I need reassurance asap!

Options
Hello everybody, My name is Ariana.
I am a sophomore at college and I am currently changing my lifestyle for the better. I am now 180 pounds and this is my 3rd week of diet and excercise. When I first started exercising I was at 188 lbs but I'm pretty sure i lost all water weight since I haven't noticed a change in my body. But I eat 5-6 small meals/snacks a day and I run/walk on the treadmill for an hour and then do only like 5-10 minutes of weights everyday. I am only getting around 700-900 calories a day and burning around 600-700 calories daily just with exercise and I burn around 1500 just from living. My question to you is, am i eating too few calories? Even if I am, will i still lose weight? I want to get down to 160 by the middle of october. Any advice is very much appreciated! Thank you!!

This is what one of my daily eating patterns looks like:
Egg white omelet with spinach tomato and feta cheese @9:30 am
Carrots and edamame hummus @12:00
Apple with peanut butter @3:00
Chobani yogurt with california sun dried raisins @5:30
Small Garden Salad with grilled chicken and Lite Red Wine Vinneagrette @7:30
(then usually some fruit like watermelon or pineapple around 9 if I am hungry)

Replies

• pixelsurgeon88
    pixelsurgeon88 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hey

Eating under 1200 calories a day can send your body into starvation mode. What your eating looks healthy enough and looks like you are on the right track.

When you joined MFP how much calories a day did it set you at?
  • ar1ms
    ar1ms Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    i know i keep reading about starvation mode online and its freaking me out because i don't want that to happen but its hard to even eat what i do at college! MFP wants me to eat 1350 cals a day
  • chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to eat more. Check this out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

In all likelihood with how little you have been eating, you will gain weight at first. BUT if you stick it out (a few weeks at most, depends on how long you have been eating so little), you will quickly see that weight and more come off. You are definitely not fueling your body enough to see positive changes. Hope that helps.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Your body composition will suffer.
    You will lose muscle and still look flabby at a lower weight.
    Feed your body girl!

<---- I eat 2,000 calories a day to lose weight and am a junior in college
  • Amabuela
    Options
    You're not eating enough calories. Isn't that what you always wanted to hear? At least 1200 per day. And if you're exercising that much you can add up to MFP's suggested 1350 easily. You'll notice a change in the way your clothes fit around 10-12 pounds. You're eating healthy - just add more nutritious calories.
  • pixelsurgeon88
    Options
    1350 calories sound better! lol

I am eating 1200 calories a day and also exercising 6 days a week (2 weights 4 cardio sessions) and the weight is dropping off nicely. I have lost 4.5kgs in the last 5 weeks. Which my nutritionist said was more than he would like because when you lose weight slowly you have a better chance of keeping it off.

Your goal of losing 9kgs in under 6-7 weeks seems to be really unrealistic as you would need to lose 2kg a week.

Just keep up the cardio at the gym and don't forget weights because thats what starts to make you body look awesome.

Perhaps you could try protein shakes as the keep you fill and they are easy to make....they even come in bars so you can keep on in your handbag.
  • ar1ms
    Options
    OK thank you so much everyone but this is what i don't get..
    All i hear is that to lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you take in. So i am taking in around 800 calories and burning off the calories i eat... so i don't get it. If i eat 1200 calories and only burn 700 a day.. how will i lose weight?
  • pixelsurgeon88
    Options
    Yes, just don't starve yourself anymore.

Remember to up your weights and change your cardio workouts every two weeks or when it get too easy. You body always need change in order too change...

add me if you want some support along the way hun!
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Your body needs a certain amount of calories to maintain your weight.
    Mine is 2500
    so I eat 2000 to lose 1 pound per week

Your maintenance is not 800-1200
  • Culley34
    Options
    You continually burn calories throughout the day, not just when you're on a treadmill. You need more than 900 calories. 1400 should be your target.
  • pixelsurgeon88
    Options
    Also you burn calories by living everyday....walking to your car...brushing your teeth...digesting your food etc...

Its not about how much calories you eat vs how much calories you burn from working out.
  • ar1ms
    Options
    did i set myself back from eating to few of calories?
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    What a lot of people don't understand when signing up is that the suggested MFP net calorie goal is what you net AFTER working out. Are you doing any exercises? Have you found out what your standard calorie intake level is just to live and breathe?

For example, mine is 1586 just to go about my daily activities WITHOUT exercising. However, I am trying to lose weight, not maintain. So on the very rare days that I don't work out, I meet my net calorie goal of 1,200. However, those calories are filled with high-nutrient stuff from the P90x and/or Insanity nutrition plans. I also take a few supplements, including liquid multi-vitamins, 100% whey protein, fiber, appetite suppressants, Omega 3s, etc.

Now, when I work out, I can hit anywhere from 750 to over 1100 calories burned in one day. On those days, I am eating way more than 1,200 because my body needs the fuel. There are days when I clock in at 2,000 calories of food eaten but I had a 1,137 calorie burn that day.

THEN....you have to know how much macro nutrients you need to be taking in daily. That's another issue that people don't understand and can play a HUGE role in your weight loss. For me, my carbs is set at 60% and fat/protein is at 20% each. Why? Because I am following the Level 3 Endurance Maximizer of P90x (sort of an athletic level). Carbs is where the body gets most of its energy fuel.

You have to start understanding how the types of foods you eat, the portion sizes, and exercising all play a part in your weight loss. It's so much more to it than just the calories, too. Think about your fat and sodium intake. How much fiber are you getting in? You don't have to answer all of this. These are simply things to ponder and start researching for your own understanding.

Just trying to help! :-)

Erica

PS Add me if you'd like. I'll never steer you wrong and always tell you what you need to know, not what you want to hear. My goal is to inspire and be inspired, motivate and be motivated.
  • Culley34
    Options
    No, you didn't set yourself back. Remember, you're only 3 weeks in... :-)

Also, there is no way that 8 lbs is just water weight. You'll feel the changes soon enough. Just remain patient.

Up your calories, keep eating healthy and don't eat after 8 PM. I know the 9 PM fruit is good for you, but you don't want the sugar in your system before going to bed.

I gained 25 lbs over 4 years in college.

Not sure if you drink or not, but go easy on the sauce if you do. You'll be able to pick out the girls that like to imbibe by their muffin tops and insistence on always wearing sweatpants...