no fresh food for days!

Options
I am going to a conference next week and will not have access to "healthy" stuff for 5 days. I will be staying in a hotel without a microwave or fridge. I'm going with a group of people, so don't have a car to use, and really don't want to buy food from the hotel. Any ideas on what I can take with me? I just don't know how to get thru each day without access to a fridge or microwave. I can take some food with me - but not much since I'm roadtripping. Any meal ideas?

Replies

• lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I'm too lazy to bring my own food when I travel. But I have found that ordering fish/shrimp and a vegetable usually keeps my caloric intake reasonable. I keep almonds on hand for when I get the munchies.
  • FriedPicklePrincess
    Options
    things I am taking with me:
    90 cal granola bars
    100 cal bags of almonds
    LOTS of flavored water drinks (I forget to drink water and this helps me get it in)
    craisins or prunes
    a bag of pink lady apples

but these are all snacks - I need food!
  • karoske
    karoske Posts: 38
    Options
    Very hard situation!!! if most of your meals are going to be "out" then just plan, be smart on your choices and know what is in your food. It is actually pretty easy to eat at fast food "healthy" lots of salads, veggies, and nuts to help you feel full. If you know what restaurants are going to be around your hotel then research their "healthy" menu's. And if it is difficult to stay on track.. Just know that 5 days is over fast and get back to life when you get home!
    some travel food ideas:
    Nuts, cereal (kashi), fruit, cheese sticks...
    Just know you can do this! :)
  • nimiry
    nimiry Posts: 20
    Options
    I would tell you to take all kinds of dry food you can take

crispbread
    nuts
    rice cracker
    pretzel sticks

in addition I would take yoghurts to drink ... if you can put them outside the window they should last for 5 days... it's cold enogh outside I guess- otherwise they still should last 3 days :-)
    maybe you'll find some supermarket on the way...

maybe this could help you too:

gherkin's (or other veggies and salads in preserving jars) are really helpful when you have a real big apetitie...take a glas with you- you don't need to put them into a refridgerator, so this could help I guess? have almost none calories!
  • acureese
    acureese Posts: 169
    Options
    Things I like to take in those situations are apples, oranges, bananas, unsalted roasted nuts, whole grain crackers, lunch box sizes of rice or soy milk, and peanut or almond butter. (The bananas or apples with the nut butter and the soy milk is a great snack together :) ) When ordering, you can ask for them to go light on sauces and stick with non-creamy soups, salads, fish, grilled vegetables, brown rice, etc. I usually eat half or split an entree with someone and get a side salad for portion control. Restaurants can be very accommodating! :)
  • Hels40
    Hels40 Posts: 25
    Options
    Hi
    Can you get long life milk where you are? If so then obviously cereals and long life milk,so you can fill up on cereals.
    Also what about tins of tunasweetcorn and packets of couscous. Cracker breads which i think someone mentioned.
    I think that is a few things that will make decent meals.
    xxx
  • abstractk89
    Options
    well, since you are probably going to be eating out a lot, just make healthy choices where ever you go. choose vegetables or fruit instead of the normal french fries. on salads go for the light dressings or vinegarettes on the side so you can control the amount of dressing you use...etc. just a few ideas =)

i also like canned tuna with some pepper and lemon on crackers it's kind of more like a snack but i love it
  • siberiankiss
    Options
    Maybe someone has one of those mini-fridges you can borrow? Failing that they're not too expensive now. They don't hold a lot so you'd just have to buy stuff a day at a time. Shop-bought pasta salads etc or cooked chicken breasts.
  • Taradise
    Taradise Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    How about those packets of tuna fish they have on the shelves. The kind you just rip open. Pair that up with some crackers. If I was you, I'd opt out of eating everymeal out. I'd try to do lunch myself, and eat out with the group for dinner maybe. It's tough, make smart choices.
  • leeslim4life
    leeslim4life Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Can you fit a mini cooler (The ones that are a bit bigger than a lunch box) to store some yogurts, milk, tuna & fruits? You can always refill it using the hotels ice maker.
    Your list above seems really good! You got it girl!!!

Is there a gym? If so, get that workout in, even if you are tired beyond tired....dig deep!!! Best of luck!!! :wink:
  • FriedPicklePrincess
    Options
    I have to pay an extra $25 a day to rent a mini fridge in my hotel room (ridiculous!!!!) so thats my main dilemna. I love the tuna idea - never thought about the individual packets. That will help a lot. I am a poor college student - so eating out may be a problem because we will be in dowtown Dallas - so either really expensive or very bad fast food. I'm trying to stay away from that stuff. I found out my hotel has a couple of places to eat at inside of it - but a garden salad for $12 makes me angry lol.