Healthy Superbowl Appetizer recipes

Options
pktbundy
pktbundy Posts: 21 Member
Lets hear them. No suggestions for vegetables and fat free dip please.....
I am looking for things that taste good but are still somewhat healthy alternatives to
buffalo wings and Chips and cheese queso.

Replies

• ers1012
    Options
    Instead of chicken wings, use chicken breasts cut into strips and grill them. Toss with your favorite wing sauce or season them before grilling with a saltless Cajun spice (recipe available upon request). It's hard to pass up the bleu cheese dressing though.

Pizzas made with whole wheat pitas cut in half around the circumference. One of our stores carries mini pitas about 3" inches in diameter...perfect. One of my favorites is topped with a little mozzarella cheese, bleu cheese, olive oil, walnuts, rosemary & cracked black pepper. Let your imagination run riot.

Roast a pork loin, slice thinly & make little sandwiches, maybe with the mini pitas. Serve with a little horseradish.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Here is an idea you will have to play with the recipe to get the calories down a little bit
    BLT Bites (Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes)

| 20 min prep |
    These are yummy. They taste just like a BLT sandwich without the bread.
    SERVES 20
    Ingredients
    20 cherry tomatoes
    1 lb bacon (cooked and crumbled)
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1/3 cup chopped green onion
    3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
    2 tablespoons fresh parsley (snipped or dried)
    Directions
    1Cut a thin slice off of each tomato top.
    2Scoop out the insides and drain upside-down on a paper towel.
    3In a small bowl combine all other ingredients.
    4Spoon the mixture into the tomatoes.
    5Chill and serve.

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 (48g)
    Recipe makes 20 servings
    Calories 133
    Calories from Fat 111 (83%)
    Amount Per Serving %DV
    Total Fat 12.4g 19%
    Saturated Fat 3.8g 19%
    Monounsaturated Fat 5.2g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 2.2g
    Trans Fat 0.0g
    Cholesterol 17mg 5%
    Sodium 243mg 10%
    Potassium 95mg 2%
    Total Carbohydrate 2.4g 0%
    Dietary Fiber 0.3g 1%
    Sugars 0.9g
    Protein 3.2g 6%
  • Marcy79
    Marcy79 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    We love to make mini-pizza on English muffins, you can set up a little assembly line w/ toppings and bake them 350 till cheese melts. You can use the low-fat, low-carb, high fiber English muffins without sacrificing any flavor!! My suggested toppings would be: skim mozzarella, pizza or pasta sauce, turkey peperoni, black olives, green bell peppers, onions, cooked ground turkey, pineapple, etc, etc
  • ginadboardman
    Options
    Mushroom caps- little bigger than normal.
    some laughing cow light cheese
    whole wheat bread crumbs
    green onion (chopped small)

mix cheese and green onion. Stuff each mushroom cap with mixture. Roll in bread crumbs and bake on nonstick pan for about 10 minutes at 350.. Very tasty and low cal but you need to make quite a few as they are small and shrink a bit.
  • leebee2001
    Options
    sounds great, I'm going shopping for my ingredients
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    www.hungrygirl.com everything is under 200 calories and very yummy ... i have the hungrygirl cookbook and LOVE IT .... good luck
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Check out www.eatbetteramerica.com - they have some great recipes. Their (cold) spinach/artichoke dip is one of my faves!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I plan on making a healthy version of the 7 layer dip. This is the standard recipe, with my substitutions:

1 can (16 ounces) refried beans (I'm using ground turkey instead- I hate beans, although they're very good for you!)

1 container (16 ounces) sour cream (Fat free sour cream)

1 package McCormick® Taco Seasoning Mix or 1 package McCormick® Taco Seasoning Mix 30% Less Sodium

2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese (Part skim shredded cheddar)

1 cup prepared guacamole

1 cup chopped tomatoes

1/2 cup sliced green onions

1/2 cup sliced black olives

Tortilla chips (Baked tortilla chips)

Of course there are many variations of this, but it's a good starting point! :flowerforyou:
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    This boiled dumpling recipe can be made with whatever fillings you like - all veggies, or a mix of veggies and lean meat. http://www.hungrynation.tv/wcfoodies/episode/WCF_20100125/how-to-make-chinese-dumplings-for-the-super-bowl-w-the-amateur-gourmet-vendrtv
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I plan on making a healthy version of the 7 layer dip. This is the standard recipe, with my substitutions:

1 can (16 ounces) refried beans (I'm using ground turkey instead- I hate beans, although they're very good for you!)

