VERY hard first day of C25K

Options
So today I did my first ever day of C25K and I almost died. Seriously, I was NOT expecting it to be that hard! I am not hugely fit but I do walk 1 hour a day, 4 days a week carrying a really heavy bag, and thought that I was at least relatively fit. I expected it to hurt, and for it to be hard, but I seriously underestimated how hard it would be. I only made it through the first two 60 second runs, and then it was a struggle just to walk after that. It is quite hilly in my area, but still, I thought I would make it farther than I did. I didn't want to just give up so I walked for another 20 minutes before heading home, but still felt pretty discouraged for awhile. Then I went and had a look at the FAQ page and sure enough they had a question about not being able to complete the first day. Next time I try it (in 3 days) I am going to only run at 30 second intervals for the first week, then 45 seconds, and then try for the whole minute, and if I have to repeat weeks, I will. I really hope I can keep up with this, because I would just LOVE to be able to run for 30 mins straight. In a way today was a victory in that I just got out the door - I have been way to self-conscious to ever even think about doing that before, so that is huge step forward right there. Anyone else been in a similar position? Hard day one but pushed through?

Replies

• Aventuria
    Options
    Just don't give up, you will reach the 5k goal in your own time! :flowerforyou:
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    God yes! I thought I was goign to die, it was too hot my head felt so warm and I was WAY too sweaty! when I was done, I victory walked to the shower and when I got out I was so excited I did it that I messaged my partner (who was proud of me) and my mum (who thinks I'm a dork!)
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Make sure to go at your own pace. If you need to just speed walk, then by all means speed walk! When the program tells you to run, it doesn't mean you have to sprint. Remember to listen to your body.

Good job seeing it through to the end, no need to feel discouraged! You can do it!
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    don't give up and go at your own pace if need be.

Also you may find when running alone you sprint. this tires you out you need to jog at a slower pace.
  • LisaJ2904
    LisaJ2904 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I felt exactly the same and repeated week one about fout times. I began in March and in June this year ran my first 5k. I actually cried when I got to the 4k marker because I was amazed that I had achieved that far. I signed up for the Race for Life which motivated me to keep at it. I knew I had to keep trying because I was determined to run that race and I completed 5 K in 36 mins.OMG !

After my first run when I felt like my heart was about to leap from my chest, when I was literally dragging my feet accross the ground rather than lifting them, when I was sweating, panting and wheezing, when dog walkers seemed to be moving faster then me; I carried on. I was so hard but I did it.

And REALLY if I can do it ANYBODY can.

So congratulations for getting out there and beginning, you can do it and I look forward to hearing you story at the other end. xx
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Slow down running!!! That is the hardest thing to running, learning how to pace yourself. You will get there. I ran my first mile ever in April. I stopped running for two months, from May to July. I started running again in the middle of July. I now regularly run 5k. If I can, anyone can.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You need to slow down...a lot. 60 seconds really isn't that bad if you go slow enough. Also find flat areas to run if you can.. like a school track or flat field.

I am def. not a runner, and yet I ran 4 miles in 48 minutes the other morning. The program works, but you have to go slow and know that speed comes with time.
  • klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You have gotten great advice here. The key is to slow down, like way day down. I am probably the slowest runner ever. Going that slow made it possible to get through C25K. I've completed the program and am only now working to increase my pace as I start the bridge to 10K. You can do this. Be patient with yourself.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Other people have said it, but I just want to reinforce: make sure your pace is slow enough. It is hard at first to feel that out, but you do not need to be running fast. And don't give up! Running is really hard at first, and it is a struggle for most people, so you are not alone. I exercised a lot before I started running, so I thought it would be easy for me....I was SO wrong! You just have to be determined and have patience, and you will surprise yourself. If you need to repeat weeks in the program, then do it. If you stick with it, you will be running a 5k, I promise....even though that may seem impossible right now. I couldn't run a mile back in January, and now I am running my first half marathon in two weeks!
  • felicity866
    Options
    Don't give up!!! I almost died my first day...if i had needed cpr i could not have called for it...i was too busy just trying to breath...lol...and while i may be laughing now i really did struggle. i have never run at any time in my life and to get through c25k was a huge achievement for me...i can now run 5km with relative comfort (still not easy) but i am moving forward doing the bridge to 10k...back to square one on the struggle front but i will get there...even my family have stopped laughing at the thought of me running now so that in itself is an achievement!!!

repeat the days and/or weeks as you need to and you will make it to the end...make sure you run very slow this program is about getting to the end without injury it is not about speed. be patient and you will learn to love it!
  • hotsalsita
    Options
    It's so nice to know that other people have been here! I feel way better now and will definitely keep up with it. Thanks for the advice and good luck with your bridge to 10k!
  • hotsalsita
    Options
    I think that pacing is a problem. I hadn't thought about it at all before, but I was just taking off and going as fast as I could, I think this will definitely help! Thank you!
  • hotsalsita
    Options
    SO happy other people have been here!
  • Anthyitis
    Anthyitis Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Definitely been there. I had to take a break from C25K and just run intervals that felt like they were comfortable for me. I also switched apps when I went back to it, to one that allowed me to change the duration of my walk/run intervals if I needed to. I still can't run 30 minutes straight, but at least I can now finish a 5k. :)
  • wildside79
    Options
    Been there.... learning to pace is the first thing you need to teach yourself. Its not about how much faster you are moving, but that you are moving a bit faster. When I first wanted to start running I went w/o a program, and gave myself shin splints that lasted for almost 2 months because when it was time to run, I would go at my top speed until winded. With the program I was able to go through the weeks, and SLOWLY work up my endurance and speed.

And even after week 9 I still needed to practice a few weeks to get to the point where I could complete the 5k in 30 minutes. My last run was timed at 25:18 and my goal for next year is sub 24. I'll swear by the c25k program, just keep at it and adjust as needed.
  • lsilly15
    lsilly15 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It gets easier!
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    You'll get there. Keep on keepin' on...............
  • jhoyett
    jhoyett Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that struggled with this...keep it up, you'll be running those hills in NO TIME!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Don't give up just yet on it! The great thing about this program is being able to tweak it to meet your needs. Consider slowing your pace down as well, even if that means nothing more than a fast walk, you will build up endurance and that is the key. Also focus on breathing during those walk intervals, take some really deep breaths and that will help you later on.
    And if it is any encouragement to you, I started C25K right about 2 years ago and since then I've run several 5K's, a 10K, two 5 mile races, a half marathon and a full marathon...and now I'm preparing for my send 1/2 and full. So it does work!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    If you are already used to walking a lot, you should be able to do this. I think you are running too fast. Slow down, wayyyy down. If you can slow down at all while jogging, you're going too fast. The point is to get through the program slowly, then add speed later.

Good luck!