NEWBIE, NEED LOTS OF STRENGTH AND FRIENDS!

Options
I don't know about the rest of you out there. But, I need lots of support! I have been counting calories for 5 days now, staying under 1200 a day. I have been drinking TONS of water, taking Alli pills with each meal, and I joined my local gym today, also picking up an Elliptical machine on Sunday for home. I do really good most of the time, but sometimes I get weak, and just want to splurg. I don't understand it though, my desire to be thin again is so strong I can't describe but then I just want to EATTT! It makes me SO mad! I was little my WHOLE life, then about 6 years ago, I packed our about 40 pounds in a matter of 6 months and found out that I had a liver disease. I have been struggling with weight ever since. I have 2 children, which I have had in the mean time. I really didn't gain much during my pregnancies, but didn't really lose any either. I was doing really well about a year ago, counted calories for a couple months and lost about 20 pounds, but I just QUIT one day, I don't know why I wasn't at my goal weight and I guess it wasn't even a consious decision, I realized about a month later, WOW. YOU JUST QUIT?! And Guess what??? The weight came RIGHT BACK and then added about 10 pounds! UGH! Well, this time I am not going to just QUIT, but I am really struggling to get going here. Any new friends, advice, awesome stories, motivation you can share with me would be great! (My hubby isn't the best at telling me these things, I guess that's what 13 years will do to you)

Replies

• cvtga
    cvtga Posts: 118
    Options
    Well I am here for you. I know what its like to have to start a diet again. I did this after I gave birth to my second son and lost all my baby weight plus and extra 23 pounds. Last year I just stopped and gained 28lbs, I couldn't believe it when I stepped on the scale. We bought and elliptical and I have been on it 5 days a week, since 1/4/10 and the results are showing. I takes support from the people around you and I'm sure you will find that level of support here. Welcome.
  • sumshine2010
    Options
    Hey NEWBIE....

I'm new too... only a week old or so. I've always gone up and down with my weight but what I have found motivates me is finding an old picture of me (not like highschool age) when I've been at my best. Everyones metabolism is totally different but you know how you've looked in the past and use that to inspire you. I've pulled pics out of magazines and wished I could look like Jenn Aniston but then realize, it's beter to be realistic and remember that I have done it before and I can and will do it again.
    If you watch the Biggest Loser then you know how the doc pulls them in and tells them what they're real age is.... I found a we-site that does the same thing for free. My real age is 38 but internally I'm 42. It doesn't sound like much but I don't want to be there yet. Maybe this would help as well. I think it's "realage.com," give it a try. But whatever you do..... DON'T GIVE UP, DON'T SPLURGE AND DON'T BEAT YOURSELF UP!
    I'm hear for you if you need someone to talk to!

~Summer
  • val12345678
    val12345678 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think it is funny to call us newbies. I am 50 years old and have lost 50 pounds twice in my life, and 20 pounds over and over and over again. I am about 90 pounds overweight now and plan on only 20. Thinking of 90 is just too much. But newbie I am not. I know all the tricks and will do it this time.
  • Carol123
    Carol123 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    well i am here too for you.....its not easy but be patient...all of a sudden the weight will start going down...
    i keep veggies cut in the refrig...and water water water... i do have a new drink its called skinny water it has a good flavor,
    with no calories, it comes in 5 flavors....
  • lisahiller
    Options
    Hey TR! I'm new here too-take it one day at a time and don't beat yourself up if you slip a little. I don't have as much to lose, but those last 5 are truly the hardest! Let's keep each other motivated!

561413.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • fitladyfawkes
    fitladyfawkes Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hey Girl!!! Welcome, welcome! I know where you are coming from, but just keep at it. Even after crappy splurge days, its okay, everyday is a new day. Dont beat yourself up! Stress does not help with the weight loss. I am totally here for you! I actually am just barely coming back from almost a whole year break. We are stronger when we have support, so lets do this! :D

Heidi
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    I think the reason your body is telling to to eat is because you really should!

If you eat less than 1200 calories a day, your body goes into "starvation mode". This is when your body stores the food you eat instead of converting it to energy because it thinks its protecting you since you are scarce of food. Especially since you're working out, you *really* need to be eating more!
    Use the tools on here to figure out what amount of calories you should be eating - you might be a little shell shocked at how much you should be eating, but it will help! Also, make sure you eat those calories you burn off after exercising, or else you're just putting yourself back into that starvation mode.

I myself am allotten 1450 calories a day and I try to reach it - I'm usually a *little* under (like, less than 150). But I *always* make sure I'm above 1200 calories.

Good luck! This is an amazing community!
  • aurablue
    Options
    I honestly don't know when I gained my extra 30 right around when I got married, bad wife :).Anyway I did really well with both of my pregnancy's but somewehere in the passed 2 years gained an extra 5. I am tired of saying I'm going to lose 30 pounds and doing nothing about it. I figure I have wased time doing things that have less benefit so i might as well take the time to do something beneficial. I'm keeping the mind set that this is NOT a diet, I am not depriving myself I am just making better choices. My food can still taste good and I can still have what I want, I just can't eat massive amounts.Now I have to "pay" myself back for eating not so great things by working out extra. If you want to go on vacation you have to budget for it, if you want a new pair of shoes, most of us have to save for that too, same thing. Do I want a burger bad enough to eat very little else that day and workout for an extra 45 minutes? Usually not so I don't do it, but I always have the choice. I absolutely will not let myself slide on the ramifications either. I eat the bad thing, I go work it off. It takes all of the guilt away, which let's face it makes us eat more.

My other trick is to think about all of the other benefits, other then just weight. My sleep has been better then ever, my mood is improved and I finally am not so tired by 11:30 that I need a nap. even if I lose no more weight, which isn't possible, I will continue just because I feel like a human again.

Fell free to add me, I'm new to, but almost four weeks in and I am thrilled with the results.