"Filling" foods are not filling...

Options
So, I have been trying out all the different things I hear about on here for breakfast. Hard-boiled egg, high fibre cereal, oatmeal, yogurt w/ fruit etc. I always find I'm hungry again about an hour later... However because I drink coffee I'm not able to eat anything until lunch time, unless I want to have soup for lunch and add extra time to my workout.

Does anyone else find that these foods are not actually all that filling? Any other suggestions?

Replies

• lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    drink more water! My trainer says to drink at least half your body weight! Man, it helps with the getting full part. I like to have lemon in mine. Also add more veggies to each meal, really hard to over eat with veggies, sounds weird, but throw broccoli in with your eggs!
    have snap peas with you for snacking. Good luck!:wink:
  • meganwojo
    meganwojo Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    60% of the time you feel hungry, you are actually just thirsty. As told by my nutritionist. Try drinking a big glass of skim milk with your breakfast, I bet it will help or Orange Juice :)
  • caristear
    Options
    Drink a lot of water and lots of vegetables with each meal.
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    Coffee itself doesn't have that many calories in it. What do you put in it?
    I make mine at home, use Splenda and Coffee Mate and my giant cup (1 3/4 c... haha) is only 35 calories.
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    drink more water! My trainer says to drink at least half your body weight! Man, it helps with the getting full part. I like to have lemon in mine.

What do you mean by that? Like... in pounds of water?
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    you might want to add a healthy fat in there too, nuts, ground flax seed.....these help with keeping you feeling fuller longer as well.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    drink more water! My trainer says to drink at least half your body weight! Man, it helps with the getting full part. I like to have lemon in mine.

What do you mean by that? Like... in pounds of water?

That mean that if you weigh 200 pounds, for example, you would drink 100 ounces.
  • shughes6
    Options
    having a combination of protein, fiber and fat in the diet will help with satiety. Here are some ideas for breakfast:
    -oatmeal w/ dried fruit, walnuts and milk served w/ 4oz yogurt and piece of fruit
    -two whole grain piece of toast, boiled egg, kefir milk
    - all bran cereal with sliced bananas, blueberries, Greek style yogurt
    - egg bean burrito with veggies on whole wrap
    -veggie omlet with whole grain toast and fruit
    -quinoa mixed oatmeal, and dried fruit
    -whole wheat blueberry pancakes, scrambled eggs and fruit
    -hummus, pita bread and tabbouleh
  • lovemyboys27
    Options
    Coffee itself doesn't have that many calories in it. What do you put in it?
    I make mine at home, use Splenda and Coffee Mate and my giant cup (1 3/4 c... haha) is only 35 calories.

I have 4 cups according to my coffee maker (but it's actually only 2 regular mugs worth) and I put sweetener and cream in. 5% cream, I put 2 tbsp in each. It takes up 60 calories, which is a lot when breakfast can sometimes get up to 300+.. I get 1400 for the day, and tend to eat the most at dinner (which I know isn't the best) so I like to make sure I have enough left.
  • lovemyboys27
    Options
    having a combination of protein, fiber and fat in the diet will help with satiety. Here are some ideas for breakfast:
    -oatmeal w/ dried fruit, walnuts and milk served w/ 4oz yogurt and piece of fruit
    -two whole grain piece of toast, boiled egg, kefir milk
    - all bran cereal with sliced bananas, blueberries, Greek style yogurt
    - egg bean burrito with veggies on whole wrap
    -veggie omlet with whole grain toast and fruit
    -quinoa mixed oatmeal, and dried fruit
    -whole wheat blueberry pancakes, scrambled eggs and fruit
    -hummus, pita bread and tabbouleh

I do sometimes have an egg (microwaved so nothing added) on toast and that usually keeps me full but gets old after about 3 days!

Those are all good ideas, I think I need to do these up a few days ahead and have them waiting in the fridge. Another issue is time, with a pair of 2 year olds, I don't get much time to spend in the kitchen in the morning!
  • shughes6
    Options
    Pick a moment when u have some down time to prepare small meals and snacks. Have someone help with the preparation. Don't limit yourself to eating typical breakfast foods. Try 3oz salmon, 1 cup of streamed broccoli with a small baked/microwave sweet potato which will equate to under 350 calories. I'm a Registered Dietitian so I'm use to coming up with meals low in calorie, nutrient-dense, high fiber (5g or more) and balanced.

Good luck to u!
  • Christie422
    Christie422 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I find I have the same problem...like in the afternoon I have a serving of whole natural almonds as a snack and they do nothing for me! I'll have to try the drinking more water thing.

I've been making breakfast sandwiches in the morning with those sandwich thins, one egg plus one egg white and a slice of canadian bacon. It leaves me pretty full and its only 220 calories. For me eating protein doesn't leave me feeling full very long, I have to have some carbs in there too, so I just try to make them good carbs.