1 Pound Of Muscle vs. 1 Pound of Fat

Options
Hey Friends!

Recently, I've started weight-lifting and increasing my calories to help me lose weight and get in shape. Like most women, at first I was afraid of "bulking-up," but after doing some research and talking to several MFP members I've learned that's just not the case.

I have to admit it's been pretty hard to up my calorie intake after eating on average 1200 per day for nearly 3 years (and not losing weight), but I know that if I want to get ANYWHERE with my weight-loss I have to increase my intake while adding weight-training, but I must admit that little voice is still in the back of my mind telling me that I'm eating too much and that lifting weights will make me bulky...

But have no fear! I'm going to stick with it NO MATTER WHAT the scale has to say about it. I know that increasing my calories and adding weight-lifting will initially increase my weight, but I'm trying to re-program my thinking to care only about what the mirror says and not the scale.

So as a little confidence booster I decided to look up some pictures of fat. I figured I would share them with my MFP friends who might also get some enjoyment out of them :)

[img]http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i428/eKittyCouture/Blog Graphics/be4902c1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i428/eKittyCouture/Blog Graphics/8e42faac.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i428/eKittyCouture/Blog Graphics/ce29d435.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i428/eKittyCouture/Blog Graphics/9df7559d.jpg[/img]

Adding lean muscle, not starving yourself is the key to loosing fat.

Replies

• witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Great post, just shows the difference of having 10lbs of fat or 10lbs of muscle on your body will make.
  • Megdmcda
    Megdmcda Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    love the post.... the blobs of fat are a little disturbing lmao
  • saintsteffers
    saintsteffers Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What a great visual aid! Thanks!
  • patabcn
    patabcn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    thank you! I really liked this post
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    A brilliant post..being able to SEE is much better than just hearing it :smile:
  • 1sophiesophie
    1sophiesophie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Excellent post and great visuals. As a scale junkie, I need all the reminders I can get that it is about lean muscle mass and not the numbers on the scale.....ooh, it is difficult to ween yourself off though, especially when the numbers are moving in the "right" direction. I will be watching your progress with interest as I too am just starting to be convinced by the "eat more calories, lift heavy" argument - and am thinking of trying it....although it is tricky for me as I am also making good steady progress with my weight (averaging -1lb a week) and size just by sticking to the plain old "1200 cals and doing a bit of cardio".....hmm, all so confusing.

Good luck with your journey and discoveries. I hope you will continue to post so we can read about your progress?
  • coll05
    coll05 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Love this post...some of thoe pictures of fat are scary lol. I need to lose 2 of the 20lb sizes!! Amazing!!

Coll x
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Wowzers. Fab post, thanks. I'm trying to give up my scale addiction and looking at that makes you realise that at a certian point it becomes meaningless, meausrements all the way :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    is that a pound of fat, or a pound of human adipose tissue ? The difference looks bigger than I would expect from 0.9 vs 1.2 density for lard vs steak.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Anyone else now in the mood for some mashed swede and steak?
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I've recently been lifting heavier and eating more and obviously, being a complete scale-ho despite my advice to the contrary, panicked when the needle went in the wrong direction. But there's a noticeable different in my arms, and I just look healthier.

Thank you for the images too; certainly a very clear and concise way of looking at it.
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I've recently been lifting heavier and eating more and obviously, being a complete scale-ho despite my advice to the contrary, panicked when the needle went in the wrong direction. But there's a noticeable different in my arms, and I just look healthier.

Thank you for the images too; certainly a very clear and concise way of looking at it.

You're welcome lady!
  • yancymichele
    yancymichele Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    good visuals! they weigh the same but are soooo different
  • BluenoserChick
    BluenoserChick Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    bump
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    ugggh I need to lose another 20 pound block of fat LOL... at least I've lost one already :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

No doubt! But very motivating!
  • PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    Options

No doubt! But very motivating!

My thoughts exactly. :sick: