Fat girl mindset.

Options
My issue is, after a 50 pound loss I still view food the way that I did when I was a big girl. I feel like food has some sort of power over me. I have always been a fat girl so changing my mindset to a normal healthy skinny girl feels impossible! Can anyone who has been through this give me some advice on how to change my mindset? The mindset of binge, hating myself, eating good, and repeat. I have been doing this for two years now. Everyone tells me “I’m so skinny now” but I don’t see it. I see that I am smaller but I still see a fat stomach and big thighs. Most importantly I have trouble viewing food differently!! I have never been able to starve myself but some days I just wish I could! It feels like an addiction (as dumb as that sounds). I want to end this cycle and feel normal when it comes to food and self image. My main goal is to be healthy, fit, and happy! But with food having so much power over me it is so hard to reach those goals! Help me please! Anyone who has advice on overcoming this issue please let me hear it. Thank you for your time. :)

-Britt

Replies

• lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    You have to learn to change your relationship with food, then you wont look at it as a diet or a way of depriving yourself. Idk how you eat, but sometimes when your dont change your diet to healthy whole foods as much as possible with the occasional treats here and there, your body will always crave those things. When i eliminated the bad things from my lifestyle, i knew i was doing it because i wanted to be healthy, not just to lose weight. In the past this was never the case, i did anything to lose weight and i see what damage it did. I cut all the crap out, started cooking and making awesome meals with whole foods and realized my plate was double the size for the same amount of cals as convenience foods. And the best part about it was my cravings went away. My body started craving the good nutritious foods and i wasnt fight hunger all the time. I eat 5 to 6 times a day and feel great! Food is fuel and not saying you cant indulge every once in awhile, but it needs to be a treat, not the norm. Alot of people with food addictions can't keep certain foods in there diet because they dont get over the addiction.

Not saying this is you, but it could be, i dont know your whole story but i found in my struggles with trying to lose that was a big part of the problem. You kinda retrain your brain. In regards to still feeling fat, i think it takes time for your brain to catch up with your new body, especially if u were heavy a long time. I am finally starting to be grateful for the compliments i get, because after hearing so many i actually took a long hard look in the mirror and see how far i have actually come so far.

Give yourself time and keep working on loving you, i've learned its the most important thing on this journey. You are worth being the little hottie you are and you are a strong person for accomplishing your goals and proving that you are not weak. Its all about learning to love you and realizing how great you really are. Keep working at it :)

If you need some support friend me, i am here for all my mfp friends, this journey has been so great with all the support i get from my buddies on here :)

Keep your head up and start working on the inside, already accomplished the outside, congrats!
  • thinjustfabulous
    thinjustfabulous Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem until last week,
    my doc said we shouldn't make enemy with any food.
    EAT the stuff you craved for, just don't eat all. a bite or two is enough to satisfy craving.
    Thus we wont' be like a ticking bomb, who'll binge on all those food you said No to.
    No binging, no hating, rite ? =)
    i hope this helps you too

Relax
  • KajsaRedman
    Options
    I think ritawang3001 has given a very good advice. I will try to do that too, but I know I have days when I fell like chocolate, and I don't want just a bite of a chocolate bar. I want the WHOLE damn bar!
    It's getting easier though, and the thinner I become, the less I want to eat the stuff that makes me put on weight.

My friend and I were discussing this body image and mindset thing only the other day. Our conclusion was, that whatever you were as a teenager stays with you forever. I was a chubby, shy teenager (with friends and never bullied) and no matter HOW thin I get, I ALWAYS see myself as fat. I can't shift it.
    DH on the other hand was a popular, fit sportsman in his teenage years. He has that view of himself now, even though he's hugely overweight. It must be nice to look in the mirror and feel good about yourself. He did get a surprise seeing photos of himself from our last holiday though. Now he's on a diet too.

Try to take a day at a time. If you binge one day because you craved a certain food, then make up for it the next day. Do those hard exercises that burns off all the extra calories, and keep on the healthy path.

Britt2Fitjrny - You've done so well. I can't believe the difference in your photos. Excellent job!
  • thatsingergirl
    thatsingergirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    For me, things get better when I make sure my blood sugar stays stable during the day. I feel in control of my appetite, and don't have those crazy cravings. Having protein in the morning, and making sure I eat mostly protein and veggies and fruits for carbs really helps. Personally, I can only have a small amount of any grain before it makes me crave more, so I have to always limit it and make sure I pair it with a protein. Alcohol always throws my blood sugar waaay off wack, too, so I try to limit it.
  • chrlslove7
    chrlslove7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice to offer you but I wanted to let you know I really feel for ya. To have worked as hard as you have, then to still feel bad, is very heartbreaking. I don't think it's "dumb" to see your relationship w/ food as an addiction. There are all kinds of resources on the internet about this, some I've even considered looking into. I think food can be just as powerful as other addictions and it should be taken seriously. I wish you the best of luck as you conquer this part of your life, as you did with your weight. :heart:
  • thatsingergirl
    thatsingergirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comment above, by the way! You look awesome... good work at getting where you are! It does take time to start to see yourself differently! But I totally understand about feeling addicted to food!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You should think of food as simply fuel that your body needs to function optimally. Also, people think eating "healthy" means completely cutting out as much fat and sugar as possible and living off of some lean protein source and veggies. No single macronutrient, whether it be fats or carbs makes you gain weight - it's eating beyond what you need to maintain present weight and not being active which does.

You do not have to give up some of your favorite foods at all. Get 80% of your goal's calories from whole foods such as lean meats, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, fruits, nutrient dense veggies such as potatoes, and grains such as oatmeal, if you like. The remaining 20% towards your calorie goal can be whatever you want - provided it doesn't take you too far over the calorie goal (100 over is acceptable). Lastly, meal frequency and timing has nothing to do with gaining or losing weight. You could eat all your daily calories in 8 hours and be fine. Likewise, if its late and you are under your goal by 250 calories, then eat before you go to bed.
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the kind words a support. It is so true that if you eat crap, you crave it. Once upon a time I was eating mostly veggies for every meal and I felt so great. I guess one treat meal turned into a few which made me feel helpless because my body just wanted crappy food after a few bad meals and bad choices. I need to get back to my old ways of cooking my meals and having veggies all the time. I guess it’s just been more difficult because I just moved out on my own into a place with roommates who eat junk 24/7! I’m talking McDonalds about 4 times a week! Luckily McD’s makes me sick so I’m never tempted to eat that crap with them. But the prepackaged/premade meals is what’s making it so hard for me because I work 7 days a week, so the last thing I want to do is come home from a long day at work and cook. But I realize that if I’m going to live a healthy life I need to stop making excuses and put in the work! No matter how tired I feel. Maybe once I start eating better my energy will rise so I won’t feel so wiped out at the end of the day. I WILL GET BACK ON MY GRIND! I really hope that one day I can feel normal about food and have a normal relationship with it. Until then… it’s time to do work! Thanks again everyone! :flowerforyou: