had stayed the course the scale would have continued to go down instead of up. Now I'm heavier than I ever have been, but I can do this and so can you!
  • JamieLee1013
    Options
    I want to congratulate you on the weight you already lost before I add my two cents... So GREAT job! Remember that our bodies get used to what we do if it's not changed up enough, so maybe it's that your body thinks the walking is just a part of the normal routine. I've found that changing things up (i.e. that idea of muscle confusion they talk about on P90X) really works. I was in a plateau for a long time. But I realized that if I changed up my workouts (i.e. intensity, type, time of day even) and varied the things that I ate (even if I ate the same number of calories) I started to see results again. Also weight bearing exercises or strength-training are the best for increasing your metabolism and burning fat. But be kind to yourself too. You've already done great! Just some suggestions to consider. I don't have any children so I can only imagine how hard it must be for you to juggle a newborn and trying to lose the weight. BUT don't give up. You're doing it already!
  • deejaycee114
    deejaycee114 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I started changing my lifestyle after my son was born in May. I weighed 265 then. I've been battling the weight loss ever since and it doesn't seem to be coming off. (I've always been overweight.) I've fought every step for the 33-35 pounds I've lost so far, but I feel like it's all stopped. I walk at least 4 days a week, 20-30 minuets, and have started to incorperate some jogging too. I started doing a little pilates again as well. For the past three weeks, my scale hasn't budged. Three weeks ago I changed my caloric intake from 1530 to 1290, thinking it would help me lose weight. Not the case. I increased it to 1450, the amount MFP says I should eat to lose 1.5 pounds a week. I don't go over very often, and don't splurge on junk very often either. I must be doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what.

First, let me congratulate you on the 34 lbs you've lost!! That's amazing! :) And congrats on your new baby! Yet, another amazing accomplishment! :)

Please don't get discouraged over not seeing the number on the scale budge, because after all, it is just a number! Have you tried tracking inches? How do your clothes feel? How do YOU feel in your own skin?

I've only lost 2-3 lbs between May and today. Needless to say, I was frustrated that the scale wasn't moving! But I still felt my clothes were becoming a little looser. I didn't track inches, but I knew I was still losing something! ;)

Just keep at it and you'll break through your plateau soon enough! :)
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing fabulously! Everyone hits a plateau every now and again. Your greatest enemy is impatience. Try to stop looking at this as a race to lose weight, and start thinking about it as becoming just a little bit healthier each and every day. This is for the long haul. As long as you don't let yourself give up, you'll get there!
  • darciew2
    darciew2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    30 pounds is AMAZING!! If you haven't added weights to your cardio, that might help.....but most importantly don't give up, and don't drop your calories too low or you won't be able to stay on track.
  • Reneefit135
    Options
    You have accomplished a lot! It could just be that its time to add weights or change your work out some adjust your diet with different foods etc... but I know from hearing success stories for years that consistency is key even when things slow down or stop if you keep going and changing things up you will start to lose again. At least thats what i keep telling myself.
  • Amabuela
    Options
    Actually, you're doing fantastic! You seem to be averaging 8-10 pounds a month, depending on exactly when you started. The plateau thing, while frustrating, is very normal. If I were to recommend anything it would be to up the exercise time, and also change things up a bit. Instead of just walking, alternate with a little jogging every 5 minutes or so. Or try bicycling, ellipticals, stair climbing, etc. As for your diet, remember that it's not just calories, but also the type of food you eat. Both sugar and salt make you retain water. So do simple carbohydrates. Focus on "clean" foods - veggies, fruit, high fiber carbs, lean meats. But just look how far you've come! You're a rock star!
  • durhamity
    durhamity Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this is a repeat suggestion as I do not have time to read what everyone else has said, but how is your water intake. Weight loss for me is a lot harder when I'm not drinking enough water AND being consistent with the amount I drink on a daily basis. Hope it helps and Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • tjlightbulb
    Options
    keep going! 30lbs is GREAT you should be really proud!!
  • chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You are doing great. Try adding some weigh training into your routine and I bet you see some changes.

Also, in terms of calories, check this out http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12.

Congrats on your loss!
  • callunaailish
    Options
    34 pounds is awesome. Please don't give up. If the scale is not budging - measure yourself. You will most likely find that you are losing inches. So try that. Also switch up your exercise. My body has gotten used to the walks so I am trying to incorporate strength training and other cardiovascular exercise.

You are doing great.

Switching exercises is really important. Your muscles adapt and grow, which is what you want, but then you need to find something else to challenge them. I plateaued very quickly doing just walking, so I feel your pain. Try adding some weights or yoga, or of you can get to a gym, some heavy cardio like biking or elliptical.

Also, the progress you've made since may is huge - celebrate it and allow your body a week or two to enjoy what you have done so far. You are doing great!
  • vivavienna
    Options
    Just hang in there! The fact that you've been tracking your progress using this tool puts you in the percent of people most likely to make their weight losses permanent. Awesome!

My weight loss is primarily due to decreasing the amount of fat and oils in what I eat. It's shocking how much fat and oil I used to have in my food. It's something that is easy to forget to track but, sadly, adds up fast. It took a while to get used to eating foods without added fat, but I can tell you I don't miss it now.

Let me add something else that I recently read. If you find yourself wanting to throw in the towel because the temptation to eat something is great, think about this example: a woman who had lost a bunch of weight said that she tells herself all the time, "Have it next year. This is America. They will still be making (fill in the blank for what you are thinking about eating) next year." And congratulate yourself on postponing something to a day when you won't want it anyway.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with everyone. I have been here since May and I have lost 25 pounds and I thought THAT was great! You are doing fabulously!

You could try bringing your carb intake down a little. That helps me. Just keep on....things will even out. :)