Quinoa recipes

Options
HI all! I'm looking for some suggestions for quinoa recipes. Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks~Janice

Replies

• proudaunt
    Options
    bump
  • carriparton
    carriparton Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have fallen in love with Quinoa!!! I basically use it as a rice/ pasta substitute. Check out my blog, as I have quite a few quinoa recipes.

http://experimentinginthkitchen.blogspot.com/
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Me too! I had it at a restaurant and it was so good but I'm not sure how to cook it or what to cook with it.
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    Here are a couple of my favorites.

*Creamy Quinoa*
    Ingredients:
    1 cup quinoa
    Generous pinch of fine sea salt
    1 ½ cups water
    1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
    2 T. flaxseed meal
    4 t. honey
    1 t. vanilla extract 0r ½ t. almond extract
    1 cup fat-free milk
    8 t. chopped nuts/seeds (see options below)

Nut/Seed options: Spanish peanuts (good source of resveratrol), regular peanuts, walnuts, almonds, pecans, pistachios, cashews, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds

Directions:
    1) In a medium saucepan, combine quinoa, salt, and water. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 10 minutes (the quinoa should be tender, but it’s okay if it’s still a little wet)
    2) Uncover, stir in the evaporated milk, flaxseed meal, and 2 t. of the honey. Return to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the milk is mostly absorbed and the cereal is a thickness you like, 4 to 6 minutes.
    3) Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla or almond extract. Top each serving with ¼ cup milk, ½ t. of honey, and the 2 t. chopped nuts/seeds.
    **I prefer to drink the ¼ cup milk on the side. I also like to sprinkle a little cinnamon on top. Delicious!!!

Per ½ cup serving (makes 4 servings): 286 calories / 14g protein / 5.5g fat (0.5 saturated) / 4.5g fiber / 289mg calcium / 1mg vitamin C / 45g carbs / 154mg sodium

*Baked Grains Pilaf*
    1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
    1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
    1 small carrot, peeled and finely chopped
    3 stalks celery, leaves included, finely chopped
    ½ cup bell pepper, finely chopped
    ½ cup corn kernels
    ¾ cup millet, rinsed well
    ¾ cup quinoa, rinsed well
    3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
    1 tsp sea salt
    1) Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare casserole dish by coating lightly with olive oil
    2) Place remaining olive oil in a medium skillet and heat gently. Add onion, carrot, celery, pepper, and corn. Cook until onion is soft and translucent. Remove from heat.
    3) Place washed grains in prepared casserole dish. Add cooked vegetables and mix to combine. Add stock and salt. Cover casserole dish with a lid. Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes. Grains are cooked when all water has been absorbed. They will look slightly golden on the edges of the casserole dish.
    4) Remove from heat and serve warm with any meal.

7 Servings / 1 cup per serving (I usually have 1/2 a cup as a side)
    Prep time: 20 minutes
    Cook time: 40 minutes

Nutrition Value per Serving:
    Calories: 205 / Calories from Fat: 42 / Protein: 8g / Carbs: 34g / Sodium: 278mg / Fiber: 4g / Sugar: 2g
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I've tried all of these and they are quite good:

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/series/recipes_for_health/quinoa/
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have a few favs:

quinoa + tomato + cucumber + feta (or yogurt is I wnat something ligther) + black pepper + coriander leafs

quinoa + green lentils + tomato + onion + salat

qunoa + shrimp veracruzana
  • 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Bump...love quinoa
  • lisasch67
    lisasch67 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I made this the other day, it was a variation on a mexican salad I make, but I realized I was out of black beans... I think the quinoa sub was healthier than the beans, though.

1 cup cooked quinoa
    1.5 cups frozen corn, defrosted
    1 jalapeno, chopped and seeded
    approx. 1 - 1.5 cups of grape tomatoes halved or quartered
    1 avocado
    approx. 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
    1/2 med. red onion diced
    juice of 1/2 a fresh lime

Mix everything together in a bowl and enjoy as a side or main meal... I got about 3 very large servings out of this.
  • SteelersFan7
    SteelersFan7 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! These all look delicious and I can't wait to try them.
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a great breakfast cereal. Just cook it as per the directions, and stir in some cinnamon and raisin, and your preferred sweetener. YUM!
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Yum.. I've just learned about quinoa and look forward to trying these recipes.
  • proctor78
    Options
    bump
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Cheesy Quinoa bites

http://www.soveryblessed.com/2012/01/cheesy-quinoa-bites.html

I make a batch of these on weekends and use them for snacks during the week. good stuff.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    bump for later reading, Ive tried it a cpl times but cooking it is intimidating :S
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I can't cut and paste the link, but the Quinoa and Black Beans recipe on Allrecies.com is delicious!
  • LilacDaffodil
    LilacDaffodil Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    This is an excellent site - all sorts of quinoa recipes: http://www.cookingquinoa.net/
  • FORAPURPOSE
    FORAPURPOSE Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    THANKS FOR THE RECIPES.... i LOVE RICE BUT RICE DOES NOT LOVE ME..... LOL I can eat rice every day with anything I will try this... someone had told me about QUINOA but i never tried it but I will now thanks
  • phonypony
    Options
    I use it as a sub for bulghur wheat in tabouleh and have that in wholemeal pita pockets with salad and felafel. I use it as a sub for rice. Put in it soups and stews. Add it to homemade vegie patties. It's pretty versatile!!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Bump...thanks for all the new ideas everyone!:bigsmile:
  • sannsk
    sannsk Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    bump... I have a great recipe here somewehre... gonna look for it...

well, here it is...

Boil the quinoa in water ( 2 cups of water for 1 cup of Q) for 12 minutes approximately. The Q should have absorbed all of the water. If not, dont't worry. the Q will continue to swell a little bit further.

cut a hanfull of cherry tomatoes in half
    slice 2 spring onions
    If you like, slice a handfull of black olives
    from your garden, fresh basil leaves and chives, or parsley (whatever you like most). Cut them up.
    a little hand of pistacio nuts
    a little bit of garlic

add all of these ingredients with the quinoa, season with pepper and salt and ad one tablespoon of olive oil and one tbs of soy sauce.

bon appetit :)

Oh, this is also one of my favourites: quinoa mac & cheese :drinker: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/494075-quinoa-mac-and-cheese?hl=quinoa