Vitamin D and Weight Loss – Recognizing the Connection

Options
Vitamin D is a well-known cancer preventative and overall health enhancer, but some researchers have even made a serious connection between vitamin D and weight loss. The University of Minnestoa study found that higher vitamin D levels coupled with a properly balanced diet helps people lose more weight than if simply utilizing a properly balanced diet. What this means is that one of many vitamin D benefits is the acceleration of fat loss, diet aside.

Vitamin D Benefits | Vitamin D and Weight Loss

The subjects were monitored for 11 weeks, and given 750 fewer calories than their estimated daily needs. They also had their fat distribution measured with DXA (bone densitometry) scans. On average, subjects had insufficient vitamin D levels, however, the authors found that baseline, or pre-diet, vitamin D levels ‘predicted weight loss in a linear relationship’. For every increase of 1 ng/mL in level of 25-hydroxycholecalciferol – the precursor form of vitamin D and an effective method to measuring vitamin D levels – participants lost nearly half of a pound (0.196 kg) more on their calorie-restricted diet.

Similarly, for each 1-ng/mL increase in the active form of vitamin D,1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol, individuals lost about 0.25lbs (0.107 kg) more. In addition, higher baseline vitamin D levels (both the precursor and active forms) predicted greater loss of abdominal fat, lending even greater reason to take advantage of the relationship between vitamin D and weight loss.

An interesting part of the study is weight loss occurred particularly around the abdomen, a sweet spot every overweight individual wants to target. Could the vitamin D and weight loss connection focus on fat loss on the stomach area specifically? Of course it can, but first you need to build up a proper nutritional platform to work from. Vitamin D and other essential nutrients can help speed up the process of weight loss, ward off cancer, and other deadly diseases, but food can not be replaced. Ensure that you are eating the correct foods, and be careful about deceptive labeling.

“Our results suggest the possibility that adding Vitamin D to a reduced-calorie diet will lead to increased weight loss in individuals with low Vitamin D levels,” said Researcher Shalamar Sibley, M.D., who headed the study.

These findings are yet one additional indicator that vitamin D can be used to treat various conditions, as well as promote weight loss. The majority of the U.S. is deficient in vitamin D, leading to a multitude of health problems such as increased risk of contracting a cold or flu, and even depression. Some individuals don’t yet recognize the benefits of vitamin D, but sharing the knowledge on the vitamin D and weight loss connection could ignite a thirst for more knowledge.

by Anthony Gucciardi

Replies

• sStephSs26
    sStephSs26 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    interesting post! I was notorious for tanning all year round up, but lately have been trying not to, with all the health concerns regarding UV exposure. Any recommendations on foods high in vitamin D?
  • Chuckempire
    Options
    I just take a supplement 10k IU vitamin D per day. It's a little gel cap and more then enough.
  • jeannie7775
    Options
    I found your post to be of interest to me. In January of this year I tested for vitamin D at 11 (should be between 30-100). My doctor put me on 3,000 iu per day. I tested again in August and was up to 32. In range, but not by much. She told me that some people have a tough time absorbing vitamin D. I lost 60 pounds back in 2007, and became lazy and gained it back over the past five years. I started my life style change again in the beginning of August 2012. I have lost about 10 pounds since. The weight certainly isn't coming off as fast as it did five years ago (granted, I'm older), but this article made me wonder if it has to do with my vitamin D deficiency? Food for thought!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    Where are you finding all these "studies". They are only as good as their study parameters. I think it's dangerous to suggest that taking 10K IU a day of Vitamin D is safe and can help weight loss. That is a very high dose, considering the recommendation is 1000 IU daily, Not 10,000!!

What is the study link? (Where did you find it.)

I don't think you are being very responsible in this post, especially in light of the fact that you have posted other questionable "supplement studies".
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Where are you finding all these "studies". They are only as good as their study parameters. I think it's dangerous to suggest that taking 10K IU a day of Vitamin D is safe and can help weight loss. That is a very high dose, considering the recommendation is 1000 IU daily, Not 10,000!!

