gaining weight

Options
hi guys i need some advise regarding eating,i stick to 1200 cal diet but some days if i exceed say by 500-700 cals i start gaing my weight again,come on just by eating for 1 bloody day.help me out on this plsssssssssssssss

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    You're likely eating high sodium foods and your body is retaining water because of it. Or you knew you were eating high sodium food so you drank a ton of water to compensate and you haven't flushed it yet. Remember that two cups of water in your gut can add a pound on the scale. Are you gaining weight or fat? No. Do you weigh more at the moment? Yes.

You'd need to eat about 3500 calories OVER your TDEE (not your calorie goal) to gain even one true pound. So unless you ate about 5500 calories, you didn't actually gain even one "real" pound.

Some bodies just hold onto it easier/longer. For example, I had Asian food last night. I wear a BodyMedia Fit and based on all the data, I ate about 4 calories more than I burned yesterday. But this morning I was four pounds heavier than yesterday. I didn't really gain that weight back. I had a crap ton of sodium, drank a ton of water knowing I was eating it, ate three hours later than usual (meaning my body had three fewer hours to digest it before I weighed), and I also didn't have a "full" bathroom visit pre-scale (if you know what I mean). So, knowing my body, eating right and drinking plenty of water, I'll be down probably about half of it by tomorrow and then the rest will be gone before the weekend. Then I can be back on track with losing again.

So just ride it out and you'll be fine. You're not really gaining weight from 600 calories. :)
  • tjlightbulb
    Options
    are you eating the 1200 or below?
  • zechks
    zechks Posts: 224
    Options
    Nahh.. eat some more.. ;)
  • metallicalover777
    Options
    You're likely eating high sodium foods and your body is retaining water because of it. Or you knew you were eating high sodium food so you drank a ton of water to compensate and you haven't flushed it yet. Remember that two cups of water in your gut can add a pound on the scale. Are you gaining weight or fat? No. Do you weigh more at the moment? Yes.

You'd need to eat about 3500 calories OVER your TDEE (not your calorie goal) to gain even one true pound. So unless you ate about 5500 calories, you didn't actually gain even one "real" pound.

Some bodies just hold onto it easier/longer. For example, I had Asian food last night. I wear a BodyMedia Fit and based on all the data, I ate about 4 calories more than I burned yesterday. But this morning I was four pounds heavier than yesterday. I didn't really gain that weight back. I had a crap ton of sodium, drank a ton of water knowing I was eating it, ate three hours later than usual (meaning my body had three fewer hours to digest it before I weighed), and I also didn't have a "full" bathroom visit pre-scale (if you know what I mean). So, knowing my body, eating right and drinking plenty of water, I'll be down probably about half of it by tomorrow and then the rest will be gone before the weekend. Then I can be back on track with losing again.

So just ride it out and you'll be fine. You're not really gaining weight from 600 calories. :)
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Wow wolf...I absolutely lllooooooooove your explination! :love: "Crap ton" is an expression that I have truly never heard of. :laugh: Truly you didn't spout a bunch of technical mumbo jumbo, you put it into words easily understood. I enjoyed it so much that I had to comment.
    Take care!:smile:
  • metallicalover777
    Options
    thx makes sense,cos after eating i drink around 1.5-2 liters of water,i think i should concentrate on my weekly goal rather than weighing my self every freaking day and getting discouraged.the weekly goals so far are achievable.thx for replying.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    thx makes sense,cos after eating i drink around 1.5-2 liters of water,i think i should concentrate on my weekly goal rather than weighing my self every freaking day and getting discouraged.the weekly goals so far are achievable.thx for replying.

YEP. This is why I only weigh once a week.
  • metallicalover777
    Options
    will do the same...thx
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I would say that if you want to lose weight and keep it off, don't exceed by 500-700.. and it's good that you have changed your mind about weighing yourself daily. It just doesn't make sense. I actually weigh myself weekly, however it is recommended that you weigh yourself monthly due to body fluctuations. Just stick to weekly and see how it works.
  • kmhenry84
    kmhenry84 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm going to make a fortune making a scale that will only allow you to weigh once a week.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    that happens to me too, so the next day I try to eat lean to get it back down and it works. if you ignore it and continue then you will just keep gaining weight. I gained 15 pounds on my 10 vacation and its harder to get it off if you dont take care of it right away
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale though: water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool, the same with other metrics. Take front, side, and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

Anyway I found what worked for me was separating out the two things:

Eat less to lose weight
    Exercise to maintain or build lean body mass
    end of story.

I found just ignoring all the complicated stuff everyone throws at us is the key. Day in and day out focus on two things. Eat less, move more, stay within calorie budget (either weekly or daily). You can eat low one day and high the next, whatever you want. Well, it did work for me. I am the fittest, leanest, strongest, and most muscular I've ever been in my life at age 51 and I'm healthy and don't get sick and have long endurance.

It's hard but you have to eat less to lose weight. Simple, but hard.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Yeah really try to stick to once a week weigh ins. I can fluctuate half a kilo one day to the next but after a week it evens out and I lose a bit.
  • Rinkermann
    Rinkermann Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    hi guys i need some advise regarding eating,i stick to 1200 cal diet but some days if i exceed say by 500-700 cals i start gaing my weight again,come on just by eating for 1 bloody day.help me out on this plsssssssssssssss

relax! you definitely haven't gained 1lb in a day with those numbers, it's just water. i find salt, sugar and weightlifting can cause me to hold a bit of water.
  • metallicalover777
    Options
    agree....
  • gendril
    Options
    Thank you for the explanations as they helped me right now. Haven't lost a pound in 2 weeks and no inches off either but am keeping at my plan with no days going over and training plenty.

It just haven't happen to me before.
  • Rinkermann
    Rinkermann Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the explanations as they helped me right now. Haven't lost a pound in 2 weeks and no inches off either but am keeping at my plan with no days going over and training plenty.

It just haven't happen to me before.

it happened to me for the first time a month ago. i got on the scales and had 'gained' 3lbs. i knew i'd done nothing wrong, but inevitably things like 'plateau', 'damaged metabolism' and 'starvation mode' start going through your head.

though i had stayed within my calories, i had eaten more sugar than i should have and had also started a tough weights routine. anyway, i needn't have worried. a week later i was 5lbs lighter: 3lbs water weight, plus the usual 2lbs i would've expected to lose.

i have found, as i suspect most people on here do, that scales really aren't that great for hour-to-hour or even day-to-day measurements. they're more of a long term measurement.
  • AmandaInGA
    AmandaInGA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    really sounds like water retention. did you start exercising recently? because that happened to me. wait it out and try not to stress... stress will make you fat... :)
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm going to make a fortune making a scale that will only allow you to weigh once a week.

Do it! I would buy it. I am obsessed with the stupid thing and wish I could only weigh myself once a week.
  • careyannal
    Options

BRILLIANT! :flowerforyou: