Workout Clothes question....

Options
Stephendw9
Stephendw9 Posts: 88 Member
I'm in the process of starting an apparel company with some investors that focus on the workout/fitness apparel market.

Can I get some input on 2 questions...

1) What color clothes would you stay away from, for your gender?

2) What is the biggest problem you currently see with the apparel you wear while working out or playing sports?

Replies

• atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    1. no colors I would stay away from as far as exercising..

2. my only problem is sports bras that fit well and support and I mean I don't like them bouncing all over when I run lol
  • wallisjules
    Options
    I refuse to but tops with built in support elastic. It is usless as you need to wear a sports bra as well and this just makes it more uncomfortable. This is why I love Launa Jane Sports Wear here is Aus they don't put this stupid usless elastic in their tops.

I don't have an issue with any colour tops. bottoms are always black or grey.

hope this helps
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'd wear all colours too.
    Maybe the only colour I wouldn't wear is bright yellow since I probably wouldn't buy it.

I don't like how none of my work out clothes have pockets.. I have to put my iphone in my bra.
    Which is awkward.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    This a focus group? Wtf?? Ha ha
  • Ang_Quark
    Options
    I don't like how none of my work out clothes have pockets.. I have to put my iphone in my bra.
    Which is awkward.
    ^^^^^^^^^^ I have the worst time trying to figure out what to do with my phone when I go for a run.
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    yellow and pale colours since it doesn't flater my compection. Aoart from that, none.

It has to breave. I sweat a lot while working out and it does not help if teh clothes are not 'breathable"
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    apparently i look good in all colors...even yellow...somthing about my skintone allows yellow to look nice...i stick to blue, black, grey for my bottoms....

good fitting bras...i have been able to find them but they don't last more than 6 months for me.
  • fonitoni
    fonitoni Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'll wear any color.

I'm 5'9" and it hard to find tops that are long enough
  • HRHSKitten
    Options
    Any color but I prefer black and I really like the practicality of Lululemon clothes. There's always a pocket, the fabric is great, durable etc... but it's so expensive. Definately do away with the built in bras -tehy're useless and add a layer of fabric... and uncomfortable elastic.
  • Cherp18
    Cherp18 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    same.
    -> Long Tops
    -> Supportive Bra's
    -> Thin socks with seams on outside
  • Nickiii_123
    Nickiii_123 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    1.) I would wear any color.

2.) SEE THROUGH BOTTOMS! I don't know how many black sports/yoga pants I have gone through....and I have yet to find a pair that doesn't go all transparent when you bend over and show your underwear to the world. Yikes! And judging from my yoga class this is a common problem. If you could find a black fabric that doesn't go all see through when you move in it I would def. buy your clothes :)
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    1) I like black or dark colors, to hide the crazy sweat I get going on (when I run or box)
    2) pants that are LONG enough! (37" inseam). Clothes that have very MINIMAL bulk - I hate shirts with sleeves, don't like loose workout clothes. Gotta be moisture wicking too.
  • ambivalence11
    ambivalence11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't like a lot of the patterned tops they have out there, they are usually ugly. Solid colors, and I personally like blue, purple and green, and black bottoms. Also, neons aren't something I would ever buy.

I prefer pants and shorts with a fold down waist or a drawstring, those stay on MUCH better. If they could make tops that stay down I would buy one of each color. I hate fidgeting because my top is lifting up in weight or yoga class. And ditto about the fake bra's they build in to workout shirts, they do nothing for most of us.
  • herrhitman
    Options
    1) Pastels

2) Maybe it's not exactly what you're looking in to, but socks. In the US they only seem to make one size of socks to cover all men. My feet aren't super small (8 1/2) but the heel of the sock always ends up around my achilles. I have tried getting smaller socks like womens or boys socks, but then the ankle is too tight. When I was in Europe they sold a smaller sized sock, in addition to the larger one, that fit perfectly. So it would be cool if there were a company doing that in the US too. And since I play soccer, it would also be nice if there were soccer socks that had a smaller foot size but larger calf size for people like me.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    1) What color clothes would you stay away from, for your gender? light colored bottoms. i'm a sweater and after a GOOD workout i can look like i've peed myself when i wear light grey pants :laugh:

2) What is the biggest problem you currently see with the apparel you wear while working out or playing sports? - no problems because i wear true athletic wear. but before i found my brands what i really hated about some brands that called themselves athletic wear is that they weren't really. the materials were all wrong (no wicking or breathability), the fits were too loose, the tags were placed in itchy locations that were annoying.also a big one for me is lack of pockets in pants. it's so easy to put a small pocket in the back of some pants but very few people do it
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I hate built-in bras/support. As a busty woman, this just means that the top isn't going to fit me at all. Also, if you are busty, you need longer tops, since your breasts are taking up a ton of the fabric in the front.

I'll echo the sentiments on the pockets. I want somewhere secure to put my phone, keys, and bus pass.

I am not super picky about colors, but I wouldn't mind more bottoms in other darks besides grey and black. Also, I think drawstrongs/adjustable waists are a must have.

I also think sizing is pretty important. There is a lot missing in terms of activewear for people who wear about size 12-16. Some brands stop at around a US 12. Others start at around a 16. The missing measurements are something like: 40-44 bust, 32-36 waist and 42-46 hips. I think a lot of women are hanging out right around these measurements and feeling a little left out on the "hip" and "interesting" workout clothing.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    As far as colors go - and I realize this is subjective - but no ugly colors. Like brown, and NO orange. I don't need to look like a pumpkin. I like fun patterned tops and bright colors. I just bought a pair of black and green leopard print top and pant set. Super fun. I like them a little crazy since it's not normal day wear.
  • shoz147
    Options
    I would wear any colour clothing. I often find socks are a bit of a problem-they seen to shrink in the wash and therefore become useless, or they get holes in really quick, which is annoying as a runner!
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'd wear all colours too.
    Maybe the only colour I wouldn't wear is bright yellow since I probably wouldn't buy it.

Which is awkward.

Pockets with ZIPS would be good! I just kind of put my phone in a sock in my bra when I run outside, I have nowhere else to put it. It goes in the sock to protect it from sweat. I need the phone to track my run for me so I can't leave it at home and I don't trust myself to carry it. A normal pocket would have me wondering if it would bounce out and break as well.
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Honestly color annoys me, I'm far from a girly girl and find it hard to get a shirt or pants that dont have some pink or purple on them and I hate that