Eating Exercise Calories for Men? Does it hurt not to?

Options
Well I just started doing this calorie counting. I have 50 pounds to drop in 2 years, but I'm trying to lose it as soon as possible Healthily. So I get about 2350 calories a day to eat. (I'm 6 foot 2 and 270 pounds) and I also exercise a whole lot considering I'm in the Air Force ROTC for my college. I eat all my daily calories but I know I burn off quite a bit. I don't feel hungry or anything and I'm eating about 4 - 5 times a day as is to keep up with my calories. Anyone got any recommendations or information about that? I don't want my body to be in starvation mode so I'm not losing any weight, but I just don't know enough to make a better decision. BTW my Diary is public for anyone to look at.

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Well I just started doing this calorie counting. I have 50 pounds to drop in 2 years, but I'm trying to lose it as soon as possible Healthily. So I get about 2350 calories a day to eat. (I'm 6 foot 2 and 270 pounds) and I also exercise a whole lot considering I'm in the Air Force ROTC for my college. I eat all my daily calories but I know I burn off quite a bit. I don't feel hungry or anything and I'm eating about 4 - 5 times a day as is to keep up with my calories. Anyone got any recommendations or information about that? I don't want my body to be in starvation mode so I'm not losing any weight, but I just don't know enough to make a better decision. BTW my Diary is public for anyone to look at.
    So, do you want to drop weight or not? You start of saying that you want to lose weight, then you say you don't. Which one is it?
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options

im not a man! (duh).... but I tend to eat about half my exercise cals back... esp on bigger burn days 600-800 a day.. i want more food/fuel!!!!!!!
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating healthy food. No you don't want to put your body in starvation mode. It will tell you what it needs. If you're hungry , eat. Just make sure it is actually hungry. You'll get all kinds of people telling you to do one way or the other. Figure out what works best for you.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    eat your food. hunger is not really an accurate way to determine how many calories your body needs since hormones can affect your appetite.
  • Gallonman
    Gallonman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So, do you want to drop weight or not? You start of saying that you want to lose weight, then you say you don't. Which one is it?

That was poor wording on my part. I do want to lose weight. But I don't want to get to the point where my body is not letting me lose weight because it thinks it's in starvation mode. Or anything like that. I don't know how it works. That's what I'm trying to ask.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

That was poor wording on my part. I do want to lose weight. But I don't want to get to the point where my body is not letting me lose weight because it thinks it's in starvation mode. Or anything like that. I don't know how it works. That's what I'm trying to ask.
    You're consuming around 2300-2400 calories. I believe you stated that you're not losing any weight at them moment. I would slowly drop calories. Start off by dropping 25 grams of carbohydrates. Don't change anything else OR you can increase your caloric expenditure by adding cardio (or more of it).
  • Gallonman
    Gallonman Posts: 5 Member
    Options

You're consuming around 2300-2400 calories. I believe you stated that you're not losing any weight at them moment. I would slowly drop calories. Start off by dropping 25 grams of carbohydrates. Don't change anything else OR you can increase your caloric expenditure by adding cardio (or more of it).

It's not that I'm not losing weight at my current calorie intake. It's that I'm wondering if I'm eating 2350 calories a day, which is my normal amount of calories. I'm working out and burning off a ton of extra calories, will not eating those extra calories affect my body negatively? I want to make sure I'm losing weight. Currently the 2350 a day is so I lose 2 pounds a week with out exercise. So when I exercise and lose more calories but I don't eat those calories, does that affect me negatively? Or is it alright?