Can anybody explain this!!!!!

Options
I joined MFP at the end of January and its been fantastic in keeping me on track. I have lost consistantly...about a pound each week and am thrilled with the results......however I am now truly confused.

Three weeks ago I weighed in on Sat morning as per usual only to find that I had'nt lost an ounce. It was the first time that the scales hadnt moved and I hadnt done anything different at all. Excercise was the same, Food was good, maybe a little down on the calories I should have eaten so I was a little miffed but decided to ignore it as a blip and stay on track. The following week, again after no difference on the food or excercise I weighed in again, expecting to see maybe a couple of pounds lost ... a catch up from the previous week maybe.....but no! I had put on half a pound:angry: What was I doing wrong?

This last week I have had a good friend staying with me, she went back home to London a couple of days ago but while she was here she would'nt take no for an answer when i said I didnt want wine or a G&T when we went out. We also ate out quite a bit and as I was a little discouraged my will power went out of the window. So this morning I weighed in expecting the worst. I must have overeaten by at least 5000 cals for the week so I wasnt looking forward to the result.

What happened? I had lost a pound!!!!! So how does that work then?

Not that I'm complaining but I have to say for the first time in ages things are just not making any sense:noway:

Anyone have any ideas before I run off the rails completly .......:ohwell:

Replies

• burnett50
    burnett50 Posts: 46
    Options
    I joined MFP at the end of January and its been fantastic in keeping me on track. I have lost consistantly...about a pound each week and am thrilled with the results......however I am now truly confused.

Three weeks ago I weighed in on Sat morning as per usual only to find that I had'nt lost an ounce. It was the first time that the scales hadnt moved and I hadnt done anything different at all. Excercise was the same, Food was good, maybe a little down on the calories I should have eaten so I was a little miffed but decided to ignore it as a blip and stay on track. The following week, again after no difference on the food or excercise I weighed in again, expecting to see maybe a couple of pounds lost ... a catch up from the previous week maybe.....but no! I had put on half a pound:angry: What was I doing wrong?

This last week I have had a good friend staying with me, she went back home to London a couple of days ago but while she was here she would'nt take no for an answer when i said I didnt want wine or a G&T when we went out. We also ate out quite a bit and as I was a little discouraged my will power went out of the window. So this morning I weighed in expecting the worst. I must have overeaten by at least 5000 cals for the week so I wasnt looking forward to the result.

What happened? I had lost a pound!!!!! So how does that work then?

Not that I'm complaining but I have to say for the first time in ages things are just not making any sense:noway:

Anyone have any ideas before I run off the rails completly .......:ohwell:
  • valgreg38
    valgreg38 Posts: 17
    Options
    Ther are probably a few explainations for this, 1 you are in a rountine and eating and exercising the same, change it up, 2. too few calories can cause your body to go into starvation mode and start storing instead of losing 3. when you add a few calories and then drop your calories that will spike a weight loss, for instance if you go on a 1600 calorie a day for a week and then drop to 1400 you will see a drop, when you are always eating the same amount and exercise the same your body adjusts, so change it a bit , that works for me.
  • burnett50
    Options
    37922.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Thanks I'll try changing things a little this week, maybe up the cals for a couple of days then drop them again rather than just stick to the same day in day out.......Cheers:drinker:
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    There are tons of threads on here regarding this. try doing a search on plateau's and see what you find. Most people find that you have to change up your calories and exercise from time to time or your body gets used to what your doing and you stop losing weight. Very common.
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Ther are probably a few explainations for this, 1 you are in a rountine and eating and exercising the same, change it up, 2. too few calories can cause your body to go into starvation mode and start storing instead of losing 3. when you add a few calories and then drop your calories that will spike a weight loss, for instance if you go on a 1600 calorie a day for a week and then drop to 1400 you will see a drop, when you are always eating the same amount and exercise the same your body adjusts, so change it a bit , that works for me.

Exactly, you have a routine and you need to mix it up and keep your body guessing. I stopped losing when I kept doing the same elliptical routine but when I started to do step aerobics and cardio kickboxing, the pounds melted off!
  • turtle
    turtle Posts: 49
    Options
    I'm so glad you wrote that! I've been in a stuck spot myself and was hesitant to change my calories or workout routine since I only have 10 lbs to go and didn't want to sabotage anything
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    one word an evil evil mean horrible nasty word...plateau. Kick up the intesity and it will still take time. But it will go away I swear mine just kicked off again...
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Read the post on expectations. It's great.
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
  • burnett50
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback ....... should have known that Banks had the answer all along!:smile:
  • burnett50
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback ....... should have known that Banks had the answer all along!:smile:
  • burnett50
    Options
  • burnett50
    Options