Very old recommendations - my MD recommended 4,000 IUIs a day. Most MDs are now recommending well above the former 1,000 IUIs daily.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I don't think everyone who has a hard time losing weight should just take vitamin D supplements. You might not need them. Get tested properly and see if you have a deficiency, then take them.
  • sigma54
    sigma54 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't think everyone who has a hard time losing weight should just take vitamin D supplements. You might not need them. Get tested properly and see if you have a deficiency, then take them.

Defintely a good idea! However, here in Ontario, the government stopped paying for vitamin D tests. You can pay for them but my doctor has said that most people are deficient and taking a supplement is probably a good idea. I know that a few years back, when I had my blood checked, the only thing that showed up abnormal was the level of vitamin D despite the fact that it was the summer, and I eat a lot of dairy products that are supposed to have significant amounts of vitamin D.
  • Chuckempire
    Options
    I never suggested a dosage just what I take personally as a supplement. You would need to research to what dosage works best for your body type etc as with any supplement.

anyways here's the ink of what I found.

http://naturalsociety.com/vitamin-d-tied-to-weight-loss/
  • jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I take 2,000 IU's daily as directed by my doctor. I take it for low immune system. Vitamin D stimulates the cells that trigger to fight infection. He said that Vitamin C does little good to fight infection if you're low on Vitamin D. If you work indoors and don't get at least 15 mins of sunlight a day, then you're probably low.

This is not to say to tan or overbake in the sun, because UVA/UVB rays are damaging. (I'm an esthetician and obsessive about skin care!) 15 mins is all you need. :)
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I take 5k per day. I used to take 10k, but my last bloodwork, my serum levels were near 100, so I backed off a bit. Vitamin D3 RDA levels are ridiculously low of 400 iu.. I'd pretty much suggest everyone take 1-2k per day.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    VERY interesting. My health and weight went down a big slippery slope last year. I gained 80 lbs between January - May 2011. After I had gained 50 lbs by March and I began having severe medical problems, my doctor checked my vitamin D and it turned out that my result was only "4" (with 30-100 being the range). I took supplements for a few months and that helped get me up to 32. I haven't been tested since but I have continued to take about 1200 IU a day.
  • summergrl17
    summergrl17 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info...I need to go pick up my Vit D prescription - now I'll make it a priority. Its been about 2 weeks since I ran out.
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I just take a supplement 10k IU vitamin D per day. It's a little gel cap and more then enough.

10k is a dangerous amount of Vit D to be taking. I take it only under my doctors care and I have to get blood work done all the time to check my levels. For some reason I don't absorb it. But for someone with normal levels there is no need to take that much. More isn't better.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D can be linked to a myriad of health issues. Everything from low energy and depression to weight loss or gain. It truly is one of the essential components of a healthy body. There have been numerous studies done on the subject and shown many times that the majority of people who live away from the equator a ways are chronically low in vitamin D. My doc has me on 50k IU once a week to bring my levels up to an acceptable range. I can feel a significant difference when I take it as apposed to when I don't.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

10k is a dangerous amount of Vit D to be taking. I take it only under my doctors care and I have to get blood work done all the time to check my levels. For some reason I don't absorb it. But for someone with normal levels there is no need to take that much. More isn't better.

Here's a fascinating bit of info on excess vitamin D:
    Health Risks from Excessive Vitamin D
    Vitamin D toxicity can cause non-specific symptoms such as anorexia, weight loss, polyuria, and heart arrhythmias. More seriously, it can also raise blood levels of calcium which leads to vascular and tissue calcification, with subsequent damage to the heart, blood vessels, and kidneys [1]. The use of supplements of both calcium (1,000 mg/day) and vitamin D (400 IU) by postmenopausal women was associated with a 17% increase in the risk of kidney stones over 7 years in the Women's Health Initiative [65]. A serum 25(OH)D concentration consistently >500 nmol/L (>200 ng/mL) is considered to be potentially toxic [5].

