Better Late than Never

Options
I think I'm doing this a little backwards, but better late than never. I've already been here for a few days logging my calories, but I need friends! I've been on a steady climb in weight ever since I quit smoking in January 2011. When I stepped on the scale the other day I realized that I have gained almost 50 pounds in the last two years -- unacceptable. So here I am. After way too many Coca-Colas, Dr. Peppers, and Cadbury Dairy Milk bars I am ready to re-commit to a healthy lifestyle. I love to exercise both in the gym and outdoors, so my battle is truly with the sugar monster. I'm starting my day with a horrible sugar withdrawal headache, so I know it's time to find some support. Getting through the first week without sugar is (or so I've read) pretty horrific, but I'm motivated to get though it. Feel free to add me as a friend for mutual support and inspiration!

Replies

• yellgiant
    yellgiant Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey Helena,

Believe me when I tell you I know what that feel like, I tackled that same situation last year. The craving for sugar was awful, but you'll be so proud of yourself when you get through that phase. I lost 1st and a half last year just by changing snacks from chocolate/coke/biscuits to other things I liked but that were not bad for me. Now I'm back to put some exercise and all round better eating into my life to get me into a healthy weight range.

My one big piece of advice is to substitute the sugar snacks with something else, whether that be water if calories are a problem or something low calorie. Don't eat stuff you just don't like- its not feasible for the future you'll just go back to what you did like- the sugar. Muller light yourghurts and cheese and lettuce wrapped in ham were two of my favourite substitutes that I still eat to this day. Thats just what I found worked, hope this helps.
  • NurseJodies
    NurseJodies Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I replaced sugar with fruit. Cantaloupe and watermelon are my favorites go-to's when I'm really craving sweet. But I also like greek yogurt for a healthier sweet snack. Hope this helps.
  • helena1210
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I've had yogurt and coffee the last two days for breakfast instead of a 32oz Coca-Cola. I'm sure my body is happy about that...the tough part is convincing my brain to feel the same :-)
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I, too, find that eating fruit helps me get through the sugar cravings. Chewing gum can also, help time my mind off any cravings. Hang in there, it won't be much longer and you will get through this stage and it will definitely be worth it. You will begin to feel like you are in control of your body instead of your body being in control of you.