Dieting and working out for 1 1/2 months and not losing!

I really need help! I am trying to lose weight the natural way with no diet pills but am getting very frustrated and about to lose my mind and give in. I have been working out 4-5 times a week doing pure cardio. I eat my 1200 or less calories a day and nothing. I even started seeing a nutritionist 3 weeks and ago and went back for a follow up yesterday, and she could not believe that I havent lost weight, especially since I printed my logs and she seen everything I ate. I need some help and motivation. :cry: :cry:

Replies

• Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    If you are truly logging everything you are eating and measuring your food etc, you should be losing. I would recommend that you not eat under 1200 calories and eat back some but not all of your exercise calories. If that doesn't work then I would suggest going to the doctor to get some blood work done. Like getting your thyroid checked or see if there is an underlying reason as to why you are not losing.

Good luck.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Hi. The first thing I can think of is make sure 1200 is above your BMR when you deduct your workout calories. Good luck!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Eating less than 1200 is not a good idea. You will lose initially, and then stall.

Here is a good calculator that will help you figure out what your BMR and TDEE is. You want to shoot for about 20% less than TDEE.

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    I am also on the 1200 cal limit and was in a similar spot a month in (going on month 4 now)...I now always eat the full 1200 and usually eat back most of my exercise calories and have incorporated strength training 3 days a week - WOW - 10 lbs gone and it has improved my running pace.

I focus on staying within my calories - I am always over on Protein and Fiber and really feel strongly that MFP underestimates these macros.

Eat more, incorporate strength training.
  • laurenb1994
    laurenb1994 Posts: 40 Member
    Is it possible that you have lost fat but gained muscle weight, therefor staying the same weight?
  • catodd
    catodd Posts: 37 Member
    Try reading a book called Enter The Zone by Barry Sears. I have always thought about diet calorifically. Energy out greater than energy in =weight loss. But after many years of studying the subject of diet and training (most of my life). Something became apparent to me. I like having a beer not much at all but I do. I use mfp to count the calories and was strict with them. The funny thing is that on 2000 cals a day without beer. the weight dropped off VERY fast. Same calorific intake with beer weight loss was slow even non existant. WHY???? This book explains exactly why and shows you not just a diet but a life changing dietary programme which really works and gives explanations for it!! In short it looks at the hormonal effects of food, when you eat, how much you eat and its composition ratios of carbs protein and fat. It shows how high amounts of carbs (beer ) in my case causes a high insulin response which quickly stores all of your blood sugar as glycogen and FAT!! A good explanation for me was. Why is it that when you have a few beers youre always hungry ? simply because of the high amount of carbs in booze the high insulin response and the brains inability to get the glycogen it needs as the insulin locks away all the fat and the stored glycogen so your brain tells you youre hungry. I know I went off subject there but read the book its the key to YOUR weight loss!! good luck
  • Actually my nutritionist informed me to eat less since she thinks that 1200 calories is what I need to maintain. She also said if I havent lost in 2 weeks when I go back to see her, the she is going to suggest my thyroid to be checked
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Actually my nutritionist informed me to eat less since she thinks that 1200 calories is what I need to maintain. She also said if I havent lost in 2 weeks when I go back to see her, the she is going to suggest my thyroid to be checked

I think she is wrong.
  • catodd
    your training and your on 1200 cals a day and that will maintain???? Id sack the nutritionist. When you find your thyroid is ok. Read that book I told you about. It also states in many places in it that nutritionists are "dead wrong" the authors words not mine. I really is worth reading. Good luck!
  • I'm not a nutritionist, but even sedentary people need more than 1200 to maintain.. Well in my case I needed 1800 to maintain even when I was a complete couch potato.
    I would suggest eating more for a few weeks and seeing what it does for you, but like I said I'm not a nutritionist.. but it does sound weird what she is suggesting..
    Have you read the post about eating 700 cals a day and staying obese? I lost the link :/
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    How about sharing your diary?
  • catodd
    How about sharing your diary?
    good idea
  • :love: WEIGHTS!!! seriously a lot of people on here will tell you the same...start lifting!! I have lost more weight and inches through weight training than any cardio ever did for me. I do both because i want to stay fit but its the lifting thats really making it for me
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    I would say for now, ignore all the MFP advice from all the "experts" and just do what your nutritionist suggests. That sounds pretty solid to me.

As a suggestion, you should incorporate lifting into your workouts. Cardio is good, but it's not effective by itself, you need to lift weight. I think you will see better result if you lift, unless you actually do have a medical issue, which it never hurts to check.
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    I really need help! I am trying to lose weight the natural way with no diet pills but am getting very frustrated and about to lose my mind and give in. I have been working out 4-5 times a week doing pure cardio. I eat my 1200 or less calories a day and nothing. I even started seeing a nutritionist 3 weeks and ago and went back for a follow up yesterday, and she could not believe that I havent lost weight, especially since I printed my logs and she seen everything I ate. I need some help and motivation. :cry: :cry:

Bump up your calorie intake for a week or so. Then go back down...it works for me when I get in a slump...
  • alzaman5925
    alzaman5925 Posts: 64 Member
    I would say for now, ignore all the MFP advice from all the "experts" and just do what your nutritionist suggests. That sounds pretty solid to me.

As a suggestion, you should incorporate lifting into your workouts. Cardio is good, but it's not effective by itself, you need to lift weight. I think you will see better result if you lift, unless you actually do have a medical issue, which it never hurts to check.

Yea, I would absolutely agree with what this poster is saying. In addition, I would also recommend contacting another nutritionist for a second opinion. I kind of agree that 1200 sounds pretty low for maintenance, but then I have no formal education in this field. If you can find another professional who agrees with your current nutritionist, then ignore us and follow her plan of action as it would seem she knows what she's talking about. :)