Excessive sun exposure does not result in vitamin D toxicity because the sustained heat on the skin is thought to photodegrade previtamin D3 and vitamin D3 as it is formed [6]. In addition, thermal activation of previtamin D3 in the skin gives rise to various non-vitamin D forms that limit formation of vitamin D3 itself. Some vitamin D3 is also converted to nonactive forms [1]. Intakes of vitamin D from food that are high enough to cause toxicity are very unlikely. Toxicity is much more likely to occur from high intakes of dietary supplements containing vitamin D.

Long-term intakes above the UL increase the risk of adverse health effects [1] (Table 4). Most reports suggest a toxicity threshold for vitamin D of 10,000 to 40,000 IU/day and serum 25(OH)D levels of 500–600 nmol/L (200–240 ng/mL). While symptoms of toxicity are unlikely at daily intakes below 10,000 IU/day, the FNB pointed to emerging science from national survey data, observational studies, and clinical trials suggesting that even lower vitamin D intakes and serum 25(OH)D levels might have adverse health effects over time. The FNB concluded that serum 25(OH)D levels above approximately 125–150 nmol/L (50–60 ng/mL) should be avoided, as even lower serum levels (approximately 75–120 nmol/L or 30–48 ng/mL) are associated with increases in all-cause mortality, greater risk of cancer at some sites like the pancreas, greater risk of cardiovascular events, and more falls and fractures among the elderly. The FNB committee cited research which found that vitamin D intakes of 5,000 IU/day achieved serum 25(OH)D concentrations between 100–150 nmol/L (40–60 ng/mL), but no greater. Applying an uncertainty factor of 20% to this intake value gave a UL of 4,000 IU which the FNB applied to children aged 9 and older, with corresponding lower amounts for younger children.

You can read more here: http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-HealthProfessional/
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I wrote the wrong amount earlier. I checked and I've been taking 6,000 IU/daily of D3 and 1200mg of Calcium.

When my D was practically non-existent, my calcium was also very low and in addition my magnesium was also very low. (I don't know if Magnesium has any connection to Vit. D deficiency but those were the minerals I was severely lacking in when I was rapidly gaining weight.)

It's also interesting to me that an excess of Vit. D can cause a heart arrhythmia. Before I found out that I had all these mineral deficiencies, I was in the ER and found out that I suddenly had a heart arrhythmia that I'd never had before. I wonder if having incredibly low Vit. D can cause some of the same symptoms as those associated with too much Vit. D. Hmm.
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    BuMp

ps OP is Hot Hot HOT!
  • polishmehappy
    polishmehappy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My rheumatologist put me on 5000 IUs of vitamin D daily. Whether it makes a difference on my weight or not I do not know but it does make me feel less tired.
    I have fibromyalgia and my rheumatologist says that according to research people with FM are vitamin D deficient and have a hard time keeping it at optimal levels blah blah blah...
    I am bad about following doctor's orders... so I got a bottle of 1000 IU vitamin D on sale and thought "Hmm, this sounds like a lot, I think I will take this instead of 5000; heck it is only a 4000 difference..."
    Then I had my vitamin level checked last month... it was low, very low. No wonder I was tired all the time and feeling like ****. I work nights too so I don't get much sun light. I don't bake in the sun either, I hate that.
    I got lectured. I got poked with a needle again. Then lectured some more.
    Then I ate some crow with salt and pepper and started taking the 5000 IUs of vitamin D, as I should have done in first place.
    I can only hope that it might also help trim my waist down :) that would be a bonus :)
    Maybe it will be VANITY that will make me take my vitamin D religiously from now on :) hehehe
  • roguestates
    Options
    I'm not a fan of supplements or risking ODing on VitD considering it's fat soluble... soooo how long should I be outside for? :P
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of supplements or risking ODing on VitD considering it's fat soluble... soooo how long should I be outside for? :P
    depends where you are - if you're in Finland you can probably never get enough from sunlight.

I read that if you expose the skin for 2-4 hours around noon then cover it up you get the best effect. Too much sun of "low quality" degrades the effect of getting the benefit when the sun is high enough to provide the required UV intensity.