Energy drinks??

Options
So i quit the diet soda but now am drinking energy drinks the sugar free 20 calorie ones ofcourse....anybody know if these have a negative affect on the body?

Replies

• clesmooth
    clesmooth Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. I need, and I do mean need the blue Monster low carb energy drink to exercise. When I drink one of those, I enter the gym feeling like an animal. It also has the added benefits of having only 20 calories like you said. Until I read something about, I feel that it is the way to go. Because the is no way I can workout every day without it.
  • cc_campbell81
    Options
    From your description it sounds like you are drinking sugar free redbull. I used to drink one or two a day and after a while my body became dependent on them. When I quit I had headaches for a little while but they went away and I feel much better. I have tried to focus on eating lots of fruits and vegetables for a balanced diet that gives me energy. I still have a red bull sometimes, I think they are okay in moderation.
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    If it has guarana extract in it, I stay away. That stuff makes my heart race.
  • NewBeginning2010
    NewBeginning2010 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thats what im worried about im on phentermine an appetite supressent and iv already drinken 2 energy drinks today....
  • HorseFly
    HorseFly Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    There has been conflicting research on artificial sweeteners, but some studies do suggest that they actually prevent weight loss and may actually alter your metabolism. You have to make your own choices on what to believe or not believe.

I like to play it safe and just drink water. I do know 1 person who changed nothing in their diet but switched from diet soda to water and he lost a significant amount of weight.

For an alternative, you could look into B vitamins for the extra energy. Or even dilute a sugary energy drink to make it more low calorie.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I am not a big fan of energy drinks. This is mostly because they can be SO dehydrating. My favorite example was at a college Band Day. (A University invites marching bands to come and march in a parade, and then perform together at half time of their football game.) I was the director. It was a very warm day (80 degrees F, 80% or so humidity), and my kids were dressed in wool marching band uniforms (red and black, of course). At the end of the parade, there stood a representative from one of the university clubs handing out Red Bulls to all the students!:noway: It was only 11 or so in the morning, and we still had a 2 hour rehearsal (on a sunny, i.e. HOT, football field). I seriously wonder if the people handing them out were trying to keep the med staff at the stadium, because they sure managed to do that! Kids were dropping left and right from dehydration. Maybe one has nothing to do with the other. *shrug* But I have heard nothing positive about these drinks.

Back on topic, all the ones I've looked at had caffiene in them, and I am a recovering caffiene addict. Therefore, I stay far away.:wink: I have become leary of anything that gives a chemical "boost." I would recommend more research on them before you add them as a staple. Especially since you are on medication! Your pharmacist should be able to talk knowledgably with you about any interaction that may go on.