Really? Do I really need to count my eggs raw?

Options
So...I made eggs for breakfast, scrambled. Out of fun I looked at the calories of a raw egg vs. a scrambled egg form the database. Both are MFP's own settings and both are large eggs. Scrambled eggs were 101 cals for one egg while raw eggs were 74 cals. Do eggs really "gain" 30 calories when they are being scrambled? I made my eggs without anything, just threw them in the pan and added some salt, but no oil or anything. Should I log my eggs as raw? Because I really cannot see how they would be more calories scrambled -.-

Replies

• afgivens4
    Options
    I would count the raw egg value. IMO, the 101 comes in to play when you use oil to treat your skillet and so many people add milk to their egg to stretch it out and add fluffiness to scrambled eggs. I see it a lot in different recipies.
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    what bout boiled eggs? im eatin some now :)
  • IrishDaveRed
    IrishDaveRed Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I put milk and butter into my eggs to scramble them, maybe MFP does too.

If you don't add anything to the raw egg, just log it as a raw egg.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i log as raw.. in general this is a level of calorie counting annoyance i just cant think too much on :laugh:

my general theory is to just assume that i'm eating 10-20% more calories than i think i am. for instance some of those things in the database aren't so detailed on the sizes. i've seen eggs in store called large that are HUGE. i recently bought some (also labelled large) from another store that looked like a small. i still log each as the same calories although obviously they arent

so to make a long story shot, wouldnt worry about 30 calories here and there,
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    That's a random one, alright. I'm guessing the "scrambled" number is for use if you go to a diner or somewhere and order scrambled eggs and then enter that into your tracker. It's a guess-timation of what eggs scrambled in some sort of fat would be. If you're making your own eggs and can account for everything that goes into the pan, do that. Just eggs? -- Just 70 calories each. Add a little butter to the pan? -- Account for that butter. You're in control!
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    i log as raw.. in general this is a level of calorie counting annoyance i just cant think too much on :laugh:

my general theory is to just assume that i'm eating 10-20% more calories than i think i am. for instance some of those things in the database aren't so detailed on the sizes. i've seen eggs in store called large that are HUGE. i recently bought some (also labelled large) from another store that looked like a small. i still log each as the same calories although obviously they arent

so to make a long story shot, wouldnt worry about 30 calories here and there,

But 30 cals here and there can add up quick! What if you ate 3 scrambled eggs?? That is 90 cals!! I would also use Raw and then if I by chance add something to it, I account for that separately....
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    When I notice discrepancies like that I either log the ingredients individually or create a "recipe" of something I make the same way often and log a serving (or whatever) of that.
  • jmatthews75
    jmatthews75 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I would use the raw, but take the yolk's out. they are too much cholesterol. funny, I don't like buying the eggwhites at stores, I would rther just seperate them myself.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I would use the raw, but take the yolk's out. they are too much cholesterol. funny, I don't like buying the eggwhites at stores, I would rther just seperate them myself.

Its good for us!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7882850.stm

" He said: "The ingrained misconception linking egg consumption to high blood cholesterol and heart disease must be corrected.

"The amount of saturated fat in our diet exerts an effect on blood cholesterol that is several times greater than the relatively small amounts of dietary cholesterol.

"The UK public do not need to be limiting the number of eggs they eat - indeed they can be encouraged to include them in a healthy diet as they are one of nature's most nutritionally dense foods."" - British Heart Foundation
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I weigh my eggs. Chickens don't lay the same weight eggs every day. And, i always enter them as raw eggs
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies :)
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    I was having the same problem. I finally decided to do them raw then add anything extra I put in them to make it more correct. I did, however decide to do the egg whites for less cals and found a 2 egg white omlet which seemed to leave out any other ingredients. I get the whites, sometimes I add onion and green pepper and a half slice of cheese. the dogs get the yolk..(we eat breakfast together) lol
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    When I notice discrepancies like that I either log the ingredients individually or create a "recipe" of something I make the same way often and log a serving (or whatever) of that.

I make 'recipes' for just about anything I eat unless it's salad.