Salad problem

Options
Hi. I like to eat salads with romaine lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumbers but my problem is that I don't like lettuce so in order to make it taste good, I drown it with dressing. Usually I have a raspberry dressing that is around 35 cal per 2 teaspoons. How do I make lettuce taste good without putting on so much dressing. I usually love fruits and veggies but I don't like lettuce or celery. Any tips?

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    If it's iceberg lettuce you're having, I'm with you. Have you tried baby spinach? It's got a nicer (imo) texture, and a nuttier flavour. I find that red or green leaf lettuce also have a nice feel.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    You don't have to have lettuce in a salad. Some lettuce can be bitter and not pleasant at all. You could have capsicum, carrot, courgette, cucumber, mushrooms without lettuce.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat lettuce or celery.
  • laurwillbelovely
    Options
    What about spinach leaves instead?Or have a warm asian salad and cook up a little bok choi, garlic a bit of orange juice, chilli and water chestnuts which is pretty delicious. Or even have a bean salad (green beans, kidney beans, a few corn kernels) which is lovely too and very filling and NO lettuce!
  • SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I personally don't mind thr greens, but I find that when I add some juicy fruit to my salad, I don't even need any dressing . Try adding pineapple/ orange/ grapefruit stuff like that.the most tasty one is cantaloupe or honeydew melon
  • kmhenry84
    kmhenry84 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I don't like romaine lettuce either. I prefer Iceburg, which has pretty much no nutritional value, so I tend to stick with green beans or some other fruit/veggie.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    OK how about having all the toppings to a salad instead of adding the lettuce. Maybe have those toppings over rice or even on Baked Potatoes..skip that lettuce all together.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    35 calories for your dressing? Is that all? I wouldnt worry about it, just enjoy.
  • wadhaa
    Options
    I have the same problem i hate lettuce at all!
    I'm not salad person
    I prefer greek salad
    Or eat cucmber alone :(
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Chop the lettuce in fine strips. I hate big pices of lettuce so if you do a larger style chiffonad with the romaine and make it more of an accompaniment, for the texture, rather than a main part of the salad it makes it so much easier to tolerate. Make the other ingredients in your salad be the standouts! Also consider adding a couple more ingredients i.e. quinoa, red onion, bell peppers and you would be surprised how far a little lemon juice and salt and pepper go when dressing a salad.
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    If you don't like lettuce, don't have lettuce in your salad! Though I would say try some more varieties before giving up - Romaine is only one sort. I like rocket and spinach or those baby leaves mixtures.