What are other people doing about their clothes

Options
Hi, thought I might ask others for their advice on clothes, as it is seriously now becoming an issue, and I don't want to spent a fortune as I am hoping that I am still in transition.

Like many people whose weight has yo-yo-ed over the years, I did have a number of items I had kept in smaller sizes, but now even they hang on me. I wear scrubs for work and thought extremely baggy I can get away with until I need to go to the loo and find the knot has disappeared in the gathered hem, but other things are now falling off when I stand up.

Do people buy clothes that are elasticated and go for a size too small, or buy a few cheap things from a supermarket

Jacqui

Replies

• Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I work at a thrift store so most of my clothes come from there. They're super cheap so it's alright if aI replace them over and over
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    One thing i learned along the way (i've lost 8st) wasthat when i drop a dress size to ditch all the bigger clothes. Sell them on ebay if theyre good, donate if theyre not. This way i have no choice but to either stay this lower size and to keep going and drop more or else i'll have to run around naked as i have no bigger clothes. As for buying new well i dont shop in stores i buy from ebay. You can pick things up really cheaply and its amazing how many new with tags clothes ive gotten for a fraction of the cost just because most people never try things on in the store. Afterwards i resell those and the funds buy yet the next size down:happy:
  • Just_Pam
    Just_Pam Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am there now too with my smaller size clothes becoming too big. I bought a few things and now feel like I am wearing the same thing everyday! I refuse to go buy a whole new wardrobe though so this is my life for the next 1-2 years lol
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    belts!
  • badgerbabs
    badgerbabs Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores, definitely, for me. I do find new with tags clothing fairly often, but I'm perfectly happy to have clothing that's pre-shrunk -- so I KNOW it's going to continue to fit -- and has the sizing washed out of it. After I dropped two sizes I did a major purge of my closet; it all went to the charity that runs the thrift store. Finally had to face up to the fact that I was never going to find the time to sell things on eBay, although if you can, more power to you! My standard rule for slacks/jeans these days is that if I can pull them off without pulling down the zipper, they're out of there. For tops, I need to get somebody else's opinion as to whether it's still wearable or just too darned big. Most importantly, have fun flinging the fat fashions!
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Yes, Ebay and thrift/consignment shops are your friends. Or, you might see if you have a local seamstress or tailor. You may be able to have your baggy clothing taken in a size for about the same price you'd pay for used items at a thrift shop. Also, frequent the clearance racks every time you go to any store. Even if you previously "never find anything in your size", you may just find out that your new size is readily available on clearance. I bought a pair of jeans the other day for $3. They are one size too small right now, but I'll be wearing them very, very soon. :bigsmile:
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores. When I finally couldn't keep any of my pants up, anymore, I went and bought four "new" pairs from the local Value Village. I ended up spending about $30. Also, I take anything still wearable back to them once it's too big for me. Generally, I wear stuff until it's toast, but lately I've collected some good stuff for the thrift stores.
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Buy a new item for your wardrobe every other week: a glam t-shirt, some nice shorts, a new skirt more glam t-shirts
    Buy cheaper items that look more expensive than they are, keep 1 larger outfit that you used to wear as a reminder of what you have accomplished
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Buy a new item for your wardrobe every other week: a glam t-shirt, some nice shorts, a new skirt more glam t-shirts
    Buy cheaper items that look more expensive than they are, keep 1 larger outfit that you used to wear as a reminder of what you have accomplished

That is a good idea. I wish I had kept the jeans I was wearing in my current profile pic. But, I didn't. I gave them away. Would have been nice to have one of those pictures of me wearing them and looking like you could fit another me in there alongside. Anyway, it's a good problem to have, you have to admit.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I sell my old clothes on Ebay and use the bit of cash I get from that to buy new things that fit. I also shop in local charity shops, got a really nice pair of trousers and a jumper the other day for £4.
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I take the clothes I liek and that are too big to taylor and have them shrinked. It costs about 10% of what you'd spend on new clothes. I will buy new when I get to my goal and maintain it for a while.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    someone mentioned ebay - i think thats an ace idea!
    Sell all your too big stuffs that you can ebay/car boot then you have the pennies to go get new :D and you can do it all over again when this lot doesnt fit. This way you get a little reward as you go too.
    x
  • GuineaMother
    GuineaMother Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'll admit I've occasionally put things in a hot tumble dryer to shrink them!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Goodwill is the answer to both, donate your old clothes and buy clothes that fit. You are helping a great cause and getting cheap clothes that are normally very good brands. Good luck, my wife and I have been doing this and it works well. I do not plan on buying new clothes until i am much closer to my goal.
  • jacquirich
    jacquirich Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks some great ideas, though belts aren't that helpful for us girlies as rarely does girl clothes have belt hoops