1 container (16 ounces) sour cream (Fat free sour cream)

1 package McCormick® Taco Seasoning Mix or 1 package McCormick® Taco Seasoning Mix 30% Less Sodium

2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese (Part skim shredded cheddar)

1 cup prepared guacamole

1 cup chopped tomatoes

1/2 cup sliced green onions

1/2 cup sliced black olives

Tortilla chips (Baked tortilla chips)

Of course there are many variations of this, but it's a good starting point! :flowerforyou:

FINALLY a 7 layer dip I will eat! I, too, hate beans.

I know you said not fat free dips, but I just found this one, and it's delicious. Plus you can play with it all you want! Here is how I made it (this time:laugh: )

Cream Cheese and pepper dip (it is in the database under this with "Lisa" tacked on the end)

1 each red, yellow, and orange bell peppers
    1 jalapeno (although DH thinks it needs more!)
    1 small can crushed black olives (about 3/4 cup)
    1 cup corn (used frozen corn that I had defrosted)
    ground cumin- to taste
    chili powder- to taste
    8 oz fat free cream cheese (can be swapped out for reduced fat or full fat, but it adds calories)
    3/4 cup reduced fat sour cream (can be swapped out also)

Dice the peppers. Add everything together and mix well. Makes 16 1/4 cup servings. Each serving has 71 calories!

I served it with Fritos Corn Chips (the chips had more calories than the dip:laugh: ), but other chips or veggies could be used. I'm not a big bell pepper fan, but I really like this one.

As far as a wing replacement, we do a few different things, depending on our desired end result (and how much time we have:bigsmile: ). 1) create a marinade of buffalo spices and vinegar and put BSCB in for a few hours, and grill or bake; 2) use the buffalo spices as a rub during the baking or grilling process; or 3) cut the BSCB into "nugget" sized pieces and do #1 or 2. If you prefer ranch dressing with your "wings," try the ranch flavored sour cream dip. It is thicker than the dressing, but has a LOT fewer calories with the same taste. I haven't tried it, but you may be able to make a similar blue cheese dip. (Do they make packets of blue cheese dressing seasoning like they do ranch? That would be the only hang up.)
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    As far as Blue Cheese replacements are concerned, Walden Farms makes a "calorie free" blue cheese dressing. It has trace amounts of calories, and before you freak out about what the heck is in calorie free blue cheese :huh: head to their website and checkout the ingredients- not bad! :smile:
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Check out Delish.com they have a whole section for Superbowl recipes.
  • kzuppelli360
    Options
    Just saw this in my local paper-sounds good!

Guilt-free Chicken Wing Dip

1 cup low-fat yogurt

1 8-ounce package light cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup Frank’s Red Hot sauce, or to taste

1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced

1 cup light mayonnaise

1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese

2 cups cooked, shredded skinless chicken

1 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir yogurt and hot sauce with softened cream cheese until thoroughly mixed. Stir in mayonnaise and blue cheese, then shredded chicken and celery. Spread in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and top with cheddar.

Bake for 30 minutes, until browned and bubbly. Serve hot with (baked) chips.
  • czar1978
    Options
    I think I'm going to try these; maybe with ground turkey instead of beef...

Barbecue Pizza Bites

Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)

Ingredients:
    1/2 pound ground round
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped carrot
    1/3 cup barbecue sauce
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Dash of black pepper
    4 (4-ounce) Italian pizza crusts (such as Boboli)
    1/4 cup (1 ounce) finely shredded provolone or part-skim mozzarella cheese
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Preparation:
    Preheat oven to 450°.

Cook beef, onion, and carrot in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain well; return meat mixture to pan. Stir in barbecue sauce, sugar, salt, and pepper; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.

Place pizza crusts on a baking sheet. Divide beef mixture evenly among crusts, and sprinkle with cheese. Bake pizzas at 450° for 12 minutes or until cheese melts. Sprinkle pizzas with cilantro. Cut each pizza into 4 wedges.

Nutritional Information (Per Serving)
    Calories: 78 (25% from fat); Fat: 2.2g (sat 0.9g, mono 0.8g, poly 0.3g); Protein: 5.2g; Carbohydrate: 9.2g; Fiber: 0.5g; Cholesterol: 10mg; Iron: 0.8mg; Sodium: 178mg; Calcium: 57mg
  • mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    We love to make mini-pizza on English muffins, you can set up a little assembly line w/ toppings and bake them 350 till cheese melts. You can use the low-fat, low-carb, high fiber English muffins without sacrificing any flavor!! My suggested toppings would be: skim mozzarella, pizza or pasta sauce, turkey peperoni, black olives, green bell peppers, onions, cooked ground turkey, pineapple, etc, etc

this sounds awesome! i think i'll try it for a snack soon.
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump!