Having a weird problem

Options
I've been on my plan for 5 weeks and have been doing pretty well but these past few days, whenever I look in the mirror I seem to be getting bigger.

I'm not. The numbers on the scale are going down, my clothes are getting loose and people are starting to ask me if I'm losing weight. When I look in the mirror and focus on one body part at a time, I can see that body part has gotten smaller. Yet every time I look at my whole body, It seems like I'm swelling up like Violet Beauregarde.

It's freaking me out. Anyone have any idea why this is happening... or how to make it stop?

Replies

• Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I've been on my plan for 5 weeks and have been doing pretty well but these past few days, whenever I look in the mirror I seem to be getting bigger.

I'm not. The numbers on the scale are going down, my clothes are getting loose and people are starting to ask me if I'm losing weight. When I look in the mirror and focus on one body part at a time, I can see that body part has gotten smaller. Yet every time I look at my whole body, It seems like I'm swelling up like Violet Beauregarde.

It's freaking me out. Anyone have any idea why this is happening... or how to make it stop?

I honestly don't know, but I feel like this is happening to me as well... ?
  • brengearhart
    brengearhart Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've had that problem, talked to my doctor apparently its because we are so used to seeing ourselves as bigger, but in reality we are smaller, it just takes a while for our brain to catch up with the weight loss and seeing it.. I still see myself as overweight even tho, now I'm not..
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    It sounds like BDD. I get a little bit of this sometimes, too. It is like I have a picture of myself in my head, but the mirror shows a different story. Your mind knows you are losing weight, and you know you have been working really hard for it, too. But then you see the mirror and the progress seems non-existent.

I have a photo of myself at my (recent) top weight that I keep in my email in box. It is the first thing I see every time I open my email. It is an excellent reminder of where I started, so that when I look in the mirror right after, I can really see my progress.

Maybe try putting a "before" pic up on your mirror. This will help keep things in perspective.
  • TinaBasinger
    Options
    Take a full body picture now....and don't look at it for a couple weeks. Then take another as you notice that you're shrinking. Compare the two. That will allow you to focus in on the truth, and not the games our mind plays on us. Good luck!
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Are you perhaps retaining water? If you are working out regularly sometimes your muscles will retain a little water to help repair themselves, so i have read. Sometimes it's what I eat, I am sensitive to sodium though. If other people are aseeing a loss then I wouldn't worry too much. However, if you push on your calves and feet does your skin bounce right back or leave an indention or are your rings tight if you wear one? That is one way to tell if you are actually swelling.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    UGGGGG. Hoping you don't turn blue like Violet. LOL Probably just your imagination playing tricks on you.
  • cgale8
    cgale8 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Your memory has an innate ability to remember things a certain way. You have always looked at yourself and saw a heavier person. Now you logically know that your not but it does take time for your brain to "catch up" to your new reality. It's a phantom memory much like an amputee that still feels their limb that is no longer there. Give your brain some time to catch up. If it doesn’t get better then I would check with your doctor to rule out BDD – body dysmorphic disorder
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your image of yourself is not matching measurable reality. Some people get obsessed about the scale number, and they look at their reflection to remind themself of reality. Looks like you've got the opposite problem.

When you look in the mirror, talk to yourself. Say all those things you KNOW are true, you're getting smaller and lighter, etc. Stand there with your measuring tape, measure yourself, then look in the mirror so you can see what that looks like. Step on the scale in front of the mirror and look up and say "this is what x pounds looks like."

And otherwise, maybe stop looking at your whole body in the mirror unless you really need to. Seriously.
  • Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Body dismorphia? I remember seeing a program and the trainer said (about the girl who was losing weight and was about helfway through) she was still the 'fat girl' inside.

You could start tape measuring some bits of your body if you dont already, sometimes even with weight on the scales it doesnt seem real, but being able to say "yes, I've lost 3 inches off my tummy" makes it seem a lot more real.
  • Khymera
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. It's a great help to know that some of you have been through this, too. I don't know that I can stand to take a picture of myself at this point, but I can certainly stop looking at myself in the mirror (other than making sure my clothes aren't inside-out!)

Thanks again. :flowerforyou:
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I still feel that way and I've lost 58lbs and 6 sizes! I look in the mirror and I still see me as looking the same as I did in the beginning. I think it just has to do with what you are used to seeing and it can be hard to adjust.

Just keep plugging away and eventually you'll see it!
  • AverageAngel
    AverageAngel Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Are you perhaps retaining water? If you are working out regularly sometimes your muscles will retain a little water to help repair themselves, so i have read. Sometimes it's what I eat, I am sensitive to sodium though. If other people are aseeing a loss then I wouldn't worry too much. However, if you push on your calves and feet does your skin bounce right back or leave an indention or are your rings tight if you wear one? That is one way to tell if you are actually swelling.

I get bloat and water retention when I pick up my running. It is not fair lol! I force myself to drink water crystal light/tea.. Often when I am most puffy, I need hydration. Good luck though! Hang in there!
  • TXStephSki
    TXStephSki Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I definitely had this problem when I first started losing. My main issue was that I never really "saw" my weight gain, so my brain told me I was fine even though my scale kept going up. Once I started losing weight, it was like all I could see was how far I had to go. What helped me was having a piece of clothing that was a little too tight, and I would try it on every week after my weigh in. Then I could really see progress- it wasn't as tight on my arms or back or hips, etc. Good luck and hang in there!!!
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I feel that way often, but I think it's because I'm looking at myself more critically now that I'm trying to lose weight, Before I would just glance at my reflection and accept the fact that I am overweight. Now I seem to focus on specific areas and wonder why certain parts of me look the same (or bigger). I agree with the theory that it takes time for your mind to catch up to your body. I also agree that taking pictures is a good idea, I now regret that I was too ashamed to take pictures to help me recognize my accomplishments so far. This is part of my life and (good or bad) in the future I'd like to be able to look back on it; it's the only life I have.

Hang in there, you will start to notice the results.
  • dotido
    Options
    Did you used to look in the mirror a lot and instantly think about your weight?

When I wasn't trying to lose weight I thought I looked fine or just checked in the mirror to see if my clothes an make up were fine but when I was trying to lose weight I started to look in the mirror to check my weight and I was really looking at every detail--

That thigh fat, that big bum, those bumps on the outside of my thighs, cellulite, puffy arms Blah Blah Blah.

When you try to lose weight and do a lifestyle change you expect to look perfect but on your way there you start to get picky.

You are probably fine so keep up the good work.
  • GoddessAmy
    GoddessAmy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Another thing many weight loss experts recommend is to make sure you wear clothing that fits well to help you mentally see the progress you've made. If you're looking at yourself in now baggy, too large clothing it may distort how you look. Have pants/Skirts taken in and focus on flattering outfits (without spending too much, since you are still losing ...). This may help the way you see yourself, and will probably make you feel better as well!
  • lisadiane41
    Options
    I think people should be happy in their own skin whether they are skinny or over weight. Everyone is beautiful in there own way. No one should be so critical of themselves. At times we all feel like we have to change something about ourselves. But the most important thing is to feel comfortable in your own skin and to know that you love yourself no matter what and who cares what other people think. It only matters what you think and nothing else. I think it is amazing to hear your stories of encouragement but stay true to yourself and know that you are all beautiful in your own way.