Gaining Wait After Quitting Smoking... WHY?

Options
So I quit smoking 17 days ago. Not so much as a drag off a cigarette since. (Go me.) However, I have put on two pounds already. Legit pounds, pounds that aren't going away. (Definitely not water weight or sodium!) I haven't changed my eating habits (if anything, I'm eating less) and I am still highly active... about 2 hours of physical activity a day. What is going on?! Has anyone else been through this? I want to stay quit but I've worked so hard to lose all of this weight... seeing it creep back on makes me want to cry.

Replies

• AlphamaleBAMF
    Options
    If I had to hazard a guess. I'd say it's because smoking cigarettes fills your blood with carbon dioxide and raises your heart rate for 20-30 minutes after smoking, which could theoretically burn more calories. Maybe.

But the cumulative health benefits of quitting far far outweigh and benefits it would have for weight loss/maintenance.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people gain weight after smoking because they unknowingly begin eating more. If that's not the case and you've only put on 2 pounds, I wouldn't be too worried about it. It should come off pretty easily and imo quitting smoking is worth gaining 2 pounds any day.
  • tajour
    tajour Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I quit on September 1 and noticed within the first 24 hours that my heart rate monitor was recording a much lower heart rate for me during exercise. Like we're talking a 20 bpm difference. I had to ramp up my effort in order to burn the same amount of calories during my workouts! On the plus side, quitting also gave me what seemed like instant endurance to accomplish 25 minutes of straight jogging and I didn't feel like I was going to die afterward.

I'd watch your calorie intake carefully and make sure you are exerting yourself more during exercise. Two pounds isn't bad, and it's way better than smoking!

Keep the Quit!!
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I think you should wait longer than 17 days before correlating your weight gain to the fact that you have quit smoking. It could be water retention from your physical activity, assuming you have not (AT ALL) changed your eating habits.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    double post
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I know the weight isn't a big deal in comparison to not dying of lung cancer... but after spending two years losing 50 pounds, I knew tackling this monster was going to raise some issues for me. I'm not used to seeing the scale go UP. And to be fair, the first week, I might have consumed slightly more sugar than normal. Last week I was on point and this week I will be as well. I will take your advice and just starting putting more effort into the exercise (heart rate has definitely dropped) and keep going. :)
  • AOddie
    Options
    2lbs is not bad. I have been smoke free for only 3 weeks and have gained 7lbs hence why I am back on here with a new profile. This weight gain is not a mystery - I have been eating like there is no tomorrow and no exercise. I am happier I have not smoked than depressed that I have gained weight. However, time to concentrate on both things for me now........
  • mrsmcg97
    mrsmcg97 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 7 months ago and gained 20 pounds...thats why I am here. I am struggling and fighting to get this weight off and it wont seem to budge. The doctor told me to eat right and stay active because smoking raises your metabolism and he figured I would gain. I am just worried I wont be able to lose it.
  • WickedPixie1
    WickedPixie1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It's been 4.5 months for me, and the big thing I notice is how much more I can endure regarding exercise. I can finally breathe!!
    I can go longer and faster and I'm not fighting to draw my next breath, my sinuses and throat aren't clogged up with crap anymore either.
    One other added benefit is by being able to exercise more and better, all the crap seems to be expelling from my lungs at a good rate too.
    Persevere! Your body just needs time to adapt to the change. Quitting is a major shock to the system.
    Keep up the good work!!
  • jriv113
    Options
    Me too! I was doing really good on my weight loss journey I lost 20 pounds while still smoking. I was 5 pounds away from my goal weight. Since I quit, Ive gained 10 back =( Im so discouraged. Yes I have been eating like a crazy person so Im back too! I HAVE to lose 15 pounds but I just cant seem to get back on track =(
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am also 2 months smoke free. The metabolism slows when you quit. I had to get very strict in my eating to combat it. And drink even more water... yuck. Some days it feels like I am floating.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people gain weight after smoking because they unknowingly begin eating more. If that's not the case and you've only put on 2 pounds, I wouldn't be too worried about it. It should come off pretty easily and imo quitting smoking is worth gaining 2 pounds any day.

^^^ This

Congratulations on quitting! Those two pounds will come right back off soon enough. Quitting smoking is very hard, dropping a couple pounds, not so much.