Exercise with a busy schedule

Options
I have a very busy schedule. I work one normal 40 hour per week job M-F from 8:15-4:45, and then i also have a part time job Sun-Thursday 6-9 pm and Saturdays from 10-1. I don't have trouble exercising Friday-Sunday, but I'm having a hard time fitting in exercise during the week. Any suggestions for exercises or how to manage?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Get up 30 mins earlier and exercise then... With 30 day shred all you need is 30 minutes a day.
  • gailduncan
    gailduncan Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Cycle to work.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming getting up earlier, or to bed later isn't really an option.

In your place I'd go for, what I call, 'time free exercise'.
    - Walk up the stairs rather than taking the elevator.
    - Park at the far side of the parking lot.
    - If you need to wait for the bus don't stand still but walk in circles.
    - When you go get a coffee do a few squats or lunges while waiting for the machine.
    - Go to the toilets on the far side of the building, get your coffee there as well.
    - Walk over to your colleague rather than calling.
    - See if there's a group of lunch walkers at your company and join them. Might be good for networking as well.
    - Google some exercises you can do while sitting, especially good if you take a bus or train, but work throughout the day as well.
    - Do a secret squat behind your desk while you're pretending to sit down. Hold that for 30 seconds then sit. Do this every time you got up.

Granted some of this looks silly, but it works. You can get a lot of movement in throughout the day, without it costing any actual time.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    i work 2 jobs, average 60-80 hours a week and still manage to workout 4 times a week. it's about not making excuses. i had to start working out before work during the week. just not enough time after.

can you skip your lunch break for your 40hr/week job? that's what i do- instead of an hour eating i spend an hour sweating and then just eat at my desk. 2 days a week before work, 2 days during lunch. that's how i get it done.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Stop the excuses and get your butt up 30 min early. I dare you.
  • AmyBoogie
    AmyBoogie Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I attempt to get up earlier. This used to work all the time. Now it's about 3-4 times a week that I can actually make it up early enough to get something done. Even if I'm doing good, I will do some exercises at my desk. Squats, desk pushups, walking in place....things like that.

I do HIIT workouts in the evening. 15-20 minute workouts from Zuzana light or Bodyrock or TIU. Or if I really have time I'll pull out 30 day shred which is just a tad longer.
  • LaloFitness
    Options
    First thing I would try is to train hard when you can -- Friday, Saturday, and Sunday -- incorporating a full body workout across the three days. Resistance training with proper form. Make sure you eat accordingly, keeping your calories appropriate to your energy expenditure on all days will be just as important as your exercise.

Then on your "busy schedule" days, if you can get in some extra, it's a bonus. But if you can't, they'll be no need to stress. And if you realize that you can't, get the cardio benefits of doing some circuit training in your weekend workouts (low or no rest between sets, in a nutshell).
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Try a few 10-15 minute workouts.

I do a 10 minute arm workout called 10 Minute Tank Top Arms. The same YouTube channel that has that one has tons of great 10 minute workouts put together by fitness professionals.

I also like Leslie Sansone's 1 Mile Walk at Home. It is a quick 15 minute video. She also has some 5 minute videos for people who just need to get up and moving.
  • mclick1
    mclick1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I tried waking up early, but I was overly tired. I wake up at 6:30 and don't get to bed until around 10:30 usually. I am a teacher though, so I'm standing/moving about 80% of my full time work day, which helps. I walk to and from my second job, but cycling/walking to my full time job isn't really an option because of the distance(It's roughly a 30 minute commute by car)

Thanks for all of your suggestions though. I'm going to try working out at night with 30 day shred :) . Hopefully it wont wake me up too much and I'll still be able to sleep.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options

I do a 10 minute arm workout called 10 Minute Tank Top Arms. The same YouTube channel that has that one has tons of great 10 minute workouts put together by fitness professionals.

I also like Leslie Sansone's 1 Mile Walk at Home. It is a quick 15 minute video. She also has some 5 minute videos for people who just need to get up and moving.

I agree with this. 10 minutes here and there can add up on the really busy days.
  • mclick1
    Options
    i work 2 jobs, average 60-80 hours a week and still manage to workout 4 times a week. it's about not making excuses. i had to start working out before work during the week. just not enough time after.

can you skip your lunch break for your 40hr/week job? that's what i do- instead of an hour eating i spend an hour sweating and then just eat at my desk. 2 days a week before work, 2 days during lunch. that's how i get it done.

I wasn't trying to make excuses. I am a teacher in my full time job, I get 30 minutes for lunch and there is a Y near my building, but by the time I get there, I would have to turn around. I have considered taking my lunch with the students and then walking/running during that 30 minutes, but with changing involved, I lose a lot of the time I would have to work out.

I'm considering bringing a jump rope and leaving it with the gym teacher to use while I'm at lunch. And I try to play football/kickball with the students or at least walk while they are at recess.

I also sneak in a couple of "dumbbell" curls when parents send heavy things like watermelon for snack. lol.

I'm working out, I just feel weird when I don't do a "proper" workout. I guess I'll have to make it work, but thank you for the suggestion!
  • mclick1
    Options

I agree with this. 10 minutes here and there can add up on the really busy days.

Thank you! Both of you!
  • lolee624
    lolee624 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher, too, so I understand where you are coming from! If you have an IPhone/IPad/ITouch or Android device (phone or tablet), there are some great apps (free!). I just found some that have a 5 minute, 7.5 minute and 10 minute workout -- quick videos to follow. If they're on your phone, you can do them any time. The ones I have are Daily Cardio Workout, Daily Arm Workout and Daily Ab workout (by Daniel Miller -- found on Amazon). You could do these during your planning time, at recess, during dismissal time or while on bus duty....maybe even get the kids to do them, too!
  • sarasmiles124
    sarasmiles124 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar position at the moment when it comes to the busy schedule. I work 3-5 days a week at one job, once a week at a second job and two days a week for the third job. It's challenging and I often find I am unenergetic by the end of the day, but I need to get back on track with it as well. I wish you luck and I would love to add you on here if you would like.
  • mclick1
    Options
    I'm a teacher, too, so I understand where you are coming from! If you have an IPhone/IPad/ITouch or Android device (phone or tablet), there are some great apps (free!). I just found some that have a 5 minute, 7.5 minute and 10 minute workout -- quick videos to follow. If they're on your phone, you can do them any time. The ones I have are Daily Cardio Workout, Daily Arm Workout and Daily Ab workout (by Daniel Miller -- found on Amazon). You could do these during your planning time, at recess, during dismissal time or while on bus duty....maybe even get the kids to do them, too!

Thanks! I'll look these up today!
  • mclick1
    Options
    I am in a similar position at the moment when it comes to the busy schedule. I work 3-5 days a week at one job, once a week at a second job and two days a week for the third job. It's challenging and I often find I am unenergetic by the end of the day, but I need to get back on track with it as well. I wish you luck and I would love to add you on here if you would like.

Good luck! We can do it!